Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stl-T2

Duh! If you don't like the taste of metformin...

Stl-T2

...don't put it on your tongue.  

I don't know why it took me so long to think of this.  My routine for taking my pills is to pop them into my mouth, grab a water bottle, take a swig, and swallow the pill(s) with the water.  However, the pills always got placed on top of my tongue and I am not fond of the taste of metformin. (I guess candy coating pills for diabetics might not be a good idea.)  Anyway, one day it occurred to me to try putting the pills somewhere without taste buds.  So now I drop them into my mouth UNDER my tongue!  Take a swig and swallow as usual.  It doesn't seem to interfere with swallowing and I barely taste the met anymore.

Maybe I'm just an idiot, but thought I'd share in case I'm not the only one who hasn't thought to try this.

Joisey

When I was in the hospital, a nurse showed me a great way to take pills. Put them in a spoonful of applesauce or pudding and you won't even notice them (or taste them).

princesslinda

If I have a strong smelling pill, i'll take with water to which I've added one of the flavor packets or with diet soda.  I don't notice the taste of metformin, but sometimes my fish oil tablets will cause me to gag (of course most anything will at 5 in the morning, which is when I take my morning meds).

jwags

My regular metformin smelled like dead fish, but they didn't taste bad. I hate the smell of the big B-complex pills. Theyntadte so strong I often gag. The applesauce trick is something we used to do for our babies. it only works if the pill is small, though.

TrishaB

Have to say never smelled the meds B)  nor tasted them as take them after food and with a glass of water....straight down :P

BigMouithXXX

They are testing a new metformin that is heavily coated so it may not taste or smell.  The purpose is to reduce then amount of met getting into the blood.  Apparently, normal met loses about 40% into the blood.  Once in the blood it does nothing good but must be passed by the kidneys,  I will be one of the first to take this med since my metformin isn't as effective as it used to be. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.