Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sweetstar

Metformin and Alcohol

sweetstar

I know many of us are taking Metformin.  Do you drink alcohol as well?  I love a glass of wine at night and am wondering if you do 

drink wine or other alcoholic beverages if you have had any side affects.

Thanks for any insight you may have.

Rbubbaray

I enjoy beer , I started doing the more serious get my sugar on track thing about a week ago . by taken metformin and on a low carb diet . I hated metformin last time i tried it , cause side effects i got , but I notice now taken them for a while lessens that ...After a week of dieting , and getting on track a bit .. last night I decided its a night to cheat a bit .. I got myself some cold ones . Natty lights beer { 3+ carb each } but before all this my average numbers was always 200 + even at waking . and since ive been following a more routine the numbers have dropped . lowest about 140 .. So last night I was thinking to myself , I am gonna be high 200s np . about 3 beers and a snack of salad , I decided to check my sugars . it was 135 .. hmm not bad for me . esp having some beers.. Then I had a few more and called it a night . the next morning I took my reading , it was the lowest i ever seen in 4 years . 114 . I was really excited , I figured the metformin and dieting is working now .

But one theory always stuck in back of my head , I read and also checked sugar lvls after a few drinks and they claim while the carbs in beer can effect high lvls , the alcohol in booze can actually  lower sugar numbers , some diabetes websites actually states " eat some carbs before drinking alcohol"  { to help risk low sugar  drops } I never have low sugar , so I don't eat the carbs .

Now I am not saying for everyone to become a lush .lol because I am sure anything is still healthier w/o booze , but man ..sometimes i wonder. ..

sweetstar

I often have a glass of red wine at dinner just after I have taken metformin and have not seen any impacts.

Dr. Bernstien has a good description of the cautions and impacts. See http://www.diabetes-book.com/alcohol/.

Thanks for the link.  Good article and really answered my question.  Also, supports what I had read in the past.

funkynassau

I'm not much of a drinker but when we go on holiday in the winter for 2-3 weeks in Mexico i drink a fair bit of beer.  I'm not a beer lover but it's so cheap and cold and safer than water!  Last month we were in Huatulco for 3 weeks and I had my share of beer, never enough to get inebriated.  I take Met and a few other meds and beer doesnt seem to affect my bg level.  Tho we were walking 2-4 miles every day so I probably wore it off.  The odd time I have a beer at home it doesnt affect me.

jwags

I used to drink red wine at night. it would normally lower my bgs a bit. I do think the metformin made me more suceptible tomthe effects of alcohol. More than 1 glass would make me tipsy. So Imstopped drinking wine.

jims_forum

Excellent topic and questions.

I always watch timing of met re drinking alcohol.

For me the met has a 2,5 hour delay from ingestion till when it reaches max in blood. and effects last 1 to 2 hours

blocking excess glucose release! I avoid drinking when met is up

and on . I have seen on cgms whereby alcohol can override effects of met stopping excess glucose release.

For me; I have seen extra diarrhea effects from met when alcohol loose when met being digested.

So I time my drinks of booze when met gone and not being digested nor up and on blocking excess glucose release.

Hard booze the worst and wine due to lower concentrations and fewer drinks seems as indicated here less of an issue!

Ela

I drink wine most evenings & then take my Met, no problems.

Same for me.

But I'd be watchful of beer - it DOES have carbs; different brands have different amounts, but some have A LOT.  

BigMouithXXX

The bad influence of alcohol with metformin is slight.  That said, the bad side effect can be death.  What you need to do is be aware of your kidney functions.  If they are normal, Modest amounts of alcohol pose no threat at all.

When you MIGHT get into trouble is if you are maxed out on metformin. 2000 mg ER or 2500 regular release and then you drink to excess. You are at the max but I bet you have been drinking since you went to the max dose. Nothing has changed.  I haven't heard of anyone dying this way.  Using radioactive dye in a X-ray is a different story.  The dye is far more powerful force on your kidneys than alcohol.  People do die from that.

MariaGordon
Taking this combination may cause a condition called lactic acidosis. Get emergency medical help if you have any of these symptoms of lactic acidosis: weakness, increasing sleepiness, slow heart rate, cold feeling, muscle pain, shortness of breath, stomach pain. Use alcohol cautiously.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.