Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

meyery2k

I had a very pleasant experience at Subway today....

ddry61

I've found out that if your gonna eat out for lunch, Subway is the place to go for salads!

Serenityearly
On 3/23/2016 at 1:33 AM, meyery2k said:

I was on a network wiring project at a Starbucks today in a neighborhood that is a 90 minute drive from where I live.  The Big Island of Hawai'i is big indeed.

I did a bad thing and skipped lunch since we were in the phase of almost done and could eat lunch when we are done (or so I figured).  That lasted until 4PM.

The doctor told me skipping meals is not good for people with metabolic issues and this is the first time I have skipped a meal in nearly 3 months.

So at 4PM I figure I can drive home and eat a large meal (which is what I would used to do) knowing this is really bad for my BG control OR find a place to eat lunch and then eat a later dinner (treating it like a sort of missed medication).

I went to Subway since I knew I could get any sandwich made as a salad and not be too worried about carbs.  I went in and started to order.  The young woman behind the counter gave me no reason to do so but I blurted out that I was a "new" diabetic and restaurants still put me off a little.  She told me she also was diabetic and proceeded to tell me which dressings are ok for us and which salads are better for us.

She reaffirmed to me that kindness given is paid back, you just never know when.

I tipped $5 just because she went way out of her way to help me with kindness and with patience.  If I want a "fast food" fix I guess Subway is on the list.

The main reason she got a large tip, to be honest, was because she talked to me about eating to my meter and seeing that I can still enjoy some things I think may be off limits.  For sure, she wasn't advocating eating a king sized candy bar, but she did say try a small piece of pizza and see what happens.  You won't know until you try.  I must point out, though, that she did not recommend a sandwich with bread while helping me lol...

It is such a pleasure to see simple kindness still reigns sometimes.

Here's a Subway bread recommendation. Somewhat frequently, I go to Subway and I get their 9-grain wheat bread & a veggie sub. I get a 6-inch. I create the same sandwich I would get if I got a BMT-just no meat. I do not do their veggie delite because it does not appeal to me. I am not vegan/vegetarian, but once I had this veggie sub, I haven't been able to eat the meat. It makes me feel ill. I don't always eat meat anyway. This is what I get if you should decide to try it: 

6-inch 9-grain wheat bread 

American cheese 

spinach

green bell peppers

jalepeno peppers

banana peppers

black olives

At this point, I have them toast everything.

Then I tell them what else to put on it:

lettuce

tomato

cucumber (I ask for extra cucumbers because I love them.)

salt, pepper, oregano 

oil & vinegar

mayonnaise & mustard

Yum!

This sandwich hasn't caused a major spike in my BG readings at all and I've eaten it for dinner several times. 

Let me know if you decide to try it & what you think!

TX_Clint

I go to Jimmy John's and get an Unwich. I have them put whatever I wan't on it with no issues. They use real meat as in the chicken is chicken, the beef is beef, the bacon is pork and yep the turkey is turkey. The only thing Subway serves that isn't turkey is the tuna.

No way I can do the bread either.

Serenityearly

Have you tried the 7-grain wheat bread at Jimmy John's? I had a hot veggie sub from there while in a workshop out of town & that's when I found out I could eat the grain wheat bread. 

Serenityearly

Oh & thanks for telling me that about Subway meats! I had no idea! I don't eat their meat any more, but will pass on to friends who do.

Kit

Same here with breads. Even 1 slice will easily raise me 20 points, which is just more than I'm willing to tolerate. And skipping the bread means I can afford to have more veggies.

30g total carbs a day doesn't leave a lot of wiggle room and I try to make the most of my budget.:)

Jimmy Johns is great for a couple of reasons. First they do the unwhich which works extremely well. The second is they have full nutritional info on their web site so you can customize how you like and see the exact affect on your macros. Third, I am addicted to their pickles. :)

Dave_KC

At Subway, I can do the salad, but I'm a fan of the Jimmy John's unwich, which I can walk to their location, and bring it back, 3,500 steps for me, plus a yummy lunch. 

That's also a nice break for the routine at work. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.