Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mamabear06

JAX, FL - best schools for type 1 child?

Mamabear06

Hello all!

My family is relocating to Jacksonville, Florida in the next few months and we are trying to find a good school for my son to attend. He will be entering the 4th grade.

I have tried looking online and called the ADA but have not been able to find much helpful info... We just want a school that treats diabetic children well and is helpful in managing while he is there. His current school is awful :( !

Wanted to try posting here in hopes that someone might have some helpful information!

Thank you!

sillygirl

In florida you are going to have fun finding a school that's proactive with helping your child with his/her diabetes.  Due to budget cuts schools are rarely staffed by an actual nurse. Usually its just a person with 4 hours of medical training. Legally they must do exactly what the doctor writes down. To protect your child, I would sit down with your doctor and provide a very through note of what to do when xyz happens. Depending on your childs age they will also allow the child to self test and medicate with proper paper work. If your child is old/ mature enough to do this.

Just a heads up if your doctor writes test 4x a day. They will only test 4x a day. Even if your child is exhibiting symptoms of low bg. Stupid i know!

JohnSchroeder

I'd imagine that schools that are run well in terms of education will also be run well in terms of taking care of the medical needs of children.  That's probably a question best asked of your realtor or any friends/family you might already have down there.  Find the good school district would be my advice and let the chips fall where they may when it comes to diabetes.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.