Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

meyery2k

I had a V8 moment!!!

meyery2k

I was organizing and cleaning the kitchen today.  Kala had a "syrup" phase a couple of years ago where she was into making flavored coffees.  I had all this syrup in various stages of crystallization and I finally got fed up with it and dealt with it lol...

I was able to save some of the pumps by pumping hot water through them.

I have never been a flavored coffee person.  My Grandmother broke me of the cream and sugar habit young and I have always preferred plain coffee so this syrup just sat there. 

As many of you know, however, soda is my weakness and it dawned on me....

Torani has a collection of SF syrups, I have clean pumps, so I can go to the store pick up cheap generic brand Seltzer water, some SF syrup (thinking lemon or lime but who knows?), get the seltzer cold and make my own.  I already have chilled glasses and any fool (including me) can make ice lol...

The right flavor would also taste good in almond milk too.

Just the thing for the hot summer days coming up!

I am now off to Target lol...

Kit

I use those sugar free syrups, but not in coffee or tea.

Use the sugar free banana syrup with chopped pecans in a one minute muffin and I get a banana nut muffin.  :)

Well, in all honesty, I don't use them a lot, but there are a ton of ways to use them.  Use one of the fruit flavored ones in a vinaigrette dressing.

moe22

​A word to the wise don't get Torani  SF syrups, I have only tried there caramel one &I didn't like it ( if other ones are anything similar it's money wasted) ; of course you may like everybody's  taste is different, it  has a burnt taste to me & it's not Carmely( if that's a word)   enough ;Walmart has Da Vinci Gourmet Syrup (12oz.)

meyery2k

Target had neither - that I could find.  Safeway had a small bottle of SF vanilla syrup so I have enough to try this out and see how I like it.

meyery2k

I just  assumed you drove off to Target in your V8

The only "V8" in this house is the rare occassion when all cylinders in my brain fire in a coordinated manner lol...

JanetP

You can order Torani syrups on line from their website.  Sometimes they have specials where you can get an assortment of fruit flavors in one package.  If you can get to a World Market, they also carry them.

moe22

To add to my post Walmart has Tornai SF syrup also (I'd consider them sample size); I would strongly suggest you by these before you committee to buying large bottles & BTW I shop at Walmart.com (on-line)

jwags

When I was first dx'd I used a lot of those SF syrups in baking or in yogurt. Now, I have got used to esting things not sweet. I cleaned my pantry out last year and I think I had 10 bottles od Davinci and Torani SF syrups that I tossed.

meyery2k

When I was first dx'd I used a lot of those SF syrups in baking or in yogurt. Now, I have got used to esting things not sweet. I cleaned my pantry out last year and I think I had 10 bottles od Davinci and Torani SF syrups that I tossed.

I know just what you mean.  Except, because these were 2 (maybe even 3) years old, some of these were more solid than syrup lol...

carfree

I like the idea of making your own, especially because drinks can taste too sweet to me. Sweet Leaf makes some liquid flavored stevia drops. I'm not a soda fan (except in super hot weather), but I do like these drops for various applications. I put a drop in with my water and apple cider vinegar, and it's a very refreshing way to drink the ACV. Just today I found a three pack of tiny bottles called a Water Pack that has berry, lemon and orange (small enough to carry in a purse....ur....man bag). I noticed a cola and rootbeer pack too, which might be tasty for a summer cold drink. Some of the Sweetleaf products seem really sweet so I just use a drop or two. The larger bottles say to refrigerate after opening.

carfree

Just tried to new Sweetleaf drops. The berry is sweet but not very strong berry flavor, but the lemon is good.

Moonpie

Years ago I used to buy a lot of those sf syrups, mostly for baking & flavoring yogurts etc. Now I rarely use them, but sometimes I will buy the small bottles at dollar tree. For sparkling flavored water I just buy the cherry flavor no calorie water at cvs. Getting lazy in my old age ;)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.