Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

meyery2k

Chili - Mark 2.0

meyery2k

Made chili from scratch.  Started with 2 slices of bacon and onions cooked until bacon was crisp.  Pulled bacon and onions and reserved.

Seasoned a little over 1.5 pounds of round tip steak cut into cubes with salt and pepper.  Browned in the bacon fat.  Drained most of the fat and added back the bacon and onions.  Did the tomato sauce and chili seasonings and got that going.  Added 1 can of pinto beans.  Also added about 2T unsweetened cocoa which not only interacted well with the chili but thickened it somewhat.  I really like how the cocoa and the heat of the chili combined.

All told I made about 8 cups of chili and I estimate about 7g net carbs per cup after adding all the carbs and dividing by 8.

Of course, as we all know, tasting to season and make sure the meat is tender doesn't count against our carb or calorie counts.

Reminds me of when my Grandmother would make eggnog from scratch.  She would be constantly tasting it and a little tipsy before the finished product was indeed finished.  I remember her telling us that more than half the fun was in making it and the tasting didn't count as drinking. 

sillygirl

Ill have to try it with cocoa sounds interesting.

Ive never made chili with steak or bacon. We always use pork butt and sometimes sausage.

Chili seems to be my kryptonite. whenever i make it i dont eat just one bowl or even 2!

There are no calories or carbs  in cake or cookie crumbs either!

kooka

I make chili with ground turkey breast and add cinnamon, cumin and chili powder. Half a can of rinsed black beans, a can of diced tomatoes, diced green pepper and onion and a clove of garlic. I know the tomatoes and beans make this carby but it makes a big pot and I generally only eat a bit over a cup of it with a green salad.

ran23

I make a cholesterol free veggie chili, doubt if there is a demand for it here.   Basic onion and garlic, TJ's soy and wheat ground beef,  can of beans or two, can of petite diced tomatoes, any veggies (I have gone with corn, edaname, peas and carrots,, etc.)  maybe half a package of chili mix.  For years this was my breakfast over brown rice. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.