Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rad Warrier

Sublingual Vitamin B12

Rad Warrier
I am not sure which forum is appropriate to ask these questions on sublingual vitamin B12. Thought this is the right one.

Here are the questions:

1. Do we have to keep the pill below our tongue till it finally disappears?

2. How is the absorption done? Through receptors right under the tongue or in the stomach from the saliva that reaches there with the pill dissolved in it?

3. Will the vitamin B12 be absorbed fully if you happen to chew the pill?

4. Will the vitamin B12 be absorbed fully if you happen to swallow the pill?

Thanks and regards,

Rad

samuraiguy

I had to take it after prolonged use of proton pump inhibitors sapped my B12 levels. I was told to keep it under my tongue until it was completely melted and was somehow absorbed that way because after several months of taking them my B12 was back up to normal. I don't know if they would be absorbed if you swallow them and you are not taking a PPI.

dowling gram

Yes you keep the sublingual B 12 pill under your tongue until it dissolves which it does in a few minutes. The reason you put it under the tongue is that there are a lot of blood vessels close to the surface under the tongue. The B12 enters the blood stream through those blood vessels therefore bypassing the stomach. You get more B12 this way because there are no stomach acids to destroy some of it.

Because the blood vessels absorb the B12 you won't get the full benefit if you chew or swallow it but it wouldn't hurt you. As I said it starts dissolving immediately and only takes aminute or so to completely dissolve. I never had trouble keeping it under my tongue when I took it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.