Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

provlima

2 months of LC diet and 18lb weight loss and no significant A1C reduction

provlima

I have been on a low carb diet for two months during which I have  carefully monitoried my BG levels on a daily basis.

The LC diet has resulted in an 18 lb weight loss in that time {192 to 174 lbs)

I was disappointed to learn today the my recent A1C test results have only come down to 5.9 from 6.0 since I last tested in January 2016.

Now I am wondering whether my lack of an exercise program may be the problem.

Don’t know what to make of all this. My efforts so far do not seem to have helped to lower my BG levels.

My A1c numbers have ranged from 5.8 to 6.2 over the last 10 years, and in that time I never watched my diet.

Have any of you had similar poor results?

dowling gram

2 months is not long enough to measure what your blood glucose is doing. An A1C measures the glucose in your blood over a 3 month period. That .1 decrease and your weight loss shows that what you are doing is working. Just give it time.

You might add some mild exercise like walking and it will help or do some activity you enjoy. Exercise is anything that gets you moving. The whole point of diet and exercise is to find a balance that you can stick with for the rest of your life

samuraiguy

If you timed some exercise to blunt your highest PP rise you can probably get your A1C down some. A loss of 10% body weight is good, congrats, but isn't all that much in the big scheme of things as far as insulin resistance goes. I had to lose half a person to get my A1C down 2.0 points pretty steady for 5 years, but now is climbing again so I added back on Metformin.

Aggie

I went low carb 3.5 years ago and my A1c never really changed.  It has stayed 5.7 plus or minus 0.1.  I originally lost about 6 pounds on low carb, but gained them back within the next year.  I am not overweight, but I feel that my ideal weight was around 128 and it is 10 pounds more than that now.  Personally, I blame menopause for a lot of this.  The weight gain and the pre diabetes both perfectly correlate with the onset of menopause.

Since my main goal is to prevent progression, I guess I've been successful in that sense.  Also, I really do think I've eliminated the roller coaster ride of sugar spikes and drops, which are harmful.  But, like you, I wish I'd seen more of a shift in A1c.  I don't think my A1c is an accurate reflection of my average blood sugar because my meter readings do not match it; they are much lower, and I think my A1c should be around 5.3 based on the meter (which is accurate, according to comparisons with lab results).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.