Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fraser

Digestive probiotics

Fraser

30 years ago my digestive system was shocked by having a a gangreen appendix and peritonitis, along with fours hours of surgery. The good part is I survived ). But Things have never quite functioned the same. Whether is has been because of the low carb diet, or just aging I needed to makes things calm down. My ex wife , a nurse suggested the probiotics. Which have helped.

I have searched on line and not seen any negative effects on BG level when using probiotics.

Has anyone has any experience taking probiotics.

Joisey

In my first few years after Dx, I was having some kind of infection and taking antibiotics every 4 to 6 months. Each time it was taking longer and longer to fully recover.

After discovering probiotics (and stopping the antibitics) the recovery periods were shorter and the incidents were less frequent.

jwags

I just ordered some Garden of Life Probiotics, yesterday. I ordered the ones with the most different strains of good bacteria. My system has been totally out of whack. My doctor suggested probiotics might help.

notme

I just started taking Natures Bounty extra strength probiotic 10. I have seen no side effects as far as blood sugar goes. A little bloating that should resolve over time.

Hammer

Here is an article that helps you to understand about pro-biotics.  I use the Jarrow brand from time to time, but when I tried to use them every day, they upset my stomach, however, that was probably due to my digestive system being overloaded with this new bacteria.  It's best to start out with small doses of a pro-biotic, then work your way up to larger doses.  I have recently tried taking them again, and so far, no problems.

One thing that the article mentions that I feel is really important, don't buy any of the bargain basement brands of pro-biotics, because you'll only get what you pay for.  You need to buy the higher quality brands of pro-biotics, because like the articles says, the better brands have pedigree strains of the bacteria.  If you don't want to read the whole article that I linked to, scroll down to the section that has the heading, "How does someone know if they need probiotics, and what kind is the best?"  Then read the section right below that titled "So what, specifically, can people look for in a probiotic supplement?"

jwags

I was wondering if my recent gut problems were from my long time LC diet. I never had problems until a month ago and the last few weeks have been terrible. My Endo switched me to the EX version of metformin and cut my dose. It made a little difference but not much. I have a GI consult but the first appointment was in June. I sure hope it is not chronic. I bought the Garden of Life brand because it was recommended by Dr Permuletter in his book. it has 90 billion live bacterias. I hope it works.

jwags

I drink a cup of kefir for breakfast now, too. The probiotics I bought have 90 billion live bacteria. I took the first one yesterday. I am wondering how long it will take to get back to normal.

BigMouithXXX

Probiotics can help and probably can't hurt.  My brother-in-law is a GI and he takes a proboitic daily.  That speaks volumes to me.  As for lowering BGs  you need to take preboitics for that.  There are gut bacteria that are very helpful for controlling BGs.  They are fed by eating resistant starch. RS is a prebiotic.  There is a huge problem with this and Ds, I read about yesterday, there is a genetic factor.  Most diabetics have a broken gene that prevents the gut bugs from helping PP BGs.  Ds with a working gene are more starch tolerant and eating RS starch will improve that tolerance. Probably this gene and possibly other are responsible for why we react differently to food.

I mention this because if you have poor starch tolerance it might not be helpful. This gene may not an on or off but shades of grey.  I will do more research in the coming weeks.

Many studies were performed with RS fed to animal models and demonstrated many health benefits, including increased fermentation leading to improved gut health, reduced adiposity, and improvement in insulin sensitivity. The major beneficial result observed in studies with human subjects is an increase in insulin sensitivity. Most animal studies demonstrate an increase in the gastrointestinal tract incretin hormone GLP-1, but only 1 of the studies demonstrating improved insulin sensitivity reported an increase in serum GLP-1. This may be because many humans who develop insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes have an ineffective allele for a transcription factor that is known to interact with the promoter region of the proglucagon gene and to increase its transcription. The mechanism for improved insulin sensitivity in human subjects in those who do not produce increased amounts of GLP-1 with HAMRS2 feeding is unknown at this time but likely would involve positive changes in the microbiota. Also, very encouraging is the study in obese-prone rats that observed reduced body fat with 8% of the weight of the diet as HAMRS2. This result may mean that humans could reduce body fat if the recommended amounts of dietary fiber are consumed, including a variety of fermentable fibers.

http://advances.nutrition.org/content/6/2/198.full

Resistant Starch is ferment-able fiber.

BigMouithXXX

Yes, the original studies of RS were from the general population.  Apparently, they discovered this snag just recently. New articles mention that the subjects were NOT insulin resistant for the studies.  This one explained why. That article was posted last month.  From the opinions of this forum I started to suspect something was wrong.  The studies were so promising why didn't it help so many members like yourself?   I think it does help some of us like my self.  I can tolerate starch very well for a long time D.    My problem is when I am not eating for a long time or maybe it is linked with sleep.  My liver dumps sugar and my body takes its time to shut off the dump.  My endo suggested I experiment bed time snacks.  Something that would keep the BGs up for as long as possible like maybe cheese.   I don't like eating before bed.  I am happy that I am fine by moving some of my meds from morning to evening has taken care of the problem. 

jwags

I have been on the Garden Of Life Probiotic for 5 days. I noticed it also has a prebiotic in it too which is resistsnt starch. My dirahea has stopped (for now). So it is definitely working its magic.

BigMouithXXX

Probiotics are a huge deal in the GI community.  The GI drs want you to take one a day.  They practice what they preach, or at least my brother-in-law does.  Probiotics can prevent or even heal ulcers.  Ulcers are caused by an acid loving bacteria that is very resistant to antibiotics.  I will pass your brand to my daughter.  What she is taking isn't helping her all that much but it was purchased to deal with ulcers not being regular.  RS will do a lot of good even if you have that one broken gene combination (allele).  It is proven as a colon cancer killer.  It will even help sugar metabolism.  This is a red hot research topic.  The challenge is to make a drug that will bypass that bad gene and reduce insulin resistance. Right now we only have metformin, junivia, actos and GLP injections as anti insulin resistance drugs.  Another one that doesn't have serious side effects would be a money maker.

jwags

I was taking a cheaper probiotic that didn't help. Garden of Life Probiotics were developped by Dr Permutter. there are different strains at different price points. I took the one which had the highest bscteria in it. It is 90 billion with 15 strains in it. Once I get my gut healed I may drop down to another Garden of Life probiotic that is cheaper. I have my GI consult in June and will ask her what is best. I can't imagine how quickly it has healed my gut and returned my BM's to normal. Of course my PCP wants me to stop all dairy including the kefir I have been drinking. Cheese was the one LC food I could eat safely.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.