Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tonibaby

Pork Chops

Tonibaby

Anyone have a good bone in pork chop recipe...getting tired of plain old grilled and baked chops with seasoning

Kit

Pan Fried - oh my, this one looks good

http://cavemanketo.com/pan-fried-pork-chops/

Parmesan Crusted Pork Chops

http://www.fatsecret.com/recipes/parmesan-crusted-pork-chops/Default.aspx?dietid=192189&lc=true

Though, in all honesty, I would go for fatty cut and bone in.  tastes a whole lot better.

Keto Lime Pork Chops (crock pot)

http://ketosizeme.com/keto-lime-pork-chops/

Jala[eno Popper Smothered Pork Chops

http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2015/08/jalapeno-popper-smothered-pork-chops-low-carb.html

Mustard Glazed Pork Chops with Pan Gravy

http://fluffychixcook.com/mustard-glazed-pork-chops-with-pan-gravy-keto-and-low-carb-bliss/

Personally I like to just season well and pan fry in bacon fat.  Then I make a gravy afterwards with the left over fat in the pan and some heavy whipping cream.  Simmer on low until the cream thickens.  Added salt and pepper (or any other seasoning) to taste.

Kit

Pork just so happens to be my favorite meat out there, with the exception of maybe crab.  While I know you were asking got pork chop ideas, I have to toss this one out.

http://www.ruled.me/crispy-skin-slow-roasted-pork-shoulder/

I've done this one before and it not only tastes so very good, but makes enough leftovers for close to a week and means I only have to make my sides.

Rbubbaray

Bring 1 cup of the water to a boil, add the salt and optional flavorings, and stir to dissolve the salt. Add 2 more cups of cold water to bring the temperature of the brine down to room temperature. Place the pork chops in a shallow dish and pour the brine over top.

3 cups cold water, divided
3 tablespoons coarse kosher salt (or 2 1/2 tablespoons table salt)

The Brine helps with keeping the moisture in the chop , and bone in is the best because the marrow adds flavor .you will still get some dryness as with any meat the more you cut into the chop while eating .But I impressed many folks with this method .

For the seasoning of the brine , I add Garlic , soy sauce . and Thyme or rose mary can add a nice touch . and a sweetener which can be added later , { pineapple juice etc or some Brown sugar } make sure you are comfy with the seasonings you use .

Let them soak for a least 6 hours or overnight is best .

In mean time lets talk about how marinades work ..which tends to have empty molecules which will not penetrate the meat and add what is needed , but with spices it becomes a meat pounding pop of goodness ,

You notice if you make a boiled dinner with Corn beef or Ham , that it can be dry , even though it was boiled in water , it is because water alone is a magnet of oils in the meat , but full molecules of flavor can only add to the meat and not deplete that flavor , this is why many great cooks will cook  with a stock or booze to add those flavors , not just water alone . plus these types of meats can tend to be very lean fat wise .

Lets get back to these chops :)

I advise a grill either gas or charcoal . get that grill very Hot .. least 400 degrees . and before it gets to full heat , get some paper towel with some cooking oils , and coat the grates .

Now in a small bowl , lets combine some good oil , like olive oil and some melted butter , and now lets add sweetener if you want to{ apple juice , apple sauce , or even a BBQ sauce .but not to thick } and if you love garlic add a bit more  , again you are the boss here and you make that decision . even a oil based oil base dressing can be added like good seasons  Italian dressing .

Now get those chops and put on grill , you want to hear that seer :) I will not cover cooking times because I do not know thickness etc . and bone in can take a tad more time .

Now start coating  the top part of the chop with that glaze .{keep in mid most the sugars will burn off .. as diebtics goes } and also keep in mind sugars added will make things burn more rapid.but I find that adding a wash while cooking , gives you a very moist and tasty chop :)

do the the cross grill mark thing after few minutes , then flip and proceed with the other side , adding that basting mixture , the more you add that splash the better .

You want to cook to a temp of 145 degrees then remove from flame and let them sit about 5 minutes , to retain that goodness and juices . they will still heat up to about 155 degrees .

The serving platter if done correct , you add the chops too should have a puddle of juices at the bottom , which you can pour over each chop once plated up .

Enjoy :) let me know how it goes ..

NoraWI

Dana Carpentar has a wonderful mixture of spices for a rub. I use it mainly for spareribs but it can be used on any pork cut including chops. I prefer center cut pork chops or baby back ribs.

1 T paprika

2 t chili powder

2/3 t salt

1/4 t dry mustard

1/4 t garlic powder

1/8 t freshly ground pepper

couple of dashes of powdered cayenne pepper (optional)

Stir and shake well to mix.

I triple or even quadruple the recipe and store in a tightly closed jar. I also reduce the amount of salt a bit, increase the garlic powder, and add a couple of dashes of powdered cayenne pepper for a subtle bit of heat.

The above amount divided among three eaters yields 2g of carbohydrate and 1 gram of fiber, for a total of 1g of usable carbs and no protein.

dowling gram

When I fry chops I spread yellow mustard on one side and then put them in the pan and spread it on the other side. The mustard gives them a nice flavor.

I bread them using equal parts of vital wheat gluten and Parmesan cheese and double dip them. First in the dry mix and then in an egg beaten with a little cream and then back in the dry mix. Then I bake them or fry them.

One of my favorite ways is to make chicken Parmesan and sub chops for the chicken. I use marinara sauce. First I bread them using the above recipe and fry them in olive oil on medium heat. I spread a  layer of marinara sauce on the bottom of a baking dish. Then a single layer of the chops. Top with a tablespoon of marinara and spread over the chop. Sprinkle on 2 tablespoons fresh chopped basil or use dried (you need less if it's dried) and top with grated Mozzarella cheese and bake @ 350 for about 30 minutes or until cheese starts to brown.    Note the marinara does add a few carbs but it doesn't raise my BG .

samuraiguy

If you have a grill, you can smoke them (indirect heat for a longer time), I don't do the glaze part, but make low carb sauces to dip them in on the side. Get ones with a good fat strip still on (oddly enough these are usually the cheapest)--you can remove after smoking if not eating keto--because that's where the flavor is. You can look up low carb or keto stuffing recipes, but I don't like stuffed pork chops so I haven't tried any. I use this basic recipe and mix up flavors with the rub and sauces:

http://www.webergrillcover.com/smoked-pork-chops/

princesslinda

I make a coating using crushed pork rinds and parmesan cheese. You can spice it up with seasonings of your choice (think garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, etc). I pulverize the pork rinds and add whatever spices I'm adding then some parmesan cheese. Dredge in egg, coat with mixture and bake. I've done this with chicken as well.

meyery2k

I have made fine chops substituting almond flour for white flour.  My guests have actually preferred them to the flour coated chops.  I just season the flour and do the egg wash thing.  Simple and delicious.

Gladtobehere

I,m no cook.  But sometimes a littlte unsweetened apple sause helps a pork chop a lot.    Or you could do some fried onions and /or tomato.

Taste and food are so specific.   We can only tell you what we like.   Sorry, I am a minimalist when it comes to food prepatation.   By preference not due to diabetes.   So spice it up as you see fit.    Apple sauce not you cup of tea tben try some plum sauce...........

Tonibaby

thanks everyone...these all sound fabulous. i will definitely try them all. the hwc gravy sounds awesome..definitely gonna try that one...i miss my gravy!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.