Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

meyery2k

Steak Diane - Recipe and nutrition info

meyery2k
I pulled this from a newspaper article written about popular home cooked recipes from the 1950's.  It was commented once that many recipes from that time period would be very good for diabetics since they would taste good and not have too many carbs.  I can't wait to try this!

Steak Diane

Saveur
2 tablespoons oil
4 (4-ounce) filet mignon or sirloin steaks
Salt and black pepper, to taste
1-1/2 cups beef stock
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 shallot, minced
4 ounces oyster or hen-of-the-woods mushrooms, torn into small pieces
1/4 cup cognac or brandy (optional)
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon hot sauce, such as Tabasco
1 tablespoon minced parsley
1 tablespoon chopped chives

Heat oil in 12-inch skillet over medium-high. Season steaks with salt and pepper, and add to skillet. Cook, turning once, until browned on both sides and cooked to desired doneness, 4 to 5 minutes for medium-rare. Transfer steaks to a plate.

Return skillet to high heat and add stock, cook until reduced to 1/2 cup and add 1 tablespoon butter. Add garlic and shallots, cook, stirring, until soft, 2 minutes. Pour into bowl and set aside.

Return skillet to heat and add remaining butter. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, until they release liquid, it evaporates and mushrooms begin to brown, 2 minutes.

Add cognac and carefully light with a match to flambee; cook until flame dies. Stir in reserved stock, cream, Dijon, Worcestershire and hot sauce. Return steaks to skillet, cook, turning in sauce, until warmed through and sauce is thickened, 4 minutes. Stir parsley and chives into sauce, pour sauce over steaks. Season with more salt and pepper, to taste. Serves 4.

Approximate nutritional analysis, per serving: 467 calories, 39 g fat, 16 g saturated fat, 106 mg cholesterol, 23 g protein, 5 g carbohydrate, 2 g sugar, 1 g fiber, 387 mg sodium, 33 mg calcium

ant hill

There's nothing like a Rib Eye topped with Dojion Mustard!!! YUm.

NoraWI

Does sound good... if someone else made it. I'm for simplicity in food preparation and the simplest thing to make is a steak. I like mine topped with onions and mushrooms sauteed in olive oil and butter with a fresh grating of black pepper. But... if you want to invite me to a Steak Diane dinner, I'll sacrifice myself. :) Of course, that invite had better be accompanied by a round trip ticket to Hawaii... sometime during our next Wisconsin winter. :D

miketurco

Worstarere... Worsetarire... Worcestererashireser... Oh, heck! Double that recipe, I'm on my way.

ant hill

Of course, that invite had better be accompanied by a round trip ticket to Hawaii... sometime during our next Wisconsin winter. :D

Do they have theirs with fried Pineapple? As the Hawain islands have a lot of Pineapple plantation just about anywhere in Hawaii.

Moonpie

sounds wonderful, & I'd love to eat it, but the cooking method is too long winded for me, I like cooking to be done in minutes, And only a few ingredients

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.