Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kittyluvr400

Seriously?

Kittyluvr400

So, I woke up today to a fasting number of high 180's. Typical of the last 3 days that I started testing, as I am considered pre diabetic. After checking that, I used my moms meter and it was 115. Then I decided to open the new meter I had not started using yet (wanted to use up the strips, etc from the one I was using, which was my moms other meter), and came up with 160.

Seriously? Now what?

I need a candy bar and ibuprofen..........

..........no, I won't have a candy bar, but I am allowed to want one, right? Zero carbs in wanting.

Also...looking for an app for my iPad that gives listings of foods nutrition/carbs. Not looking to use it as a tracker or recipe finder (I can track in a notebook, and I am not a recipe cooker) Just want a simple list of foods and their carbs.

Thanks

Rose

dowling gram

There are books out there with nutritional info including carbs. I bought one when diagnosed and never use it. Since each canned or prepared food has a different amount of carbs . Since I seldom use use canned and never use prepared food and fresh is lumped in with the rest. By the time I find the listing I want I can have long since found it on line. I made my own list by typing the food looking up the carbs and adding them. It was useful at first but the more I used my meter the more I learned I discovered I didn't need it.

Meters can be off. The next time you go for a lab blood test take the meter you will use with you. Test as soon as they take your blood. Then you can compare the labs reading with your meter. If your meter reads high or low compared to the lab result then you know what to add or subtract from your meter readings. I am lucky as my meter reads exactly what the lab result was

meyery2k

That is a pretty wide variance.  The only ideas I can provide would be to make sure your hands are washed well (soap and water is fine) and completely dry.  Food residue can give a falsely high reading.

I was cutting fruit one morning, then I tested and I was in the high 100's which was impossible because I know what I ate.  I cleaned my hands thoroughly and then tested at 90 something which was expected.

Also when you collect the blood with the strip try to wick up the droplet with the strip rather than scoop it or scrape the skin.  I have found this also provides higher readings.

Very good that you are testing and beginning the process of learning to manage your BG.

Fraser

Meters give guidance not lab results so they can vary, the difference between 160 and 180 on two different meters, none really

The reality is lab results vary between labs too. So forget about the low number and average the higher numbers, 170 about what you expected.

Kittyluvr400

Thanks everyone. Since meters can be off, I will stick to the new one I started today, even though I like moms meter (low number) better. I didn't know they could be off. I may not get the exact number, but I will be able to see the direction of the highs and lows. I will surely take my meter to my next appointment.

GrammaBear

So, I woke up today to a fasting number of high 180's. Typical of the last 3 days that I started testing, as I am considered pre diabetic. After checking that, I used my moms meter and it was 115. Then I decided to open the new meter I had not started using yet (wanted to use up the strips, etc from the one I was using, which was my moms other meter), and came up with 160.

Seriously? Now what?

I need a candy bar and ibuprofen..........

..........no, I won't have a candy bar, but I am allowed to want one, right? Zero carbs in wanting.

Also...looking for an app for my iPad that gives listings of foods nutrition/carbs. Not looking to use it as a tracker or recipe finder (I can track in a notebook, and I am not a recipe cooker) Just want a simple list of foods and their carbs.

Thanks

Rose

You might find "Calorie King" is the app that has what you are looking for.  I have it on my iphone and it is quite helpful.

Fraser

Kittyluvr

I am impressed, considering all the non information you have right now, you are soaking up all our input and making sound decisions.

Great job. I am glad you joined the community and I am sure soon you will be adding your new knowledge to the mix.

William V
You might find "Calorie King" is the app that has what you are looking for. I have it on my iphone and it is quite helpful.

Good suggestion by GrammaBear. Calorie king-"Control my weight" can be set to list carbs as first nutrient.

Hammer

Yes, meters can be off by 10-20%.  That means that if you got a reading of 200, it could actually be anywhere from 160 to 240.

What I did once was to take my meter with me when I had the blood work done, and I told them that when they removed the needle from my arm, to not put anything on the needle site so that I could take a reading with my meter.  Testing the blood at the same spot within seconds after they drew my blood, gave me an indication of how close my meter was to their lab results.

Kittyluvr400

Been testing today with more reasonable pre diabetic numbers. Did wake up to 160, but it dropped and my lowest number today was 126, two hours after lunch. Those were the numbers I was seeing when I told my endo about looking into my sugar levels. I guess I am in the pre stage. I called my pharmacist and luckily there are refills for the strips and lancets, as I am going through them faster by checking so often. My endo gave me the script and told me he only wanted me to check my sugar one day a week. Just one day. He baffles me. So I was shocked he gave me refils.

For now I will look for posts here about my curiosities and so on, and take a good long look at carbs and more carbs. I understand calories, I don't have to look it up to know. Now I'll learn about carbs, sugar, and protein. Oy.

Thanks everyone for your help.

m2hwb41

I suspect that the accuracy of my testing/meter even varies from one batch of strips to the next.  Frustrating!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.