Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stenwick

Mistaken DWI

stenwick

Have any of you had an experience when you were pulled over by a policeman for DWI when you were actually experiencing the effects of low blood sugar?

lgvincent

I once passed out while driving due to low blood sugar, I think at a traffic signal. The policeman who came to the scene recognized I was in insulin shock and called paramedics to help me.

Also, I once had a policeman try to arrest me for DUI while in insulin shock but a state trooper who knew my father came along and took control of the situation since it was outside the city limits and he got me to a hospital.

Alaska

It happend to me last year. Usually I catch it before it ever gets this bad but I had been on the river all day flyfishing and the sun had drained every ounce a energy I had that day. I had just stopped at 7-11 and got some juice and continued on my drive. I guess I didn't give enough time for the juice take affect since I got pulled over and tested for DWI.

DeusXM

This is exactly why I carry around a Medi-Tag pendant. If you think being pulled over for DWI's bad, you try being punched around by bouncers in a nightclub when they drag you into the backroom because they think you're a heroin addict because you're carrying an insulin pen.

Damn good thing I had my medi-tag that night....and a good lawyer the next day when I charged them with GBH.

Jon

Somebody crashed on the Golden Gate Bridge a few years ago while in insulin shock. They tried to pass a law that would not allow diabetics to drive after that. It didn't go through, but they tried to say that it was too dangerous. It is a good idea to carry glucose paste or cake frosting in your car in case of low bg while driving.

snydermom

Many moons ago, when Ed still drank, I tried to tell him about keeping "low-meds" in the glove comparment. And telling him to alert his buddies about the hazards of insulin lows.

Water over the dam of things he didn't do, but it's a great example of this exact situation.

Good reason to go back to the post about id tags?????

Beth.

Andrea

I'm going to stick my neck out here, but having a low while driving is just as dangerous as driving drunk. Your reflexes are slower and you are not as aware of things. And i think it should be punishable by law, though maybe not to the same extent as driving under the influence.

In the province of Ontario, where i am from (i am not sure of the laws in France, where i am now), if you have a hypoglycemic event that requires the paramedics to come or requires someone to bring you to the hospital, the doctor who treats you is legally obligated to report you to the ministry of transportation. This is true even if you weren't driving at the time of the incident. Of course, most doctors look at each situation as they encounter it and usually don't report. Technically, you are supposed to get your licence suspended until you can prove that your diabetes is in good control and that your risk for hypos is much lower. And that you promise to test EVERY time you get in the car and to always have some form of fast acting glucose on you.

I personally think that the law as written is a bit severe especially since you don't even have to be behind the wheel at the time of your hypo, but i think the idea is good. I don't want to be on the roads with someone who has had one bottle of whiskey too many, and i don't want to be on the roads with someone who has lots of episodes of severe hypoglycemia either.

I went through a period a few years ago, before i went on the pump, where i had lots of hypos, and some pretty severe, where i needed someone else's help to get out of them. I didn't drive much at the time because i was petrified of going low behind the wheel and when i did drive, i tested before i got in the car and about every hour of driving.

I am the last person who would want to discriminate against people who have diabetes, but we have a responsibility on the road to drive safely that has nothing to do with diabetes. Since we do have diabetes, it is our responsibility to make sure that we can drive safe despite our disease. Please keep some juice boxes in your car and test before you drive, especially if you have ever experienced hypoglycemia unawareness.

Andrea

DeusXM

Andrea's right. If you're having a hypo, you're basically under the influence of drugs, which is not a good idea when you're inside a 10 ton piece of metal going at 70mph.

I believe the laws in Ontario are similar to those in the UK with reference to reporting incidents. Furthermore, the DVLA (Drivers and Vehicle Licence Agency) also insists that all people with diabetes renew their licence every four years. However, it's free, and you don't have to retake your test. It works more as a reminder to both you and them that you're on the system and that theoretically you can pose a risk.

Shalyndria

I agree with you, Andrea. In fact, here in Alberta, I am required by law to renew my license every year, at which point i am required to have a driver's medical done. Which costs me an arm and a leg, but then I can't trust the other person now can I?!

Alaska

All I can say is good thing I live in Alaska <hmfph>

The only thing I have a chance of running in to is a moose, snowbank or the occassional bear

Jon

Maybe somebody will invent a device for your car that won't allow it to start if your bg is too low. Kind of like the breathalizer for people who drive drunk. I don't want to see diabetics discriminated against, but I have seen my son in a hypoglycemic episode, and I would hate to be driving while someone in the oncoming traffic was having an episode.

snakeye
Originally posted by Jon

Maybe somebody will invent a device for your car that won't allow it to start if your bg is too low. Kind of like the breathalizer for people who drive drunk.

LOL!! :P

Alaska

COOL!, something else I get to buy other than insulin, needles, test strips, meters, dr bills, eye exams, laser treatment, ect.......

I can't even get my insurance company to cover the cost of test strips. And what are the low income people with no health insurance going to do?

rzrbks

I am SO glad somebody brought this up.

I was begining to think that this was just another Urban Legend. I Know it Could happen and I have my ID bracelet and card and all, but I really wondered if it was true.

(with his best Foghorn Leghorn accent) bowing deeply and nearly sweeping his hat on the ground

"Thank Y'all very much."

DeusXM

'COOL!, something else I get to buy other than insulin, needles, test strips, meters, dr bills, eye exams, laser treatment, ect.......

I can't even get my insurance company to cover the cost of test strips. And what are the low income people with no health insurance going to do?'

Try lobbying your government to actually give a damn about its electorate and get a proper, nationalised health service so you can get everything free like I do.

jrlo2009
Hidden

Jason Reece is one of the leading criminal defense attorney's in the North Carolina area. He deals with charlotte dwi and many more cases. Visit his website for additional information.

Supermario
I agree with you, Andrea. In fact, here in Alberta, I am required by law to renew my license every year, at which point i am required to have a driver's medical done. Which costs me an arm and a leg, but then I can't trust the other person now can I?!

I'm an Alberta boy myself. I may be headed for the big lawsuit one day, but I just "forgot" to tell the registry that I'm a diabetic and I avoid all those hassles. For what it's worth, I've never had a hypo while driving that has caused me to lose control of the vehicle. I think I'm lucky in that my hypos don't ever make me faint or overly weak. I've never had a hypo I couldn't correct myself.

Always keep some glucose tabs or licorice or SOMETHING in you glove box. I've been stuck in traffic jams on freeways where if I didn't have some glucose tabs, I think I would have had to go car-to-car begging for food.

sarahspins

I have *never* had a hypo while driving... I test before I get in the car, EVERY time.. if I am low-ish I'll have some carbs and wait 10-15 minutes and re-stest. Even if I just run a quick errand, I test when I leave the house, and I test when I head home from wherever I went.

It honestly just seems stupid not to. I think any diabetic who chooses not to do that little thing for the safety of everyone, and does end up going into insulin shock while driving should be treated the same as a DWI.

PrettynPurple
Hidden

I can see it now, the latest technology in cars, a built in meter, 100 strips free with every car that orders them :D

PrettynPurple

Maybe somebody will invent a device for your car that won't allow it to start if your bg is too low. Kind of like the breathalizer for people who drive drunk. I don't want to see diabetics discriminated against, but I have seen my son in a hypoglycemic episode, and I would hate to be driving while someone in the oncoming traffic was having an episode.

I can see it now, the latest technology in cars, a built in meter, 100 strips free with every car that orders them :D

butterflykisses

Although I totally agree that we should ALWAYS test before getting behind the wheel, injected insulin is not always predictable. You might be fine and then 10 minutes later, not so fine. I have a friend who I've been in the car with when her BG dropped and she was fine when she tested not long before. Scared the heck out of me because, although she was chomping down candies, I could not get her to pull over...cause sometimes hypoglycemia is a bit stubborn. :D Every time we would pass a convenience store she would say "I think we're going in circles, we just passed that place". :eek: I kept trying to reason with her...why, I don't know... telling her that we have not turned, there's no way we could be going in circles, etc. The point is, she tested fine before driving. Unfortunately we can do everything our brain thinks is right, but our bodies might disagree.

Mathewkey
Hidden

When a person is driving or is in actual physical control of a vehicle within this state and is under the influence of alcoholic beverages, any chemical substance, when affected to the extent that the person's normal faculties are impaired; has a blood or breath-alcohol level of 0.08 or more how it can be mistaken but still If you have been charged with a DUI you should seek legal help at once from DUI Lawyers .

cherokee_psh
Try lobbying your government to actually give a **** about its electorate and get a proper, nationalised health service so you can get everything free like I do.

Obamacare will bee in affect soon enough here in the states. I'm dreading the tax bills once they start rolling in.