Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kittyluvr400

Hungry

Kittyluvr400

I'm bummed. So there is starch in my pudding? Yes, I looked it up. LOL

I do love any and all kinds of nuts.

I can do away with the pudding, but need a sweet....just being realistic. Hoping the Breyers Carb Smart will take care of that. Maybe a sugar free chocolate syrup? Will check on that.

Anyone want to bum me out about homemade tuna salad? Egg salad?

You're killing me.

Kittyluvr400

I will keep a log of all the foods I eat....followed by an hour bg read and then 2 hr read. I know everyone is different. Thanks.

TX_Clint

I didn't mean to be a party pooper but I thought I should warn you. There is also a good fudge or chocolate covered ice cream bar that's only 3 net carbs made by Lucerne. A Tom Thumb/ Randals brand. I like these because it controls my portion size. I also like the Carb Smart vanilla ice cream in a diet root beer. But only one scoop please.

Tonibaby

I'm bummed. So there is starch in my pudding? Yes, I looked it up. LOL

I do love any and all kinds of nuts.

I can do away with the pudding, but need a sweet....just being realistic. Hoping the Breyers Carb Smart will take care of that. Maybe a sugar free chocolate syrup? Will check on that.

Anyone want to bum me out about homemade tuna salad? Egg salad?

You're killing me.

How about some swiss miss mousse to replace your chocolate pudding:

SWISS MISS MOUSSE 

1 cup heavy cream 

2 packets diet Swiss Miss hot cocoa mix

Put the cream in a deep medium size mixing bowl. Gently stir in the cocoa mix. Beat with an electric mixer until thick.

Makes 4 servings 

Do not freeze

Per Serving: 218 Calories; 22g Fat; 2g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs

and as long as your tuna/egg salad doesn't contain sweet pickles or relish you should be good to go there unless you eat it on bread or crackers, lol!

Kit

I've made that recipe before.  Its not bad for something that comes out of a mix and takes no time at all to make.  :D

Tonibaby

yes, it sounds good, think i will try it myself. i have tons of saved recipes from pinterest and the web to still try :)

Kittyluvr400

The mousse has major possibilities. Definitely worth a try. TY

All party pooping is.....welcome.

Must face the facts.

Good thing I'm not fond of relish or pickles. I like the salads just the way they are, no crackers.

I feel like I am not taking this seriously enough. I'm following my mom's way...just bordering on trying. Very 'whatever' attitude. Working on trying harder and taking it more seriously. I feel like if millions have it, what's the big deal? SMH.

meyery2k

Kitty - You are here and you are asking for advice.  I think that is more than "trying".  It takes some time to establish your new lifestyle.  It took me some time.  I remember thinking how I could eat things I love and prove diabetes wrong.  Somehow I would be different.

Once I adopted the idea that I had to make some changes it was a little easier.

I think you are doing a great job.  Taking an interest in what advice is offered shows that you are truly interested in managing this and, I believe, you will have a successful outcome.

Weezy

My go-to when I just have to have a dessert:

We have one of those things that makes whipped cream using those tiny gas canisters (they have them at kitchen stores and Costco and are WELL worth the price).  I make some barely sweetened whipped cream (started out making it really sweet, now I don't want it sweet) and you can use your sweetener of choice.  We usually have a container in the fridge especially during the summer because I like a blop of whipped cream in my iced mocha (a summertime treat!).

Put some whipped cream in a bowl, put a spoonful of unsweetened cocoa powder on it and mix in.  Fast, easy, and actually quite good!  When I was having a lot of cravings, I even put the cocoa into the container and had chocolate whipped cream!  Yes, it's really good and goes great in coffee!

It's funny....I still crave sweets and have a real sweet tooth, but over the past years of HFLC, I actually don't like things very sweet anymore.  Now I'll make an iced mocha with 100% dark chocolate (and heavy cream) and not add any sweeter at all because I enjoy the bitterness of the chocolate in the coffee.  Same with the chocolate whipped cream.

And remember that you can make your own ice cream!  Those little containers are a great single serving and ice cream is amazingly easy to make...and you can control the sweetness.  Lots of low carb recipes out there.

Heavy cream is a wonderful thing!  That was one thing I gladly adopted when I went low carb...no more yucky skim or 2% milk in my coffee--heavy cream!  It's quite low in carbs (especially compared to milk) and for those of us who do dairy, it's a marvelous thing.

Here are some of my favorite things about eating low carb--things I craved before but couldn't because of the "fat is bad!" nonsense (when all the time it was the sugar for me.....):

Butter....real, lovely, marvelous butter

Heavy cream....so versatile

Bacon!  What more needs to be said?

Avocados...and I used to feel guilty eating these?

Real cheeses....omg.....there are so many incredible cheese out there...like triple cream brie.....

Pork steaks....those lovely fatty shoulder cuts fried in butter...and to think I thought they were bad for me....

Macadamias.....a little bit of heaven that you can hold in your hand (and the lowest carb of all the nuts I think)

Olives!  Who knew there were so many different types? And they're all delicious. 

Adapting to low carb is a process as others have said.  It takes time for your body to adjust and for your brain to adjust.  I was amazed and appalled when I started reading labels and discovered how many carbs are in things!  Over time, we quit buying any prepared foods at all and gradually started making more and more at home.  It didn't happen overnight, but it did happen.  And we've discovered that living a low carb lifestyle is fine!  I go out with friends and just make wise menu choices....same thing at parties (although I'll often either take my own stuff or choose to not eat at a party).  And on the occasions when I slip, I pick myself up and start again and try not to beat myself up for it.

I decided that living HFLC was a better alternative for me than living and dying like my dad did....and he followed doctor's advice to the letter and was dead less than 10 years after diagnosis and died missing both legs after multiple amputations.  It's my choice and I make that choice every day, and so far I'm beating the family odds with no heart problems yet and no diabetic issues.  

You're are the beginning of your journey, Kittyluvr.....and you'll have ups and downs and wander around.....pretty much all of us have done that at one time or another.  Be kind to yourself as you learn, but don't be discouraged!  Life can be very good without breads, crackers, snacks, etc. etc. etc. (and I'm a bread addict in addition to a sweet tooth!).  You'll feel better and feel in control of your diabetes instead of having it control you.   It's a very nice life!

meyery2k

Weezy - Thank you for a wonderful posting.  What a motivating post.  I know a few Debbie Downers that knock my way of eating but they become real quiet when I bust out of a photo from January.

Then I get the cholesterol and heart thing.  It may or may not be true, but I can honestly say, I eat much more satisfying meals than before.  I have had to learn to prepare food and I love the discovery.

This morning, I spurged a little and had 3 scrambled eggs with a little half and half beaten in, I scrambled in some bacon, mushrooms, and pepper jack cheese.  Much better than anything I could have gotten from a fast food place!  Didn't worry a bit about the fat and only 5g carbs :)

Macadamia nuts are wonderful indeed!  They have often been the main protein in a salad for me.  I also use sliver them and top fish with them when broiling or baking.

meyery2k

Weezy - Thank you for a wonderful posting.  What a motivating post.  I know a few Debbie Downers that knock my way of eating but they become real quiet when I bust out of a photo from January.

Then I get the cholesterol and heart thing.  It may or may not be true, but I can honestly say, I eat much more satisfying meals than before.  I have had to learn to prepare food and I love the discovery.  I believe, at the least, I will get to keep my feet.  I have this OCD thing about taking care of my feet and, when I learned I had diabetes, that was a primary motivation.  I too have seen family lose feet to diabetes and it always freaked me out.

This morning, I spurged a little and had 3 scrambled eggs with a little half and half beaten in, I scrambled in some bacon, mushrooms, and pepper jack cheese.  Sauteed the mushrooms in the bacon grease and then placed the eggs and cheese in there.  Much better than anything I could have gotten from a fast food place!  Didn't worry a bit about the fat and only 5g carbs :)

Macadamia nuts are wonderful indeed!  They have often been the main protein in a salad for me.  I also use sliver them and top fish with them when broiling or baking.

Kittyluvr400

I put a call in to my endo for refils with the test strips and lancets. He wants me to check with my meter one day a week. That's it. He left me one refil, which is not ready to be filled. I won't see him for two more months, but he only refilled what he figured I would use if done once a week.

I am waiting for him to call me and I expect a hard time. I may have to drop him, especially since he doesn't take my insurance and I did find an office full of Drs who do, and not much further away than he is. It's crazy that I feel awkward telling him I am going to start all over with someone else...but the insurance issue is a valid reason, IMO. I don't like him and the way he thinks. Sigh. Why do I have to feel almost scared to 'fire him'?

miketurco

If you're not taking insulin, insurance will only pay for one strip a day. You can get a RelyOn Prime meter at walmart for $16. Strips are $9/100. I've been using that meter for a few years and have never had a problem with it. (Other than batteries, the meter getting old and banged up, etc.) I do personally recommend that meter.

Kit

That's not true.  At least my insurance will, if the doctor writes the prescription properly.

I got tired of arguing about strips however and just went and bought a ReliOn Prime.  $9 for 50 strips and I don't have to have arguments with anyone to get them.  Cheaper than my co-pays.  :)

Don't feel embarrassed about firing your doctor.  You employ him, its not the other way around.  Plus the whole insurance thing is a very legitimate reason that won't cause any "hurt feelings".

However, don't get your hopes up too high on another doctor.  Your endo's view is quite common out there.  I think of it as my doctor is there to order labs, write prescriptions, and help point out any potential issues from the labs results (and even with that they don't always do that great of job).  The rest of it is up to me.

Kittyluvr400

I will be prepared for new Drs to give me the same one strip a day, if that is the way it is. I don't care for him, been seeing him too long, and he does not take my insurance. I did find an office nearby and will make an appointment.

I did fire him. He told me that my insurance would not pay for more refils unless he specifies that I need more strips, and he refused to do it. Basically, I am rid of him. He didn't even bring up my bg until I told him he should take a look. He saw me put on 10 lbs a year over 14 years and never said a thing. When I brought it up to him during my last visit, he looked at the chart and commented about my weight. He doesn't tell me to do this or that, no diet, no exercise (he really did tell me exercise was not necessary)...didn't say anything except "you have put on a lot of weight, you need weight loss surgery".

Ok, I am starting to vent. Taking a breath.

I will check Walmart for the inexpensive brand and buy it myself for the testing that I, personally, want to do on the side. If I find it easily, THANK YOU for alerting me to it. :-)

miketurco

Please keep the group informed on your adventure in finding a good doctor! You might have to go through a few. It takes time.

I look at doctors as consultants who can write prescriptions and recommend tests.

Weezy

What Mike said!

I quickly discovered that in a short time I had learned more about how to control my diabetes than my GP knew.  So I went in search of someone who would work with me (after one truly disastrous endo appointment and a couple of moderately bad endos).  I ended up going to a naturopath that I had seen off and on for years--she can prescribe strips, metformin, etc. and she trusts me to know what I'm doing!  Appointments with her are pleasant and she says that she's learned a lot from me (I turned her on to HFLC and then intermittent fasting, among other things).  She prescribes as many strips as I want (4x day) and the insurance company has never even questioned it.

The WalMart meters and strips are the cheapest, and I know that some people buy strips from ebay and Amazon (check the expiration dates!).  

We really are our own best advocates and knowledge is power!

Kittyluvr400

I do agree that endos are really there for tests and scripts. I don't expect anymore than that. I can only hope they'll let me test however often I want. This is new for me. I have no clue what's foods do what to me. It's important. I see the ReLion at Walmart and will order it. I hate shopping IN Walmart...easier to order what I need online. I'll use them for my own testing. I'm not even sure what I paid for the Accucheck Nano. I have no idea what the strips and lancets cost me...it may be cheaper to use the ReLion.

Appt with new endo Dec 19. All I ask is that I like them. That's good enough for me. Taking my insurance isn't all that bad either.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.