Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kittyluvr400

Hungry

Kittyluvr400

I am getting hungry after my lo carb dinner. Within 2-3 hours I NEED something to fill me up or I am going to start opening cabinets and the fridge. I have always loved peanut butter...I figured it's low carb and maybe, for a nice change, it is good for me now. Prior, while counting calories, peanut butter was a no no. Now I have two tablespoons of peanut butter and that takes care of my hunger. It seems, by the nutrition label, it is ok for me to now have my peanut butter as a after dinner snack. Plus I bought the Breyers 4 grams of sugar vanilla ice cream. (Another no no when watching calories) Am I wrong to think it is ok now to have these treats? I had to find snacks....I am a snacker when hungry. I love a crunchy snack, not in the form of veggies, and haven't found my salty crunchy snack yet.

TX_Clint

Make sure you have fat in that low carb meal. It's important and will help cure the hungers. For salty crunchy snacks I go with roasted, salted pecans and if they aren't available I go to almonds, brazil nuts etc.. There are also Chicharrones, pork skins.

samuraiguy

Let your BG meter and weight scale be your guide to how much you can eat of certain snacks. As long as you are meeting BG and weight loss goals go ahead and indulge to satisfy yourself.

Bar&In

With time the hunger will go away and you'll think to yourself how did I used to eat every 2-3 hours. I now spread my meals out about 4 hours but could go well longer without feeling hungry. Refraining from carbs actually makes you want them less with time.

Kittyluvr400

I had 1/4 lb of ham with a big lettuce salad, and since it is fat that I am looking for, I add extra salad dressing (another no no for watching calories) and I had a 98 bg 2 hours later. This LCHF diet does have its perks, especially when I used to go the opposite when watching calories. I actually bought regular dressing...not lite dressing. Time will tell if it halts my weight loss. But for now, I'm having fun with it.

meyery2k

Kitty - I don't like to be hungry like anyone else.  I have variation but this is a typical day for me...

Bkfst - Bacon, sausage , or some meat, 2 eggs, 28g cheese, daikon, cauliflower, or zucchini, and 240g almond milk.  Eggs cooked in butter.  Daikon in olive or cocnut oil.

Lunch (my "big meal") - Meat or tofu, vegetable, salad with dressing, pork rinds or nuts.  Sometimes I will have LC ice cream.

Dinner - Salad with small amount of protein (usually 28g of salami), cheese, dressing, nuts, sometimes a few pork rinds.

I do not adhere to this particularly strictly now but it is still my typical meal plan.  It comes out to about 1500 calories a day.  30-40g carbs.

I have lost 79 pounds since January.  I have about 15 more pounds to lose.  I now seem to be pretty stable as far as weight and I have been stuck around 230 for several weeks.  I am not going to stress it.  If I lose 15, great!  If not, I am happy with the progress I have made. 

The doctor has said that losing the extra 15 would be "nice" but I am already seeing the better health benefits from the job that has been done so far.

It is fun to shut down the LC negative nancys that say you can't lose weight eating like that.  I show them an old picture and say I lost 80 pounds eating bacon and eggs.  They then change tactics and harp about cholesterol.  I just do what I find works for me.

Good luck and let us know how it goes! ~ Mike

meyery2k

I always enjoy how these posts will help me to "reset"...

My neighbor gave me some beautiful avocados.  One of them has become perfectly ripe and became breakfast.

I mashed it up with a little lemon juice, salt, pepper, and garlic.  I topped with sour cream and sriracha.  I measured out a serving of pork rinds for a chips and guacamole type thing.

I contemplated scrambling eggs and cheese and then, with this post in mind, decided to just eat the avocado and rinds.  If I was still hungry, I could make eggs.

I poured a serving of almond milk and seasoned it to my taste.

I finished my avocado and rinds and was still a wee bit hungry.  The almond milk fixed that.  Breakfast was 450 calories and this will keep me going until 1PM which is my usual lunch time.

If I had made eggs, I would have ate them happily but I didn't really need them.  It amazes me, still, how small an amount of food will satisfy hunger when done right. 

One other tip - Get a scale and measure servings.  My ounce, for example, is much heavier than a "real" ounce.

Kit

You do get used to smaller portions after a while.  Fat is a dense nutrient.  More calories in a smaller volume.  I eat the majority of my meals off 8.5" plates now.  Much less likely to overfill that way.  And I find that if I eat more, I usually feel over full and uncomfortable.

miketurco

I'm not one to lead by example when it comes to eating less and weight loss. I've struggled all my life and continue to do so. Here is a suggestion, though, that might be helpful: don't take things a day at a time. Take things a few hours at a time. It's easier. I call it The FIve Hour Diet. After I eat, I wait five hours to eat again. Some people have to eat every four hours, or certain times of the day, or they get a liver dump. So you have to experiment to see what works for you.

You might also want to think about Nighttime Eating Syndrome, NES, which is an eating disorder. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_eating_syndrome

Final tip, look up Fat Bombs on the interweb.

Hope you find this helpful. 

carfree

I have a very hard time not eating in the evening. It's hard to go to bed hungry. I haven't completely figured it out, but the above advice of watching your meter and scale, will give you good feedback.

Salty crunchy treats are a big craving for me too. Seeds, seaweed snacks, zucchini chips, and celery with nut butter work.

Kit

Oh, for salty crunchy treats . . .  CHEESE CRACKERS!!!!

All you need is some cheese, parchment paper, and a microwave.  Cut a square of parchment paper that fits in your microwave.  Put little piled of shredded cheese (or slicers) on the parchment paper.  make sure there is enough room between piles for them to spread.  Then nuke for about 1 minute.  Exactly how long will depend on your microwave.  The crackers are done once the cheese starts to brown a little.  They will still be a little pliable when hot but turn all crispy and cheesy and salty (depending on type of cheese).

Best to use harder cheeses.  My all tme favorite is parmesan, followed by swiss, pepper jack and cheddar.  You can also sprinkle various seasonings onto the cheese piles (or toss the shredded cheese with the seasonings before making the piles).  I adore paprika with the swiss, chipotle with the cheddar, and pepperjack all by itself.  :)

Better than just about any chip out there.  They do pack a protein punch though so I try to limit them to reasonable amounts.

Orlando

Hunger pangs , dont forget to give some thought to drinking, coffee, tea or herbal tea [mentha, ginger, hibiscus etc] to fend off the hunger.

Fraser

I have traveled more lately which means eating out and at friends homes. I did not have any issues controlling carb intake, I was amazed how salty everything was. When I got home I was craving salty treats, and seemed I always had a salty taste in my mouth.

Funny because I cook my own food, rarely add salt, never buy much of anythin processed or than some meats. My treats is when I am hungry is canned artichoke hearts ( some salt) or an avacado.

So I am back to normal eating a lower salt diet, and my salt cravings are gone. Yea!

jwags

I eat smaller meals but have to eat more often to stay full. I have a hard time eating a salad with protein and not getting hungry. I would try to make some LC muffins, breads or cookies to tide you over.

Kittyluvr400

Well.....I treated myself to Turkish Pistachios. If you have not tasted Turkish pistachios, you must. Expensive, yes, but incredible. I found my salty snack. I definitely want to try those cheese crackers. I love when cheese browns and becomes crunchy. I unfortunately must get rid of the Breyers Carb Smart...I like ice cream too much, not good having it in the house. I have found a hard boiled egg with two slices of bacon is a tasty filling snack. I am definitely a nighttime snacker. Has always been my biggest weight issue. I chose fruit for that, and that's out. I do have a few bites of fruit in the morning lately. It's sooooo hot and I crave the refreshing cantaloupe. Maybe a cups worth. It'll be out of season soon.

meyery2k

Kitty - If you have Safeway in your neighborhood, they make a low carb ice cream that is only 4g net carbs per serving.  The butter pecan is a really good flavor.  Vanilla is ok but the consistency is not the same as the butter pecan.

My own plan is that I do watch calories but if I don't overindulge too badly in the calories I still lose some weight, just not as rapidly.

What seems to get me is if I eat too much meat or have a few too many carbs.  I have no real empirical data but it appears that when I keep my BG under good control the weight will either be stable or drop slowly. 

If I spike then I seem to pay for that with a couple extra pounds for a few days.

Not sure if the extra insulin in the system to clear the glucose plays a role or not but the lower my carb intake the easier it is to control my weight.

Fruit - Make sure to eat to your meter.  I have found that I can eat enough cantaloupe to satisfy and not really have a negative effect on my glucose.  As you learn how your diabetes works, you might be surprised at what you can and cannot safely eat.

miketurco

Controlling my sugar and carbs goes a long way towards me not feeling really hungry all the time. From time-to-time I do the Atkins Fat Fast (you can look that up). It's three days of very low carb, high fat eating. It's kind of a diet reset.

What matters to me in the end are the numbers. Weight, blood sugar and blood pressure.

Kittyluvr400

I have too much to learn. Big sigh...

Thanks to all of you. I have got to check out the threads here regarding snacking ideas. I only eat twice a day. My lunch is actually my breakfast, and dinner is 4 hours later. By 9pm I am snacking. I must find what works for my kind of schedule.

Tonibaby

I am a snacker too. My favorites are pork rinds dipped in ranch dip made with sour cream, peanut butter and celery sticks and for something sweet I have sf jello with heavy whipping cream. I want to try the fat bombs but haven't had the money to buy coconut oil yet.

meyery2k

Toni - My daughter and I experiment with the fat bombs.  Even though she is not diabetic she prefers them to store bought candy!

We have used whipping cream or butter in place of the coconut oil and have had fantastic results.  We find the same ration of 1 Tbsp. fat to 1 Tbsp of cocoa works well and then season to taste.  I find the smallest pinch of salt and a little vanilla really brings out the cocoa flavor.

One time we even crumbled in some pork rinds and made a type of Kit-Kat.

The bombs seem to be a recipe that can tolerate a lot of experimentation and still turn out good.

Kittyluvr400

My favorite end to the evening is a sugar free pudding cup with lots of cool whip. If lucky, I have sf cool whip. I can't always find it in sugar free. It's a chocolate cream pie...without the pie.

I do have the Breyers Carb Smart with 4 g of sugar.

If actually hungry...a hard boiled egg, 2 ham and Swiss roll ups and a heaping tsp of peanut butter. THAT is a sure thing to take care of the hunger.

Now I have my salty pistachios for salty crunch, if needed. 1/2 cup in the shell.

TX_Clint

Mmm... well Kitty, 1/2 cup of pistachios is 17 carbs and the Pudding is around 10 carbs. I'll stick to the low carb nuts like pecans, brazil, or macadamia nuts for a carb count of 7, 8, or 9 for 1/2 cup and keep the serving size down. Or chicharrones for my salty treats.

Kittyluvr400

1/2 cup of pistachios in the shell? Once the shell is removed...maybe 1/4 cup?

Sugar free pudding? Been making my own with fat free milk. But I will switch to sugar free cups. Mom threw out the nutrition label. 10 carbs?!

You are bursting my bubble big time.

I do love macadamias.

I just made egg salad, and tuna salad. Couple of spoons of each makes me a very happy person. Add a couple of slices of bacon with that egg salad and it becomes an awesome snack. Are you going to burst my bubble again about the salads? LOL

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.