Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

meyery2k

I survived Ken's Pancake House!!!

meyery2k

We represent the Toshiba line of product and the sales engineer comes to Hawaii to work with us twice a year.  He will spend the day in Hilo with me.  We get along great being about the same age and technical competence.  We are both geeks too...

He likes to go to a place called Ken's Pancake House which is known for, wait for it, pancakes....  The irony was that today was national pancake day.

I was stressing over this all weekend because this would be a big test for me.  They serve these large breakfasts with 2 sides of starch.  You can choose rice, or hash browns AND toast or, yep, pancakes.

I really enjoy hash browns.  The pancakes, I will eat them since they are part of the meal, but they are typical pancakes.

We go to the restaurant and sit in a booth (my belly no longer touches the table by the way).  David is commenting on my weight loss and asking me how I did it.  I went into the restaurant and have a plan I learned at my first go of eating out.  I would order a side ala carte. 

I open the menu and, thankfully, discover that you can sub 1 item with tomatoes or cottage cheese and the other item with pineapple.  The entrée is already very large so I got this lol... 

David orders the hash browns and pancakes and I live vicariously through him.  I ordered a bacon and cheese omelet with tomato and pineapple on the side.  I was perfectly happy.  I had about 1/2 of a pineapple ring because I don't need all the carbs but, man, it sure tasted good!  I didn't have the opportunity to test but I think it was ok.

An unexpected benefit was that I did not have a greasy potato messing up my innards lol...

We later went to a store where they make candy.  When you walk in the door they give you a little sample cup with 2 small items in it.  A piece of their macadamia nut shortbread and a piece of their milk chocolate.  Each is about the size of a Hershey's Kiss.  It is served in a small white paper cup and I am always reminded of the medicine scene from "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" when I go there.

I made a decision that this was something diabetes would not rob me of.  I took my "medicine" and enjoyed the small sample of 100% Kona coffee they also give.  While shopping they have free samples of the other things they make but I avoided those.  In the past I would have had a "candy lunch" lol...

So I tested about 2 hours after the candy and I read at 101 with the Relion meter.  Whether it is the Relion or the One Touch 101 is a good number.

I told Kala and she, knowing how OCD I am about some things, commented that she was glad to see that I can still enjoy things like that once in a while.  Her reasoning, and mine, is that if it is a once in a great while thing that it is not going to really matter in the long run.

The whole day was a good day.  I got to see a good friend.  Eat a good meal and mostly stick to LC.  Have some fun and do something from the pre ClubD! days and not pay too dearly for it.

Seagal

You showed exemplary restraint, yet indulged small and had a great time!  Commendations are in order :congrats: 

jwags

I have learned when I go into restraunts to ask a lot of questions. My daughter is a chef and told me many restraunts add pancake batter to their scrambled eggs to fluff them up. Somfor those of us who are sensitive to wheat be careful.

meyery2k

I wonder if this is what is done here.  Their omelets come out looking so different than mine.  A bit puffier and fluffier...

modcarb

I wonder if this is what is done here.  Their omelets come out looking so different than mine.  A bit puffier and fluffier...

They probably have pancake batter in them.

IHOP states on their menu that they add it to their omelets.

TX_Clint

Add some milk to eggs when making omelets. I use unsweetened almond milk. Makes the omelet fluffy. Use a medium skillet on low heat with a pat of butter. When the bottom of the egg is firm. Add crumbled cooked bacon, sausage, jalapeño, and cheese then fold. Continue to heat for a bit. Add a dash of salt and black pepper. Remove and toss on a bit of shredded cheese and some Cholula sauce and walla. 

jwags

My daughter is a chef at a small restraunt and the owner wanted to know why her omlettes weren't as fluffy as the ones at IHOP and a Perkins. My daughter told her it is widely known that they add pancake batter to eggs to give them that fluffy look. So always ask. I find if you are making eggs at home,mwhit your heavy cream and fold it into your egg mixture before cooking.

meyery2k

All great advice.  I usually use sour cream when whipping the eggs.  I get good results just not like the pancake house.  Of course if I put pancake batter in things it would come out different lol...

One other benefit of club membership, you learn to cook lol...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.