Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mlb94

How old are all the Type 1 diabetics on this page?

Mlb94

Hello.

I am just curious to know old every one is on here who has type 1 diabetes. I am currently 22, and have had diabetes since I was 18.

Uff Da

Well, I don't usually check the "Young adults with diabetes" forums specifically, though I occasionally rely if the question is something that I feel I can contribute. I'm 74. I didn't develop type 1 until age 70, so I like to joke that I guess I must be a late bloomer to develop what used to be called "juvenile diabetes" at that age.

Welcome to DF. I expect some of the younger members will be around before long.

Mlb94

I thought it would be kind of nice finding people my age to talk to who have this disease. I had no idea you can get it at age 70. I think my great grandma got type 2 around 75. I thought only young children can get Type 1 Diabetes, so I was shocked at getting it at age 18.

Cora

I thought it would be kind of nice finding people my age to talk to who have this disease. I had no idea you can get it at age 70. I think my great grandma got type 2 around 75. I thought only young children can get Type 1 Diabetes, so I was shocked at getting it at age 18.

They don't call it "juvenile" diabetes any more (haven't for decades) because you can get it at any age.

Gladtobehere

If something like this forum existed when I was diagnosed at age 24 I would have been in the young adult section.  I am 63 now and still doing quite well (still got all my fingers and toes). 

I feel young but I don't consider myself a young adult.  

Kit

How do they define a person is type 1 and others are type 2?

Type1 is an autoimmune attack on the pancreas.  They do blood tests to look for antibodies.  If they exist, you are Type 1.

ant hill

OMG I was just 10 in 1971 as I walked in to the Royal Childerens Hospital with Ballet tights I was a walking frame!! in skin I was starving!!! Misrible with this as I wished to be back on the Barre. So 45 Years later I am quite the reverce Fat and again Misrible. :( I am 54 today. So may the Micro Biologist find more about the Immune System. a possible Spleen problem? Have gone past the foxp3 yet? *Sigh* another 4 years.

notme

No matter what age we are, we all face the same struggles. For women, age is a bit more pertinent because of childbearing. But honestly, day to day we all have the same battles.

Sunnysanghera

Hello am 30 I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when I was 18 back in 2003 I must admit I find it very difficult to talk about and just try and block it out and get on with it but sometimes it's very difficult especially recently as I get hypos while am asleep then wake up next day feeling sick with headache and few times during this I have wet the bed not knowing I have even done it which shows how low it must have been all this and before I sleep the levels seem okay

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.