Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kit

Fried chicken skins!

Kit

So, I spent the entire day yesterday at a friend's house helping her dig up a garden area in her yard.  Shoulders ache a bit this morning, but it was jun work with a friend I enjoy being with.

Anyway, knowing this was going to be an all day project, we hit the store the first thing, thinking we'd figure out something quick to cook that we could eat on all day and that would be safe for me.

The store near her makes my heart hurt.  I swear.  Every piece of meat has been devoid of any fat or skin.  You can see they even made a valiant effort to remove all the fat from the ribeye steaks.  It was so depressing.

But then, low and behold, chicken skins.  A huge package of all of the fat and skin they had removed from all of the chicken.  And, there was still a really good amount of meat on that skin, mostly breast meat.  And they were selling huge packages of the stuff.  So we bought one.  About 2.5 pounds for $1.94.

Then a 2 pound package of bacon ends for $4.50.

And then I went insane.  Grabbed a head of cabbage, some mushrooms, and off we went.

First, we fried up the 2 pounds of bacon ends to render off the fat.  The bacon was set aside for her husband (he's working night shift at the moment), and for some snacking.  And yes, I snacked on bacon more than I should have.

Then I seasoned the chicken.  Really, there was a significant amount of meat on that skin.  Seasoned it all with salt, pepper, and this roasted garlic and herb spice blend she had.  Then fried it in the bacon grease til the meat was done and the skin was crispy.  I suspect there were a couple of livers in that package as well.

Then, in the left over pan fat, I fried up the cabbage, mushrooms, medium onion, clove of garlic, salt, pepper and thyme.  Mushrooms pretty much guaranteed any excess fat got soaked up.

Also made a dipping sauce for the chicken from mayo, a little lime juice, and sriracha.

It all tasted so good.  Had a great lunch and left overs for dinner and we packed up the small amount of remainder for her husband when he got home from work in the wee hours.

That dipping sauce fit in with the chicken so amazingly well.  I have to remember it so I can try it with other things.

jims_forum

The byline here reminds me of that TV comedy show where they where eating barrels of fried chicken skins. The barrels were dressed up as KC paint like colors.

Kits work sounds awesome. Great Work Kit!

meyery2k

Brilliant!!!!

Mayo and sriracha is a great combo.  It is used to season cubed raw fish which is called poke (rhymes with OK).   The traditional seasoning was ususally sea salt, and some type of edible seaweed.

NoraWI

I get great satisfaction out of making something out of stuff that others would discard. Maybe it's the stingy in me? Sounds like a great serendipitous meal. Congrats for the creativity involved. I love to make leftovers evolve into something different and delicious. Happens more often than not.

Kit

I get great satisfaction out of making something out of stuff that others would discard. Maybe it's the stingy in me? Sounds like a great serendipitous meal. Congrats for the creativity involved. I love to make leftovers evolve into something different and delicious. Happens more often than not.

I do as well.  I swear I tend to prefer the stuff that others reject.  It tastes so much better.

And it was so sad looking at packages full of boneless, skinless chicken breasts and thighs and not being able to tell the difference between them other than from the label.  And there were no whole chickens.  Or legs.  Or chicken with the bones in and skin on.

And I swear there is nothing more sad in the universe than to see a ribeye steak with no fat on it.  It almost brought me to tears.

I wonder if this was a Safeway thing in general or something more specific to that one.  I haven't seen this extreme of a fat phobia at the stores I frequent, but there aren't any convenient Safeway stores near where I live so I always go elsewhere.

Weezy

The lack of fat on meat sounds just like my local "hippie co-op".....it's pretty obvious they only carry meat under duress and what meat there is, is non-descript and has no fat.  Their hamburger is even labeled as 95% fat free!  Ugh!  Stuff must be so dry and tasteless.  But they sure stock a lot of turkey burger!  Double ugh.

I haven't looked at meat in our local Safeway because since we bought half a cow and half a pig, we RARELY go into any real grocery store.  We get our veggies at a local farmer's market and the rest of our stuff at Costco and/or Trader Joes.

Being low carb has sure changed the way we shop and eat.  And I'm still amazed at how little $$ we spend on food any more, even figuring in the cost of the cow and pig in the freezer.  And we now buy much higher quality/more expensive stuff....like Kerrygold butter, but we just eat so little any more.  Amazing.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.