Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JanetP

Me amongst the vegetarians

JanetP

I was talking with a Zen group I sit with regularly about planning an upcoming retreat.  Usually these kinds of things are vegetarian/vegan and it will be the first one I have been on since becoming diabetic.  Living conditions are usually very basic and spare as well.

It will involved a long road trip to upstate New York from NC.  Not sure how many days it will be yet, probably a long weekend, but I will have to cover the trip there and back as well. 

Was discussing my dietary limitations with the hosts and the upshot is that I will have to bring most of my own food with no cooking facilities available.  Not sure about refrigeration so I will assume there may be none.

Though they did assure me that there will be plenty of fruit, vegetables, and grain available. LOL!

It is some months away yet, so I have time to plan but I am going to need help with this one.  Please toss out your ideas or point me to recipes that will survive.  I already know I will bake up a ton of almond flour crackers and muffins.  Am not very fond of boiled eggs, but am wondering if I make a version of deviled eggs how well they would keep.

Many thanks.

Peggy_TX

A good quality cooler will keep your food as cold as it would be in the fridge -- particularly if you stop at a convenient store and get new bags of ice every couple day

What about a little propane camping stove?   You could cook up any # of interesting egg dishes with little effort.....

Where in NY are you headed, and when are you going?   (I'm in the Saratoga/Albany area frequently)

Stl-T2

Kirkland signature steak strips are yummy and don't require refrigeration for up to three days after the package is opened.  Nuts would be good, of course.  

JanetP

Don't know all the details yet.  I have a good cooler on my list.  I already have an insulated bag for frozen goods, but am not sure how long it would last.  It was made to transport frozen foods from the grocery store home.  I don't think a propane stove would be allowed.

jwags

I grew up in the Hudson Highlands of NY near West a point and went to college in upstate NY near Rochester. My sister is still in the Troy area near Albany. Did they give you an idea of what vegetsrian things they would be eating? My husband and daughter are vegan and some things she makes I can eat. You could pack a cooler and get more ice when you get there. I would make some LC crackers or bread and bring peanut butter or almond butter and sugar free jam. You could also make some egg salad or chicken salad and make yourself sandwiches. I am sure they will have salad stuff, just being your own LC dressing.

Seagal

Sounds interesting Janet!  If you are driving far into the boonies, you may not be able to get ice (daily)?  wouldn't fool around with deviled eggs unless you have a good ice chest.  H.B. eggs dipped in siracha or something similar?  Maybe not with your gut flora.

Cheese for your crackers, cans of kipper snacks, packages of tuna, celery, radishes, pre-cooked brocolli & cauli in a sealed bowl with some lemon/lime wedges.

How fun to be planning something!

Peggy_TX

Do you need to keep your meals vegetarian to avoid offending the other people, or can you eat whatever your want?

Turkey/cheese rollups would last well in a cooler  (you need a real cooler -- the cooler bag won't keep your food cold long enough!)

You could also do some pre-made salads -- just keep the dressing on the side

Seagal

Don't know all the details yet.  I have a good cooler on my list.  I already have an insulated bag for frozen goods, but am not sure how long it would last.  It was made to transport frozen foods from the grocery store home.  I don't think a propane stove would be allowed.

if you have any quart or even small water bottles you could freeze, you would have the chill factor plus fresh water.

jwags

If you are at a camp innthe Adirondacks you may have to worry about bears. So make sure the food is in a hard cooler. If it is only a weekend I would not bring meat. Stickmwith nuts and seeds. Make some protein bars and wrap individually. Also bring some protein powder and boxes of almond or coconut milk. bring a small magic bullet and you can make smoothies with their fruit.

Moonpie

Maybe you can eat lots of their veg & a small amount of beans, keeping food safe from the NY heat might not be worth it. I'd investigate the menu options first.  Cheese sticks are great or jerky. 

JanetP

Do you need to keep your meals vegetarian to avoid offending the other people, or can you eat whatever your want?

Good question, Peggy.  I doubt anyone would care but I will make sure to ask.

Moonpie

It sounds like a lot of fun, I'd just eat some beans & be happy. Maybe you can test some veggie dishes at home & see what size portion works for you.

jwags

Last time we went to the Adirondacks we kept our hard coolers on the porch of our cabin. We didn't have any problems. But if you are camping you do need to keep the food out of your tent. I know there are lots of camps with lodges in them in the Catskills and Adirondacks. it is beautiful up there.

Moonpie

Did you find out any more details? It will make a difference too, if they are vegetarian or vegans. It would probably be easier if eggs & cheese is available. I hope I am not being too nosy, but I love hearing about these trips & outings.

JanetP

The trip is still very much in the tentative planning stages and it may be months and months away.  The folks who are hosting the trip have 3 young children so things will be up in the air for a while.

There are a lot of vegans and vegetarians in the crowd I hang out with and as we start doing more things together socially I am trying to figure out how to handle the food thing without being a special snowflake or upsetting anyone.

jwags

I find I am learning to like a lot of vegan and vegetarian food. Don't wait too long to go to Upstste NY. It can get pretty cold there towards the end of October, even some snow.

Kit

I wonder if there it will be possible for them to have a low carb veggie options.  I guess it depends on how much they pour on the grains or other starches.

But, if that is possible, you could then supplement those with things like cans or pouches of tuna, chicken, sardines, oysters, and similar (in oil if available).  Not exactly the best of options around, but would be stuff that you wouldn't have to worry about animals getting into or refrigeration.  You could then use something like olive oil to add some additional fat if needed.

I'm sure they will be understanding that you might have different dietary requirements due to diabetes so I wouldn't worry about the special snowflake thing unless you were really demanding.  :)

JanetP

I want to stay as low key and under the radar as possible about all this.  I have already had to ask for accommodation due to the CPAP machine.  In a lot of these kind of things sleeping arrangements are often just sleeping bags on a floor in a big room or a dormitory situation. 

davef

Ok, I might be politically incorrect here, but can't help wondering why omnivores are expected to facilitate vegans/vegetarians but the opposite is rarely true. Anyhow, mini-vent over.

It might be worth checking for cooler that can be powered from your car to stay cold. Travel as far north as possible with just day to day needs and then before you venture beyond "civilisation" find a grocery and stock up for your stay? Cheese & cold meat cuts?

Moonpie

after having thought more about this, I say NO to the cooler, they are bulky, take up a lot of room, & if you have no access to fresh ice, pretty  useless. So try & eat what's available, taking only small portions of the grains or legumes. I make lentil curry sometimes, & do ok on it, as long as I don't eat too much. If you feel the need for animal protein, you can pack some slim jims & pouches/cans of  fish & meats. Canned ham can be quite good, & brands like DAK do not need refrigeration till opened, & probably enough  meat for 2 or 3 meals. If you eat spam, they make some really small cans now, which would be enough for one meal, or I have seen them in single slice pouches also. Smoked salmon can sometimes be found in boxes that have the shelf stable pouches inside & they can be very tasty. I am saying this as after some recent camping trips, it can be such a chore to keep things in the cooler cold & so much easier to use canned or other processed foods. I know they may not be the healthiest options, but if you can fill up on the salads & veg a little bit of canned meat will be OK ( IMO)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.