Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Facts1962

Daily average blood glucose

Facts1962

I am pre-diabetic and trying to understand all the different numbers. I understand that the a1c is an average of 3 months. I also understand the home testing and the numbers. But in order to get a 3 month average, doesn't a daily average contribute to that 3 month average?

I'll try to explain what sounds correct in my head. If I eat breakfast and lunch and after testing both are at 95mg, then after dinner I test at 145mg, can I average this out for the day? Other words, is it ok to be at lower numbers for 2 of the meals and then one of the meals to be a little high? Those numbers I used were just examples, I've never tested over 125mg,

I am not taking any meds, I'm trying to control this with diet and excercise.

dowling gram

Your testing numbers are just a few glimpses into what your blood glucose is doing. They are useful for signaling highs and lows and deciding what you can or can't eat but they do not give you the same reading by averaging as you get with an A1C. You can't calculate what your blood glucose is doing when you are not testing.

I don't worry about exactness. As long as my testing puts me in the range I want to be in. I know my A1C will show a good number and that's all I really care about. I try to keep my Blood glucose within range all the time (80 to 120 )and seldom go over those numbers. It is better to keep things that way than to run highs and lows

miketurco

I try to keep things south of 100. I'm not always there, especially in the mornings, but...

That's what I'm shootin' for. (Sorry, I just had to.)

samuraiguy

Welcome to the forums. Glycation is your blood glucose level times length of time at various BG levels. You could use a continuous glucose monitor or take your BG with your meter every half hour for day, but I am finding out it depends on your lab versus your meter as my 30 day average used to match my lab's A1C almost exactly until recently. Now the "ultra accurate" meter they gave me appears to read 10 points too low, but even if I upscale 10 points my 30 day average has been .2 to .3  lower than what the lab A1C shows. What you can do is bring your meter to your next lab fasting BG test and take a finger sample the same time as the lab draws the blood. This will show how different your meter is from your lab and allow a somewhat more accurate 30 day average versus A1C estimation.

meyery2k

Welcome and congratulation for making the decision to try and manage this!

I was diagnosed about 7 months ago and am still getting the hang of some of these things...

The meter gives a snapshot of right now.  The A1C would give you an idea of the overall trend of your BG.

You can make some occasional "mistakes" when eating and your meter will help catch those so you don't repeat them.  This would have little effect on your a1C since you don't stay elevated for a long time.

Many here say diabetes is like a marathon and I would have to agree.  We can look at our splits (meter readings) and use them to adjust our pace but it is the ending time (a1C) that determines how well we ran the overall race.

Just my $.02

I hope you decide to join our community.  There is a post where we share our fasting BG levels.  I find it helps keep me accountable to myself and to the friends I have made here.

You will find a lot of advice about diet and strategies you can use to manage your pre D.  The poster here have years of experience and I have used much of this advice successfully. ~ Mike

Facts1962

Thanks for the replies. I've read a lot about blood glucose, it's just that in my head I kept thinking of different things. Now someone was telling me that they were told by their doctor that they can have a slice of cake as long as they eat some kale or spinach immediately after. The kale and spinach neutralizes the sugars from the cake. I have never read anything like that. Does this sound correct?

Tonibaby

Sounds like someone trying to justify that piece of cake they ate..lol!

Cake has sugar..sugar is bad!

Thats like saying if I eat this salad those cookies I ate earlier won't count! LOL!  ^_^

Facts1962

I said the same thing, no sugar means no sugar. If it could be that easy then I could still have all my sweets with a side of spinach.

MariaGordon

An average blood glucose level, expressed in milligrams per decilitre, based on a person’s glycosylated hemoglobin level. Estimated average glucose is considered easier for people with diabetes and their doctors to work with than HbA1c, since it is given in the same units as everyday blood glucose readings.

Ela

I am pre-diabetic and trying to understand all the different numbers. I understand that the a1c is an average of 3 months. I also understand the home testing and the numbers. But in order to get a 3 month average, doesn't a daily average contribute to that 3 month average?

I'll try to explain what sounds correct in my head. If I eat breakfast and lunch and after testing both are at 95mg, then after dinner I test at 145mg, can I average this out for the day? Other words, is it ok to be at lower numbers for 2 of the meals and then one of the meals to be a little high? Those numbers I used were just examples, I've never tested over 125mg,

I am not taking any meds, I'm trying to control this with diet and excercise.

I agree with other posters here - No, you won't get a correct average from just 2 tests a day. It could be impossible to get a totally correct one even from 10 times a day, but in this case your result logically should be closer to the true value.   In any case it's not exact math.  

An average blood glucose level, expressed in milligrams per decilitre, based on a person’s glycosylated hemoglobin level. Estimated average glucose is considered easier for people with diabetes and their doctors to work with than HbA1c, since it is given in the same units as everyday blood glucose readings.

What you consider "Estimated glucose average"?  I think we established already that there is basically no such thing unless we use CGMS and monitor our blood 24/7.  That would be ideal, but very small percentage of diabetics have this luxury. 

And maybe it's "easier" as it's in the same units, but it's not a rocket science and most learn in one day what A1C values mean. And I'm sure doctors know the values of both and have no trouble working with different units.

But I think I know what you're referring to, but I'd rather hear it from you than make assumptions.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.