Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Seagal

Cereal (With Hemp)

Seagal

I  liked the sound of this one, think I would leave the nanna flavoring out. Have not tried this and do not know what it would do to b.g.

http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/201...ed-cereal.html

I ordered some hemp seeds from Amazon and thought I would add chia & flax to the mix.

No, this cereal won't make you "high" :)

Seagal

Here is the recipe.

Yield: Serves 10

Serving Size: About 1/2 cup

image: http://cf.alldayidreamaboutfood.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Banana-Nut-Cereal.jpg

Banana-Nut-Cereal.jpg

This low carb banana-flavored cereal is the breakfast recipe you've been waiting for! Totally grain-free, it's made with almond meal, hemp seeds and flaked coconut. Dig in!

Ingredients

• 1 1/2 cups Bob's Red Mill almond meal
  • 1 cup Bob's Red Mill hemp seeds
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
  • 1 cup Bob's Red Mill unsweetened flaked coconut
  • 1/3 cup Swerve Sweetener
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 3 tbsp butter, melted
  • 2 tsp banana extract
  • 1 large egg

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 300F and line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together the almond meal, hemp seeds, nuts, coconut, sweetener and salt.
  3. Stir in butter, extract and egg until mixture begins to clump together. Spread mixture out onto prepared baking sheet and press down to help it clump together.
  4. Bake about 25 minutes, stirring 2 or 3 times, until beginning to brown. Turn off oven and let cereal sit inside for 5 to 10 minutes more.

Notes

Serves 10. Each serving has 12.95 g of carbs and 8.17 g of fiber. Total NET CARBS = 4.78

Food energy: 446kcal Total fat: 38.38g Calories from fat: 345 Cholesterol: 9mg Carbohydrate: 12.95g Total dietary fiber: 8.17g Protein: 13.19g Sodium: 108mg

Read more at http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/2015/05/low-carb-banana-nut-hemp-seed-cereal.html#Q5f9gOQ8BhSfxUhY.99

Seagal

I mixed up a double batch of the dry stuff and will finish the liquids in the morning.  Didn't want to turn on the oven this afernoon.

I used pumpkin pie spice and may add some Madagascar Vanilla.

TX_Clint

I really have a thing about these serving sizes. 1/2 cup of cereal? Why bother? So, a more normal cup of cereal is 10g net carbs. Just a bit much carbs for what you get but would be ok with a side of bacon and eggs. :)

Seagal

The house smells like chocolate chip cookies and no haven't baked any.  The cereal isn't quite what I expected, not crunchy enough, so I have it in the oven at 195 for an hour or so.

Clint, I get what you are saying.  Although, 1/2 c is plenty for me with all the fiber and a splash of cream.  Some days I am sick of bacon and eggs (did I just say that?) and something like this might be the answer.  Five carbs doesn't go over my allotted 6 for breakfast, so works for me.

If I don't just love it, then I've just wasted some ingredients and fuel for the oven, but the house smells great :D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.