Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

meyery2k

I had a very pleasant experience at Subway today....

meyery2k

I was on a network wiring project at a Starbucks today in a neighborhood that is a 90 minute drive from where I live.  The Big Island of Hawai'i is big indeed.

I did a bad thing and skipped lunch since we were in the phase of almost done and could eat lunch when we are done (or so I figured).  That lasted until 4PM.

The doctor told me skipping meals is not good for people with metabolic issues and this is the first time I have skipped a meal in nearly 3 months.

So at 4PM I figure I can drive home and eat a large meal (which is what I would used to do) knowing this is really bad for my BG control OR find a place to eat lunch and then eat a later dinner (treating it like a sort of missed medication).

I went to Subway since I knew I could get any sandwich made as a salad and not be too worried about carbs.  I went in and started to order.  The young woman behind the counter gave me no reason to do so but I blurted out that I was a "new" diabetic and restaurants still put me off a little.  She told me she also was diabetic and proceeded to tell me which dressings are ok for us and which salads are better for us.

She reaffirmed to me that kindness given is paid back, you just never know when.

I tipped $5 just because she went way out of her way to help me with kindness and with patience.  If I want a "fast food" fix I guess Subway is on the list.

The main reason she got a large tip, to be honest, was because she talked to me about eating to my meter and seeing that I can still enjoy some things I think may be off limits.  For sure, she wasn't advocating eating a king sized candy bar, but she did say try a small piece of pizza and see what happens.  You won't know until you try.  I must point out, though, that she did not recommend a sandwich with bread while helping me lol...

It is such a pleasure to see simple kindness still reigns sometimes.

Peggy_TX

It is such a pleasure to see simple kindness still reigns sometimes.

You might write up a little note and send it to the store.     Positive customer feedback like that could go a long way in helping her get the recognition she deserves from her management!

mom24grlz

that's awesome! Ashleigh's the closing manager at our local subway.  She's had other diabetics get excited when they recognize her dexcom CGM.

dowling gram

Kudos to that employee and great for you

I second writing a note or going into the Subway and telling the manager what a good employee he has and how she helped you. According to their commercials and sponsoring "The biggest loser" Subway classes itself as a healthy eating place and I'm sure they would be impressed. Too often we let kindness pass without giving a word of praise. I'm sure she appreciated the tip but I'm also sure she would appreciate her boss knowing that she helped you too.

Kit

Definitely write a note to the manager at least, or even the owner if possible.

First, it will make sure she gets the recognition she deserves for going above and beyond with customer service.

Second, it can maybe help bring out a little awareness as well.  Managers and owners learn they can get repeat business and loyal customers by offering options for various types of diets.

meyery2k

I did a litle detective work.  My friend in the Rotary Club owns a few Subways and was able to give me the contact information for the owner of the restaurant I visited.  I wrote a note explaining my visit yesterday because that was the right thing to do.

ant hill

I went to Subway since I knew I could get any sandwich made as a salad and not be too worried about carbs.  I went in and started to order.  The young woman behind the counter gave me no reason to do so but I blurted out that I was a "new" diabetic and restaurants still put me off a little.  She told me she also was diabetic and proceeded to tell me which dressings are ok for us and which salads are better for us.

She reaffirmed to me that kindness given is paid back, you just never know when.

I tipped $5 just because she went way out of her way to help me with kindness and with patience.  If I want a "fast food" fix I guess Subway is on the list.

If you to do that here in Australia then Subway will Sack you!!! I also find this a good thing to Modify the customer's meal to suit the Diabetic Customer but as a business they don't care!! Be aware of where you stand!!!

adiantum

That is not true Peter. Subway staff will often give recommendations if theyre asked politely.

I'm sorry if youve been sacked  but I dont appreciate you knocking the thousands of Subway employees & management in Australia.

Bar&In

I doubt any business owner wants to be held liable for a minimum wage employee giving medical advice (perhaps a stretch but could see it holding up in court).

Peggy_TX

I doubt any business owner wants to be held liable for a minimum wage employee giving medical advice (perhaps a stretch but could see it holding up in court).

I seriously doubt that's the case here

Subway actually ADVERTISES that their food is appropriate for weight loss, and publishes nutritional information to back it up

I would expect any GOOD Subway employee to be able to assist in helping a customer meet the nutritional requirements they want

That may or may not be "medical advice" -- but the company is building their brand on it, so I doubt they'd fire an employee over it

(just as I would hope that if a customer expressed an allergy to a particular ingredient, they'd be able to help a customer craft their meal choice to avoid it.   "This bread is gluten free" or "none of our breads are gluten-free, but maybe you'd like a salad?" surely would not invite the FDA in for a crackdown of operating an unlicensed medical clinic!!!  )

This is a great story of a courteous employee, and some great d-friendly food choices at a "fast-food" restaurant.      

And I think it's great that a letter was written to her manager to support her.     That's very important in a customer-facing role, and may result in helping her with advancement on her job.    Or will at least get her a pat on the back that will cheer her day.

Bar&In

My reply was more in response to AntHill's post and how I could see it happening. I will comment though, I appreciate the young lady's action here as just an observer but if I was owner I'd have an entirely different view on it. Protect your investment, willing to lose one pissed off customer than put entire business in jeopardy. Ex: If a T2 employee gave recommendation to a young T1 and something happened, who is held accountable in this example by courts?

Yes a pat on the back to a minimum wage, hard working employee in the restaurant business from a multi-billion dollar company will really make her day, you're joking right?

And Subway better do a heck of a lot more to fix their brand after the whole Jared episode, wouldn't be shocked if they're done within 3 years.

Peggy_TX

Yes a pat on the back to a minimum wage, hard working employee in the restaurant business from a multi-billion dollar company will really make her day, you're joking right?

Actually, Subway is a franchise.

So yes, a letter to the owner or manager is likely to cause the employee to get a pat on the back.  And be looked at favorably in the future for advancement opportunities.

You don't have to see it that way, but it actually happens.

Bar&In

Actually, Subway is a franchise.

So yes, a letter to the owner or manager is likely to cause the employee to get a pat on the back.  And be looked at favorably in the future for advancement opportunities.

You don't have to see it that way, but it actually happens.

I see your point but me personally not knowing Subway's policies and if franchisees must follow them to a T, would refrain from sending a letter. Just me though.

meyery2k

I don't think this is going to cause her any trouble.  All she really did was take the time to educate me about Subway's products and how they can fit into a low carb or low sugar meal plan.  I was actually amazed that someone actually knew their product so well.  Granted, she also has diabetes so she has to do the same thing I do when eating out.

I certainly wasn't given any "medical advice" and as far as the other things about eating to my meter, I certainly did not mention that in my letter since it was not relevant to the topic that I wanted to present.  I stuck to the facts that I mentioned I was diabetic and needed a little help planning my meal and she went out of her way to not only do that but to promote Subway as a good fit for me when I must eat out. 

The rest of my discussion that I shared on this forum was not disclosed in my letter because we were just "hob-nobbing".  I wanted to share my full experience here because it was nice that someone showed some empathy and was willing to help me work through a part of this that I have a little trouble with.

I know from my Pre D days that if you don't have it, you don't care to hear about it and you can't really understand what people that have it go can go through.  I certainly won't use this to have a pity party but I would also be a fool not to acknowledge that life for me is different that it was before I was diagnosed.  I get all kinds of crazy advice like:

Diabetes is no big deal, you look fine (The reality is I am "fine" to a point but I can go to "not fine" quickly.  Diabetes is a big deal.  I am fortunate to live in a time when it is better understood as to what it is and how it can be controlled).

You have diabetes because of all the junk food you ate/eat (While that might have contributed or exacerbated this, it is untrue and cruel to point out)

Lose some weight and you won't have any problems (Yes, losing weight will benefit me in many ways. but it won't make me non-diabetic).

Just shoot some extra insulin and you can do whatever you want (yeah, right, I don't have a Rx for insulin).

Fruit is fine, it has "natural sugar". (No comment)

You won't keep the weight off with low carb.  "<Fill in the blank did that and became fatter than ever" (I plan to eat this way the rest of my life.  Logically I should be able to keep the weight off.  <Fill in the blank> also started scarfing down McDonald's when the weight was off.  I cannot do that.)

It was nice to get some realistic advice and help in "the real world".

meyery2k

I had a follow up to add to this post today.

Back to Kona for an emergency call out.  3PM and no lunch so I headed to Subway.  The lady that helped me the first time was there as well as a co-worker.  I ordered a salad from the co-worker when the "first time" lady came out and said "That is the guy that wrote the letter!" which then led to some conversation.  Apparently I am "the diabetic guy that wrote the letter..." and a bit of a celebrity there.

The owner recognized the good work done by all the employees there and the person that helped me was entered into a contest for employees that received compliments.  I was promised the best salad I ever had at Subway and, it sure was. 

I give praise because I feel it is deserved with no expectations of getting anything in return.  It was such a pleasure to find out that this did indeed come back to all the people that work there in a positive way.

Peggy_TX

It was such a pleasure to find out that this did indeed come back to all the people that work there in a positive way.

This makes me ridiculously happy

SUCH a strong lesson in how taking that extra little moment to thank someone can make a real difference.

Imagine how motivated everyone in that shop is now to go "the extra mile" to help people with food concerns.

WTG!!!!

janice21475

This was a great thread! A blessing to read. Kudos to all involved - at the SubWay and on here.   :tee:

ant hill

The last time that I had a Subway I asked for no roll they said

what!!! still he just picked up any roll then when it comes to the sauce I said no again just picked a sauce and JUst a little and I said that's enough!!!! so I paid $10 an sat down then I opend the wrapper and just had the filling from the roll and throw a way the roll!!!

Peggy_TX

The last time that I had a Subway I asked for no roll they said

what!!! still he just picked up any roll then when it comes to the sauce I said no again just picked a sauce and JUst a little and I said that's enough!!!! so I paid $10 an sat down then I opend the wrapper and just had the filling from the roll and throw a way the roll!!!

Subways are franchises

Your experience does not match ANY Subway experience I've had in the US

Frankly -- I'm unclear why you would have even accepted that sandwich in the first place.    If you ordered a salad (no roll), and they wouldn't give it to you, why wouldn't you just leave?   Same with if you said "no sauce" and they added a sauce?

Guess that shows all the more strongly why it's so important to compliment people on good customer service.    Franchise owners WANT happy customers, and will encourage behaviour that is praised.

ant hill

That is not true Peter. Subway staff will often give recommendations if theyre asked politely.

I'm sorry if youve been sacked  but I dont appreciate you knocking the thousands of Subway employees & management in Australia.

I would go hungry just to find a Subway to do that Lee. Or get a Lettice leaf and ask them to fill that.  

Orlando

ant hill,

there are crap workers and good workers all over the world ie people are people wherever they are. Its always a pleasure to meet one of natures best and if possible make a rewarding signal. A  tip or a letter to the manager/owner.

Almost forgot to say, the same applies to customers...some are mean and angry, others are nice and friendly,at least thats been my experience. As my wife says, if its no good we shall vote with our feet ie there will be no next time.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.