Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

meyery2k

Bread is back in my diet...

meyery2k

http://www.food.com/recipeprint.do?rid=427534

Very simple to make flaxseed flat bread.  I had this as a peanut butter and cream cheese open faced sandwich.  It was so nice to have bread again.  Totally different experience with flaxseed compared to those awful crisps in the health food store. 

Seems strong enough to be a 2 piece sandwich.  I liked the flavor and consistency.  This would work very nicely with tuna salad and meat.

Not sure how it would stand a grilling on the stove a la a grilled cheese sandwich.  That will have to be my next test.

152 calories and 1.2 net carbs per 52 g slice which ended up being a generous slice based upon my shaping of the bread.  Flax seed is also relatively inexpensive in Hawaii so this is a real alternative for me.  Very simple to follow recipe with very satisfactory results.

The end result was no weird aftertastes, no unusual dryness, no unusual textures or sensation during and after eating.  The flaxseed crisps were like eating pieces of cardboard flavored with dill on the other hand.

It is really nice to have bread back.  I have missed sandwiches so...

I don't even care that it is unleavened bread.  Just having bread is fantabulous!  The baking powder has enough kick to raise it enough for me.

BLT, pastrami, roast beef, tuna salad, egg salad, chicken salad, PB&J, butter, cream cheese, grilled cheese, veggie and cheese, I think I have made my point that I love sandwiches lol...

dowling gram

Flax seed is fairly cheap everywhere and the lowest net carb seed around. I use it every day in 1 recipe or another. I discovered flax flat bread soon after I was diagnosed and I still make it off and on. You can toast it in a toaster oven and it makes good grilled cheese sandwiches.

Be careful and don't use too much flax in a day because it has so much fiber is can cause loose stools. I keep my intake to about 1/4 cup a day. Store your flax in the fridge or freezer because it has a tendancy to go bad in a short while if left out. Because of this I buy whole seeds and grind them myself.

Fraser

As for bread faux or real. It has been elimnated from my food choices. Now on a special day with a choice of great bread to enjoy I will endulge but it has to be real and great for that choice. ).

I do have my requirements!

meyery2k

Fraser - I am just so happy with the concept of bread that I can make this work lol... 

I loved sandwiches and this allows me to enjoy them once again.

Fraser

I will have to say this weekend my daughter and significant other (he is Japanese American) went to the cherry blossom festival in Japan Town in San Francisco. Great time interesting that heard frame him about growing up. But I had steak on a stick no issue, then he showed us a round pastry like thing stuffed with otopus I think, I ate two, tasted great, maybe a inch in diameter. Well when I got home bs 150 I rediculasly high number for me. The next choice was kelp wrapped rice around spam, passed on the that I have learned to enjoy life and make adjustments as required. Now dealing with his teenage daughter.? Lol

meyery2k

Kelp wrapped rice around spam - Musubi.  My children love those.  I could take them or leave them.  Some variations on that are to replace the spam with chicken (which I did particularly like) or hot dogs.  One of my experiments will be to process cabbage and cauliflower and use that as the rice filling for sushi.

I would be curious to know if he eats natto (fermented soybeans).

Fraser

I Will ask about fermented soy beans. Soy beans are one of my staple veggie carbs.

Back to sandwiches. I found that sprouted, flourless bread reduced the spike from bread and still made a sandwich .

You do need to keep it frozen until use.

jwags

Here is a super easy flaxseed muffin you make in the microwave. I use a 5" glass pyrex bowl.

Melt 2 T butter or coconut oil in bowl

Add 1/4 c flaxseed and a pinch of salt

Mix in 1/2 baking powder

mix in 1 egg.

You can add all sorts of extra things like seds,,nuts,,cheese,,etc.

Smoothe the top and pop in the microwave 1-2 minutes depending on your microwave.

Let it cool and slice it. You then can grill it, toast it or slice for a sandwich.

Seagal

When you guys talk about flax seed....are you talking ground or the actual seeds?  I've made lots of stuff with the ground seeds, but trying to make a muffin with just seeds, fat, egg & baking powder doesn't click in my head :) 

Meyery, congratulations on your new found bread.  Somewhere I posted a thread about 50 low carb bread recipes, that ought to tickle your fancy!

meyery2k

The recipe I used called for ground flaxseeds which I found in the store.  They were relatively inexpensive so I gave it a go and was happily rewarded.  I can now have a slice of bread to mop up the gravy like to old days lol...

Seagal

I use something similar to what Jeanne posted (with ground) and use a T of cocoa and some s.f. torani syrup.  Microwave it in a square "sandwich" container and it is a serving for two of chocolate cake:)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.