Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

francis88

High Medication Costs....

francis88

Does anyone have any advice on how to get their prescriptions at a discount or at least cheaper? The current costs are killing my wallet...

modcarb

What do you take?

Check their web sites to see if they offer a discount card.

You have to have insurance but I have cards for Victoza, Invokana and Benicar and they really help.

JohnSchroeder

Yeah, got a bit to say here, but without knowing what you are taking it may not be relevant.  Tell us what you are using and relatively what you are paying, then can maybe give some better informed advice.

Broadly speaking buy off brand strips and needles.  Insulin there isn't much you can do.  If you are truly desperate you can use OTC insulin which is much much cheaper than even copays on things like levimir or Novolog/Humalog.

jwags

For years we bought our more expensive meds from Canadian pharmacies. You can also go to Good Rx to find the cheapest pharmacy in your area for your specific drugs.

TheBigNewt

There's an online outfit called Blink  that sells brand name prescription meds at a fraction the cost of retail pharmacies, I think you fax them your prescription. I have not tried them yet because they don't list insulins like Lantus and Novolog (the only brand names I use). They say they get their supply of drugs from other countries and resell them here which is legal. I was uninsurable for 25 years because I have diabetes and was self employed so I'm aware of what you pay at pharmacies. I can write my own prescriptions so I used Canadian pharmacies which were way cheaper, but I'm not sure you can do that now. I think Obama made that illegal. many insulin products do not require a prescription, but the newer ones like Levemir and Novolog and Lantus do, which is ridiculous but that's another subject.

TheBigNewt

I'm pretty sure he's talking about brand name meds for Type 2 which can cost hundreds/month, even with insurance unless it's great. My Lantus was $120/vial with insurance if I got it by mail, then I found out if I just went to CVS it was $70/vial. Go figure. Prescriptions are a racket IMO.

TheBigNewt

Try www.gpharmaplus.com.  That's global pharmacy plus.  They sell Humulog Quikpens 10 for $300. That's cheap without insurance. 

francis88

Does anyone have any advice on how to get their prescriptions at a discount or at least cheaper? The current costs are killing my wallet...

francis88

jwags

When we were on Private insurance we used a Canadian pharmacy to buy our more exoensive drugs at a 60% discount. We are now on Medicare Part D and generics are pretty cheap. Brand names are still fairly expensive and most will put you in the donut hole. I try to do everything I can with a low carb diet and exercise to avoid having to use expensive meds. If you are not on Medicare or Medicaid many companies have drug discount cards that will save you money.

moe22

Is you're  insurance not covering these things for you??; my co-pays on much of my prescription's are around $2.00

Moonpie

try going to the manufacturer website, they may have coupons for a free trial etc. Or when open enrollment comes, check out your options.

princesslinda

If you're on medications not available in generic, ask you doctor to substitute generics when available, and if not available, ask for samples of the medication to help with costs.

If you're in the US, some pharmacies have cards that offer discounts to those without insurance.  Also check Sams Club or Costco to see if their prices are less expensive than where you're getting them now.

jims_forum

Well, interesting comments.

Yes on medicare part D and generics can do well.

Yes I have obtained some things from Canadian pharmacies. Yet they are being squeezed by suppliers to up charge 

Americans ordering from US.

Humalog Lispro has been horrendous. Now $ 260 for U-100 in the vial. Used to be $26 from canada and now over $ 70.

The real beef has to do with any new drugs and the co-pay charged for each of these is horrendous. Need new diabetes drugs, AFIB drugs etc and zoom off flies 70 to 100 per month per drug!  Yes, carefull hunting can

save some Dollars. Canada pharmacy, discount coupons and special introductory items but generally one gets nailed in long run and if part D on the beginning of year discount $ 300 that eats a hole as well.

Let me know what the magic trick/fix is!

Fraser

I noticed that this has been posted twice, once under T2 and once under Prediabetes

I not sure I understand why someone who has pre diabetes is spending a large amount of money on medications?

Metformin could be a choice. But it is not expensive.

Not sure what this post is about.

jims_forum

Yes and here is my response in other catagory:

Well, interesting comments.

Yes on medicare part D and generics can do well.

Yes I have obtained some things from Canadian pharmacies. Yet they are being squeezed by suppliers to up charge 

Americans ordering from US.

Humalog Lispro has been horrendous. Now $ 260 for U-100 in the vial. Used to be $26 from canada and now over $ 70.

The real beef has to do with any new drugs and the co-pay charged for each of these is horrendous. Need new diabetes drugs, AFIB drugs etc and zoom off flies 70 to 100 per month per drug!  Yes, carefull hunting can

save some Dollars. Canada pharmacy, discount coupons and special introductory items but generally one gets nailed in long run and if part D on the beginning of year discount $ 300 that eats a hole as well.

Let me know what the magic trick/fix is!

Fraser

unfortunately none of that information is realitive to a prediabetic, by definition they would not be needed.

francis88

Thanks so much I've already tried a bunch of pharmacies. Last weekend my friend sent me a coupon link via Blink Health. I bought my first prescription with $15 off their low price and picked it up at CVS without a problem. Highly recommend! Here's the link I used: http://www.blinkhealth.com/i/apr2016

TrishaB

I live in the Uk whereprescriptions I believe are now about 9 pound oper medication and we have National Health Service ...I myslef have not paid for a prescription since I was 26 years old as was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism so had to have levothiroxine ....  I know it can be hard paying for prescriptions for some and  they do allow those on benefits free prescriptions I think....never claimed any benefit  myself  so am assuming this is so :)

francis88

Thanks so much for the advice! I've used a bunch of different pharmacies but had to share this too. Last week my friend sent me a coupon link via Blink Health. I bought my first prescription with $15 off their low price and picked it up at CVS without a problem. Highly recommend! Here's the link I used: http://www.blinkhealth.com/i/apr2016

TrishaB

I went to the chemist yesterday to pick up my monthly prescription and noted that each item on a prescription costs 8 pound something...that is a lot of money for 1 item.....I have not paid for a prescription since my 20's  having had Hypothyriodism  but can not help but think how hard it is forsome people on low incomes.....

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.