Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

notme

Medtronic 630g

notme

It is a nice feature. I know they are supposed to come out with their closed loop system next year. I just figure I will stick with this new pump for awhile and let all the bugs shake out of closed loop before I go there.

Don't know what the right decision is here.....seems odd they are doing this short intrim pump. S

notme

The CGMS is upgraded. 90 degree insertion instead of angled. I like that. The meter is also a remote for blousing the meter. Louder alarms, waterproof to 12ft. Right now only in black. AA battery instead if AAA. Makes the pump a little bigger. Integrated clip.

I wish I knew when the closed loop system was coming out. They have been testing it for two years.

notme

Well, United Healthcare just approved my new 630g and CGMS. I was told that it should be released in a few weeks and I should expect to wait 5-8 weeks. Because it is a new platform they require training once again.

Anyone else going to give it a try?

notme

I got mine today. I don't have training scheduled yet. No doubt I could do this myself.

Here is a side by side comparison. I did not get the CGMS yet.

f9db38c500a5a26d1f39c99e83febc09_zpsxd0j

01f07ef7f580ddba7a9dbf954e528ae2_zpset4c

6dc24b6e4647aed075c3ed1b2ead01cf_zpsiewd

The pump is a tiny bit bigger. The battery is AA instead of AAA. The new pump is a bit thicker but it will be offset because the clip attaches to a groove on the back of the pump rather than a clamp around the pump.

So......here we go. I hope I love it. I can't wait to get your review AnCapMan.

AnCapMan

Mine looks exactly the same lol. Except they shipped me a skin and a silicon cover. It seems easy to use. It is my first pump.

I will be getting mine set up on Monday AM at my training. I will likely NOT have my CGM prior to Monday but I took all the online trainings for how to insert and connect to pump. So I will just ask for what numbers I should set for trending alarms etc.

They sent me Sure T and I do not want metal needles in me for days so I called and they are overnighting me the quick-sets and quick-serter.

I also got the connected Blood glucometer for calibration, and bolus. I was already using the same strips so this will be not a big change for me.

The belt clip feels a little weak. I can see myself placing this in a pocket often to make sure it doesn't come off my belt

notme

I also got skins and silicon cover. Must be part of the deal. I use Mio sets and love them. I had an issue with the small quicksets bending on me so I went with the Mio that has the inserter with each set.

I agree that the belt clip feels cheap. I have a feeling I will break a few. The clip for the paradigm is much sturdier and I have broken several of those also. I may order a few for backup. I will never be able to fit my pump in a pocket. Women's pants are tighter.

I don't have a training date yet. Hopefully that will happen soon or I will just set it up myself.

Pumps are pretty easy to set up, but I would definitely suggest you go for CGMS training. There are lots of little nuances that are important.

AnCapMan

Well I've been wearing the pump since Monday Morning.

So far it's been SOOOOOOOO much better than injections.

Im definitely using less insulin. Before I was taking 75U of novolog 70/30 (35am, 5 lunch and 35 dinner)+ 10-15 units of R for coverage and correction. I now use about 60U for basal and Bolus.

Still dialing in my basals. I think I need a bit more here and there.

My last A1c was 8.7. Today my average is 125. And as I get the basal and Bolus dialed in, I am hoping to get that down to 100.

The hardest part has been figuring out how to cover protein with the dual wave. As I learn that more I will get better control.

Before pump I was usually 200-230 in the morning. I have brought that down to 120-130s now. I have had 0 lows and I used to have 5-8 a week.

And I will be upgrading to the 670g this spring for free! Gotta love the control of the pump.

notme

They told you they will have the 670g by Spring? I hope that is true. That is the pump I have been waiting for! Usually, they never whisper a word about what is coming next.

William V

News today says it is now an approved device. Expected release is spring 2017 for USA. Rest o world summer 2017. Medtronic indicated the delay is typical for new product such as production, staff, reps, service dept, training. Etc.

meyery2k

Please take this as the tongue in cheek as I am offering it but if there is anything "cool" about diabetes, this CGM pump is.  I love the retro 80's look of the device.

On a serious note, I hope it delivers the promise it would appear to offer.

AnCapMan

Time will tell. Obviously to get it to pass FDA they had to set higher target BGs than I would like.

It can adjust basal rates automatically, and can suspend on a predicted low. What it cannot do is any Bolus either correction or coverage. I would guess for those features to get approved we would need ultra rapid insulin... and for the final step stable liquid glucagon.

I would bet in 2-3 years we will see the ultra rapid insulins followed by the stage 5 pump that can do basal, and Bolus.

Who knows when we will figure out stable liquid glucagon. It is a tough molecule to make stable in infusable form.

notme

I contacted Medtronic and want a 100% guarantee that they will upgrade me to the new 670g when it arrives this Spring. My training is Tuesday but I will cancel it if I need to if I don't get written word from the guy that sold me this pump that I will be upgraded to the closed loop system.

I feel like we were misled on the purchase of this pump as it really was just an interim pump. I have waited this long with my old pump so I will wait a little longer if they make me pay for the pathway to the new pump.

notme

Whew, got my answer before my training which is actually today!!!

Hi Nancy,

I can honestly tell you that I was very surprised last week to hear that the 670G had been approved, as were many others here. It is quite unprecedented to get FDA approval for one of our systems so soon. We know a lot of our patients feel the same way you do which is why we’re making sure you’re taken care of. Our Priority Access program (http://www.medtronicdiabetes.com/products/priority-access#details) will allow you to be first in line for the new system. You’ll be able to upgrade with zero cost to you and won’t have to worry about meeting your deductible at the beginning of the year. Training on the 630G system will get you ready for the 670G. The pump has all the same features except for the auto-mode which helps to regulate your basal rates and an even more accurate CGM. In the meantime you can still benefit from all that the 630G has to offer, making the transition to the new system even easier.

notme

So I thought I would update after a couple of weeks wearing this new pump. I am not sure many are interested but, I think for the few people who wear pumps it may give some insight to this new platform.

First I must say that the pump is very intuitive. It is easy to figure out how to do things like rewind, setting bolus and basal rates, and very cool features I haven't seen before like having the pump pause basal rates when blood sugar dives. I do need to figure out when it decides to restart and see if that is programable because my blood sugar soared after a pause.

This pump requires your attention. It is definitely more labor intensive when it comes to button pushes and reading the screen. It yells at me for everything. It wants to be calibrated four times a day and lord help you if you forget before bedtime. It beeps and buzzes until you get up to calibrate. Of course that is changable but, I need someone to yell at me right now so I am leaving my nagging pump alone.

The sensors are very much more comfortable than the first Medtronic sensors. I am allergic to the over tape they send with the sensors. My skin turns bloody red after two days. I have had to find a different way to tape the sensors down. I have to say I don't like the shape of the sensor. It is shaped like a large tick. The mouth part if the tick needs to be taped down and then the butt of the tick gets caught on everything unless you tape that down too. They need a better shape. This one is annoying. The sensors initially are not too accurate. Within a day the accuracy improves dramatically and the tick can be worn for six days as promised. That did not happen with my old sensors. They also charge very quickly. So all in all, I think for me the system is working pretty well. I hope with the 670g the sensors are more accurate from the get go or, I can see some nasty highs and lows in my future.

The pump clip is not great. It seemed cheesy when I got it and still seems kind of cheap. But the old clips were hard to get off so there is really a fine line. I do like the fact you can use the clip to change the battery. Good thinking. The battery in the pump is only lasting two weeks. Annoying. This pump uses energizer AA battery instead of the AAA.

The meter for the pump is pretty much like your old meter. It is the Bayer meter that connects with the pump. You do need a new one which Medtronic / Bayer supplies. The biggest plus is the meter also is a remote for the pump. Great thinking!!!!

The screen is much easier to read. It is color and larger. Finally, we are rid of the DOS screens of yesterday. I love the graph showing me where my blood sugar has been and where it is going. They also have an arrow clue to tell you how fast your blood sugar is climbing or lowering. If there is three arrows pointing up or down you are in for big changes. One arrow means your are on the move and two arrows means a steady pace in one direction or the other. The key here is to have no arrows and a steady straight line in the normal range. The arrows mean a slow or fast roller coaster ride .

The first screen not only tells you your blood sugar, it shows the graph, it tells you the active insulin and gives you little icons for battery life, how much insulin is in the reservoir, if you are connected to your sensor and how many days your sensor has left.

All in all, I like the new pump. I needed a butt kicking and this pump, even though it is small, kicks some major butt compared to its predecessor.

meyery2k

Nancy - What a great review!  While I have no need for a pump, this will be helpful information for those that are looking into this.

This demonstrates perfectly why I think DF is the best.  Real people with real posts...

Gosh!  Looking at your signature I see you were diagnosed 30 years ago this month!  What an inspiration to those of us who worry about life with diabetes.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.