Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kittyluvr400

Edema/ swelling

Kittyluvr400

Is there an issue with swelling of the feet and joints if you have diabetes? I read of swelling, but usually associated with the eyes. I binged a couple of days last week on brownies and blueberry muffins. Sigh, I know. I never have water retention, but I have had it for 3-4 days now. I took 80 mg of lasex a couple of days ago. (yes, a high dose...expired...so I took that much because the potency was low---been on them before while on Lyrica, so they were in the house), Sure, I needed to urinate every ten minutes for two hours (typical response for me) and they always worked while on the Lyrica. I am not on Lyrica now, too many bad side effects. But the swelling continues. The swelling aggravates my arthritis, which causes me joint pain.

Oddly though, while working in the garden for 2-3 hrs a day, I sweat buckets twice a day! You would think the sweating would make water retention a non issue. Unless.....

......diabetes causes water retention?

I am finally getting back to my eye dr this week, as I have high pressure...not glaucoma, but am watched and use drops, which help the pressure. I've been overdue for an appointment, but reading about diabetes and eye pressure...I made the appointment.

princesslinda

Swelling/edema can be caused by different things. Some medications can cause fluid retention, as can too much sodium/salt. Heart and kidney issues can also cause it. I'd encourage you to see your doctor if this swelling continues. In the meantime, watch your salt intake, drink plenty of water and when you're sitting around, keep your feet elevated/propped.

NoraWI

I don't know anything about foot or joint swelling with diabetes. Of course, Rheumatoid Arthritis (AR) is an autoimmune condition like T1 diabetes. I suppose it might be possible that diabetic complications that impair blood circulation in the legs and feet could also cause edema. The only time I have any ankle swelling is when I use lace-up boots all day. I suppose those boots somehow constrict the blood vessels. The swelling in my ankles invariably subsides overnight and does not appear again as long as I don't wear those lace-ups.

Kittyluvr400

Thanks. I know it's not medication related, and I don't eat much salt. All the obvious ideas are ruled out. I thought I might have been on to something...maybe diabetes related. It's not huge swelling, just enough to aggravate the joints in the feet and wrists.

jwags

I have had diabetes for almost 10 years. The only time I had leg and ankle swelling was when I was on statins for 18 months. Most leg and ankle swelling may be due to hesrt problems. I really feel the Statins messed with my CoQ 10 levels and showed up as edema. I have macular edema in my eye from diabetes but rarely see it in my legs anymore since I ditched the statins. I would talk to your doctor about it.

adiantum

At first my ankles swelled & then my lower legs .

This all started when I took an anti inflammatory  for a knee injury.

That raised my blood pressure & the side effect of  those meds caused edema.

I just don't  tolerate meds.

Kittyluvr400

My body is spot on perfect. None of my meds are an issue. I have myself on a LCHF diet, which is new. My bg is still in the 150 range after fasting all night, but due to very few carbs I am seeing 90's through the day 2 hrs after meals. It's baffling. It's not serious swelling, just enough for me to notice due to the top of my feet hurting from the excess water.

Thanks everyone. I'll just keep tabs on it and take it from there.

adiantum

Try & catch it early  to prevent that perfect body from becoming imperfect as you age by discussing it with your doctor.

Congrats for keeping your daytime readings within nice numbers. 

Kittyluvr400

Oh my....my body is far from perfect. Ya gotta love it when your iPad decided to help you type. I meant my bp.....blood pressure, is spot on perfect. That typo certainly needed correction. LOL

Moonpie

Oh my....my body is far from perfect. Ya gotta love it when your iPad decided to help you type. I meant my bp.....blood pressure, is spot on perfect. That typo certainly needed correction. LOL

LOL

adiantum

Awwwwwwwwwwww   what a shame. :D

I was so happy for you  but now I see you just like  us.

No worries mate... I still wish you well :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.