Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dowling gram

Share some summer drink recipes with me

dowling gram

Mostly my drinks are coffee, chocolate cool breeze almond milk and water. Today after a morning of gardening as I was downing a glass of cold water I was dreaming of Tim's iced Cappuccino. That's a no no--too many carbs-- but it didn't stop me wanting one. So--has anyone got some cold refreshing drink recipes to share.

Hammer

I don't think that this is what you are looking for, but I like Seagram's 7 mixed with Sprite Zero (formerly Diet Sprite).  If that's not to your taste, maybe try Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum mixed with diet rootbeer.  I liked diet Frostie Rootbeer, but I can't find it anymore, so I switched to A&W diet rootbeer, which tastes just as good.  I think that any diet rootbeer would taste good.

Weezy

I make my own version of an iced mocha....brew a cuppa with some 100% chocolate melted in it (I like the Lindt 100% chocolate bar), use a teeny bit of sweetener to take the edge off (I like it pretty bitter), add cream, and pour over ice.

Sometimes I'll put the ice in a blender and then throw in the coffee/melted chocolate and cream in and make a frappe.

More healthy than a Starbucks, but gives the same feeling of being a treat!

Other than that, I drink iced tea every afternoon and have a variety of flavors to match my mood.

Weezy

I don't think that this is what you are looking for, but I like Seagram's 7 mixed with Sprite Zero (formerly Diet Sprite).  If that's not to your taste, maybe try Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum mixed with diet rootbeer.  I liked diet Frostie Rootbeer, but I can't find it anymore, so I switched to A&W diet rootbeer, which tastes just as good.  I think that any diet rootbeer would taste good.

Ooooooo Hammer....you just gave me an idea and I don't know why I didn't think of it years ago.....put some cream into a root beer and I bet it would taste like a float!

Haven't had A&W diet for decades; may have to try it again and see if the cream idea works.  Might be a nice afternoon-on-the-deck type of thing.

And my evening treat is often a shot of Jameson's, one ice cube, sipped slowly.  :P  

Doesn't the Capt'n Morgan's Spiced Rum have sugar in it?  For the flavorings I mean (I know what rum is made out of)....I've been afraid to try any of the flavored things for fear that there is added sugar.

NoraWI

For me a real thirst quencher is half a fresh lime squeezed into cold water with a couple of ice cubes and a drop of liquid Splenda.

mzteacher

The cream does work wonderful in the root beer!

I have liked the crystal Light lemonade packets for years.

I used to like sugar free Tang. They took this off the market years ago. I was heart broken.

Now they have brought back the sugar free Tang in drops. There are many flavors of drops on the market now.

What I like about them is there is not waste if you just want to flavor a little bit of water. You decide how strong to make it.

Mio makes some nice sugar free flavors, Kool Aide has sugar free drops. Milo has a cherry blackberry and an apple I like. Their orange/tangerine is not too bad. The Tang is my new go too!. It has been nice to have some new options after years and years of the lemonade packets!

dowling gram

Thanks Hammer but I never did acquire a taste for alcohol of any sort. When I was young the only way I'd have a drink is if it was so loaded with fruit that you couldn't taste the alcohol. As I grew older that went and I decided if I had to disguise it what was the sense of drinking at all so I was the designated driver before there was such a thing

I too thought of root beer float with cream when you mentioned it. I wonder what it would be like with vanilla almond milk too. I do like the unsweetened almond breeze that I add a bit of sweetener to. It's low in calories too.

I like the idea of iced coffee with chocolate. With crushed ice it would be almost as good as an ice cap.

Sugar free root beer is not bad and I have the occasional sugar free sprite but as a rule I'm not crazy about drops or anything sweetened with aspertame but I did noticed in the grocery the other day that kool aid liquid drops are sweetened with sucalose. It was quite expensive though but I may give it a try.

Nora -I like the idea of a half lime too.

Thanks to everyone who replied I think now I have some ideas for some new thirst quenchers.

Kit

I really love the True Citrus packets. My personal favorites are grapefruit and orange. I adore both flavors and there is nothing artificial about the flavors, unlike most of the drops and similar. One packet in a glass of club soda or seltzer water with ice can really hit the spot on a hot day. There's very little sweetness to it which I personally prefer.

I've also loved iced tea in hot weather since I was a little kid. Unsweetened of course. I really like a simple black, but there are so many flavored teas out there that you can end up with just about any flavor profile you can imagine. My current favorite is a black green blend with flavors of papaya and coconut and I forget what else. Very good iced. Celestial seasoning also makes a wide variety of herbals which are also excellent iced. I like mixing their True Blueberry with a basic black.

meyery2k

I have found a couple sprays of Torani's SF French Vanilla syrup into seltzer or Coke zero to be quite tasty.

Hammer

Ooooooo Hammer....you just gave me an idea and I don't know why I didn't think of it years ago.....put some cream into a root beer and I bet it would taste like a float!

Haven't had A&W diet for decades; may have to try it again and see if the cream idea works.  Might be a nice afternoon-on-the-deck type of thing.

And my evening treat is often a shot of Jameson's, one ice cube, sipped slowly.  :P  

Doesn't the Capt'n Morgan's Spiced Rum have sugar in it?  For the flavorings I mean (I know what rum is made out of)....I've been afraid to try any of the flavored things for fear that there is added sugar.

I just looked it up, and Captain Morgan Spiced Rum has 4 carbs in one shot of it.

mzteacher

The Tang drops are sweetened with sucralose as is the Mio I have and the Minute Maid Lemonade with both sucralose and stevia. I get them on sale at Lucky's.

DeusXM

2 shots of gin

Half shot of maraschino

Juice of half a lemon

Half shot of creme de violette

Pop in a shaker over ice, shake and pour, party like it's 1921 at the Savoy on the Strand and Harry Craddock's serving.

meyery2k

2 shots of gin

Half shot of maraschino

Juice of half a lemon

Half shot of creme de violette

Pop in a shaker over ice, shake and pour, party like it's 1921 at the Savoy on the Strand and Harry Craddock's serving.

You had me interested at the gin...

DeusXM

It's the Aviation cocktail - a proper vintage style one from the pre-Prohibition era. Creme de violette is very hard to find so you can leave it out if you want, although you do lose some of the flavour and your drink will not have the grey-blue sky colour which gives the drink its name.

If you're not too worried about carbs you can garnish with a cocktail cherry too, otherwise a lemon twist works great.

Gets you smashed quickly too.  :D

Weezy

You had me interested at the gin...

Oh yes....and my all time summer favorite for late afternoons is a gin and tonic!  Now I use the Schwepp's diet tonic, although I rarely drink cocktails anymore (except for my couple times a week night cap of Jamesons). 

That Aviation sounds amazing, although I'm not sure I could get around the grey-blue color but who'd want to leave out the creme de violette?  :lol:

I might try some of those Mio or other flavoring drops....I've looked at them but just haven't gotten any.

Hammer

A drink that I used to enjoy was called the Rum Bellies Vengeance, and I first tasted it at the Dobbin House in Gettysburg, PA.  Once I found out to make it, I'd make it at home from time to time.  I haven't had one of those in many years, and I just looked up the nutritional values of it, and I know that I'll never have another one.  One drink has 828 calories, and contains 105.7 carbs!!!  I mean, since it has a lot of strong alcohol in it, how would you bolus for it, considering that it has 105 carbs, but also has a lot of alcohol?  The Dobbin House would only allow you to have two of them, since it was so potent.

DeusXM

I mean, since it has a lot of strong alcohol in it, how would you bolus for it, considering that it has 105 carbs, but also has a lot of alcohol?

Judging by the ingredients, I imagine the correct bolus technique is to have the drink and you'll find you stop caring about what your blood sugar is doing, or indeed, anything at all!

meyery2k

Judging by the ingredients, I imagine the correct bolus technique is to have the drink and you'll find you stop caring about what your blood sugar is doing, or indeed, anything at all!

I would have to agree.  After 1 drink it would be, diabetes, what's that?

Hammer

The first time I went to the Dobbin House and ordered a Rum Bellies Vengeance, it had no effect on me, so I ordered a second one.  When that had no effect on me, I ordered a third one.  The waitress looked at me to see if I was drunk, and when she saw that I was completely sober, allowed me to have a third one.  After the third one, my brother and his wife were ready to leave, so we did, but having that third one still had no effect on me.  I guess that, being a big, muscular guy back then, helped keep me sober.  I've never had any ill effects from that drink, so I can only attribute that to my physical conditioning.  My avatar is my physical condition back then.  If I drank three of those drinks today, I'd probably be passed out on the floor of the Dobbin House. :D

Rbubbaray

I have a harder time finding good tasting drinks , more so then food for D2 .

I just cant get myself to like diet or artificial sweeteners .. I haven't had caffeine drinks either over 25 years .

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.