Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JanetP

Looking for a good pickle recipe

JanetP

The person who said he wanted to buy all of my cucumbers this season flaked out on me last night and I am stuck with 10 lbs of pickling cucumbers.  I would like to make pickles and am looking for a recipe that will allow for canning in a water bath.  The last time I tried pickles they came out mushy after canning.  Does anyone have a good recipe that will make crisp pickles?  I would try the refrigerator type, but there is not enough room in my fridge for all of them.

dowling gram

I've had your mushy problem once years ago when I was first pickling. If your pickles came out mushy you cooked them too long or you didn't brine them long enough. Once you add the  vinegar etc. you just bring the juice to a boil and then take them off the heat and jar them. They don't have to be cooked only hot so the snap lids seal. It is the vinegar and sugar that preserves them. The easiest pickles to make are dills and they don't require sugar any sweet pickles do and I don't know how it would work with sweetener because i've never tried it. I'm not a big pickle eater and neither is my husband so I don't make pickles much any more. The exception is my hot sweet mixed pickles for company but it wouldn't use up many cukes.

Have you thought of putting up a sign--cukes for sale-- or parking in a grocery parking lot and selling them. People have done that with different things at our grocery. We give away our excess cukes to our neighbours and the food bank and my snack at night is often a couple of peeled small cukes dipped in ranch dressing.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.