Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JanetP

What do ya'll think of this??

NoraWI

I don't snack so would save money on those. I also have a coop full of laying hens, so wouldn't have to buy the eggs. BTW, half cartons are much more expensive than a full carton of eggs. So save money and buy two entire dozen, or buy a larger carton of 18 eggs. Eggs are the most under-used protein around. Eggs were down to 49 cents a dozen around here in early summer. They are now 99 cents a dozen. Still a bargain. Even at the height of cost, at $2.50 per dozen, they are a tremendous buy. Another bargain is beef liver. Not everyone likes beef liver, but we do. Of course, being the body's toxin filter, it shouldn't be eaten too often. But makes a nice meal, especially with those wild onions she mentions :D. A rotisserie chicken not only saves time but makes us 3 meals for two. We eat the thighs and, possibly a drumstick or two for the first meal. I make chicken salad from the rest on the following day. And for the third day, I make soup from whatever bones and meat are left, adding some frozen mixed veggies. That $6 chicken sure goes a long way. A boneless pork loin roast at $2.50/lb. is good for 3 meals also. The first day we have it as sliced roast with veggies on the side. The second day, I make rollups using low carb lavash. The third day, I slice the remaining roast and slice it further into thin slices. Added to a veggie stirfry with some oriental veggies and soy sauce, makes a quick and satisfying main meal. I think I have filled a full week and haven't even mentioned the frittata by adding eggs to leftovers reheated in a fry pan in real butter, maybe covered with a real cheese. Lots of inexpensive quick meals to cook. None of them really need a recipe to accomplish.

Moonpie

I like the eggs Florentine & the pizza cups sound yummy. I do  like canned fish so that is always a handy pantry option. I think it is worth while to try a few of these ideas, to stretch some money. I don't know where you live LaRue, but selling blood is no longer legal in my state. Good job too.

LaRue

The reason I couldn't eat that moonpie is because of all the chemicals/preservatives/additives in those foods. The fish would be of poor quality. Is there any real cheese in cheese sticks?

Here's a list I came up with for if I had to get by on $25 for a week. I did make an assumption that I had things around the house like oil to cook in, salt and other basic spices etc. I also cut corners on eggs I personally wouldn't buy unless I had no money. I'm big on humane treatment of animals, and cheap eggs come from suffering animals.

I wouldn't really be thrilled with this menu, and would have a bit less than I would like to eat. However, it's nutrious, low cost and at least doable.

BTW, those sardines and avocado can be mixed together to make a wonderful spread for crackers. Yum. The 1 can of tomatoes is meat to add spoonfuls to other items to liven them up. The chicken leg quarters were the already cooked 4 pack from the deli. 4 legs, 4 thighs. The spinach is the cheap store canned type. 

Sardines 2    $       1.80 Avocados 4    $       2.00 Peanut butter 1    $       1.87 Flax crackers- Home made      $       2.00 eggs 18 count    $       1.88 cabbage 1    $       1.50 spinach 3    $       1.74 Cheese      $       2.50 veg on sale      $       2.00 fruit on sale      $       1.50 canned tomato 1    $       1.00 chicken quarters      $       4.00                  Total      $    23.79

rzrbks

"I also have a coop full of laying hens...."  Well "git right in there" and tell them Hens to stop lying down on the job and get busy.

You ain't payin' them to be lazy.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

YORE EGGES DO STAND-UP?

Jim Florentine

An American stand-up comedian, actor, and television personality.

Now see there, that's what I mean by having a "Good Egg."

Serenityearly

I thought it was very smart & maybe cost effective. I would be concerned about sodium content but other than that I think there were some good recipes. I personally plan to try the pizza cups. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.