Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kit

Zucchini Meatballs

Kit

For a long time, my mother has lamented on how difficult it is to get my brother to eat vegetables.

Today we were talking and I made a comment on how I should never be allowed to speak to his dietician as I would likely get into a fight with her.  This eventually lead to her wondering if I might have better luck getting him to eat his vegetables.

I then wondered.  Meatballs is a good example.  Here in the states, just about everyone uses dry bread crumbs as a binder.  However most real Italian recipes I've seen for meatballs uses bread soaked in milk.

Most of the recipes I've seen on low carb sites uses pork rinds, flax or other items to replace bread crumbs.  My thought, are they really even needed.  The purpose in the Italian recipes is to add moisture and make them less dense, not bind them together.

And then I did some searches.

http://bakerbynature.com/baked-turkey-zucchini-meatballs/

I wouldn't use turkey myself, but it looks like a good example of a meatball that doesn't require some kind of binder, but uses shredded zucchini instead.

Could serve it in a tomato sauce (mine is 1 can chopped tomatoes with 1 stick of butter and seasonings to taste simmered for about a half hour or so.

So meatballs in tomato sauce and then serve it with spaghetti squash maybe?  Maybe be able to add some very well chopped spinach and hide that in the meatballs as well.

The zucchini and other veggies in the meatballs would reduce the ratio of meat per, which he has to be careful of due to phosphorus.

Anyway, has anyone out there tried something like this?  I can't foresee me having the time before I leave next month, but unless someone pipes up with a this is horrible, I will see if I can try it while I am there.

Kit

I'm planning on it.  My mother was game up until the second I said I would make them, then she changed the subject to how wonderful the local store's rotisserie chicken is.  *sigh*

Think I'm just going to tie her to her bed while I cook.  :)

Oh, also wondering if I could saute a little spinach, blend it in the blender, and put it in as well.  Think he would notice?  Maybe I should lock him in his room while I cook as well.  :D

dowling gram

Thanks Kit. I might try this but I have another way I'd like to try too

I like meatballs and gravy. I may skip the Italian spices and use the ones I have always used for my meatballs. Then bring some beef broth to a gentle boil, add a dash of pepper and thicken with Xanthum gum Then add the meatballs. I'd serve it on a bed of mashed cauliflower. Very low carb!

JuliaDay2013

Both sound delicious! And I really like spinach now, so I eat it and all the strongly flavored vegetables whenever they're available.

Kit

I wonder how they might work in a soup, like Italian wedding or similar.  Would they keep together?  I'll have to see how they are first and then decide if I think they can handle a broth.

I was a weird kid.  I have always adored spinach, even when I was a baby.  Even the canned stuff.  Only one in my family too.  :)

I need to check if my brother can have spaghetti squash.

Oh, and I've said this before but its worth repeating.  Spinach goes very well with tomato sauce.  I have fallen in love with the combination.

Ela

Interesting idea to incorporate vegetables.

I make simple meatballs without any binder these days, not even eggs, because...they just hold together pretty good anyway, and usually don't even make them into "balls" but rather something similar to "burgers" and we call them "cutlets": I only add shredded onion and lots of spices (whatever you like, but to me - salt and black pepper are most important) to the meat and fry my "cutlets" - they come out juicy and delicious.  And we eat them just like that - no sauce, but with some veggies on the side - zucchinis are actually a good side dish ;) ...but yeah, I know - you need to hide them. 

In any case, you can add tomato sauce to my meatballs and have more of a typical thing, but I was never crazy about it in a first place and now I easily skip it to reduce carbs.  Husband loves tomato sauce, but he loves my "meatballs" (or "cutlets) just as much.

Kit

I like tomato sauce, but use it sparingly myself.  But then I was never much of one for drowning pasta in sauce, just enough to add a little moisture/flavor without it being a major component.  Here I'm hoping the tomato sauce will help hide the vegetables.  :D

Mr Fuzzy, on the other hand, has been known to eat spaghetti sauce from a bowl with a spoon all by itself.

Actually he has been known to eat an entire can (those small ones) of tomato paste with a spoon directly from the can itself.

I have mentioned that Mr Fuzzy is 'special'.  :D

Moonpie

You can blend or puree a winter squash like an acorn squash ( cooked) into the sauce, it just melds right in with it,  & you don't even notice it. ( for veg averse folk) I, will eat any veg.

Ela

I like tomato sauce, but use it sparingly myself.  But then I was never much of one for drowning pasta in sauce, just enough to add a little moisture/flavor without it being a major component.  Here I'm hoping the tomato sauce will help hide the vegetables.  :D

Mr Fuzzy, on the other hand, has been known to eat spaghetti sauce from a bowl with a spoon all by itself.

Actually he has been known to eat an entire can (those small ones) of tomato paste with a spoon directly from the can itself.

I have mentioned that Mr Fuzzy is 'special'.  :D

My husband is a Mr Fuzzy's twin!  ;)  Yes, he has been known to eat tomato sauces and tomato paste right from the can and finish it all in a flash! 

And I'm just as you - I kind of like it, but in moderation. 

Seagal

My husband is a Mr Fuzzy's twin!  ;)  Yes, he has been known to eat tomato sauces and tomato paste right from the can and finish it all in a flash! 

And I'm just as you - I kind of like it, but in moderation. 

My husband considers catsup one of the major food groups, guess he is pretty special too!  He hasn't noticed it is s.f.

Kit

Ketchup Sandwiches.  One of his favorites.  *shudder*

Of course, this is the person who used to eat onion sandwiches.  Bread, onion, mustard.  I guess I can't talk.  :)

Ela

Of course, this is the person who used to eat onion sandwiches.  Bread, onion, mustard.  I guess I can't talk.  :)

Oh oh oh  Onion and mustard?  That's the perfect meal if you ask my husband! We call onions a "major food source"!  Again - I like onions, but can't eat lots of them raw - I don't feel right.  But I use A LOT in my cooking.  Husband though finally realized that raw onions probably give him too much gas and he slowed down a bit on them... -_- 

Kit

One of my favorite snacks (and meals sometimes) used to be to cut up an onion into quarters or eights (depending on its size) and then separate its layers and end up with these little scoops.  I would then use the scoops to eat hummus, ham and beans, or similar items.

Can't do things like that anymore (I could eat 2 onions in one sitting if I were really hungry) but I do manage to keep them in my diet albeit in a lesser quantity.  :)

TooSweetForMe

I had an uncle who used to like lima bean sandwiches, and my mom likes mayo sandwiches.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.