Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Magenta Orchid

prandin

Magenta Orchid

Prandin works well. I take 1 or 2 2mg will each meal. Have u had any ill effects with it?

miketurco

Hadn't heard of it but looked it up. It's similar to a "sulf" (like glipizide) in that it makes your pancreas pump out more insulin. I was taking glipizide and didn't like it. Kind of unpredictable and didn't do a good regulating my sugar. 

Welcome aboard, by the way. I see this is your first post. Great group here.

Hammer

Years ago, I took Prandin, and like all of the other oral diabetes medications, it upset my stomach, so I stopped taking it.  The only thing that I am able to use to control my diabetes, is insulin, because insulin doesn't upset my stomach, and insulin, at least for me, controls my type 2 diabetes better than any oral meds can....if I were able to take any oral meds.

Papa Diva

I have taken Prandin for 3-4 years. It is very good and I have not had any issues with it. I take it on an as-needed basis when I am going to eat something carby to give me a boost. I'll also use it if my BG is higher than I want it to be and to get it to drop. 2mg will drop me between 30-50 points after lunch or dinner. I used to use it in the morning to combat DP, but I switched to an insulin bolus (Humolog) to get better control and give my pancreas a break during the hard DP battle.

For those that don't know what Prandin is, it's a meglitinide which is new generation insulin stimulator. It's very different than Sulfonylureas like glipizide. I like Prandin because 1) it's short acting, so it only works for 2-3 hours, and 2) it's smart and only works if your BG is higher, and stops insulin secretion when you get close to normal, so it's unlikely to take you too low. There are two meglitinides - Prandin and Starlix. I tried Starlix first and it did not work very well. Prandin is very good. You can get 1, 2 or 4 mg I believe. You can take up to 16 mg a day.

Prandin is great for people that need a boost of natural insulin (assuming you still make insulin) to handle moderate carbs or liver dump highs. It is less likely to burn out your pancreas like Sulfonylureas can. But you must still have enough natural insulin production for it to work. I believe that it is very useful if your problem is an insulin and glucose signaling issue, which is a big part of my challenge.

miketurco

For the life of me I can't find them, but I remember seeing studies regarding natural insulin vs. injected. There's a correlation between heart disease and the amount of insulin the body produces, but not so for injected. I had a pep-c and the results were that I my panc was kicking out insulin at a rate 3x higher than normal; this worried me a bit.

There's also what is possibly an old wive's tale about glipizide "beating the pancreas" to make more insulin, thereby reducing the bod's ability to make insulin for the long run. I can't any reference to that, either. So... batting zero here on the studies, but I believe these are both valid concerns. 

I thought this applicable to the discussion of using Prandin. My personal choice for BG control is insulin/metformin only. Gd willing that continues to work.

miketurco

Diabetic Dawn Phenomenon -- one of the primary reasons diabetics wake up with high bg's. It's similar to an adrenaline response, except it's sugar from the liver instead of adrenaline from the adrenal glands. 

Hammer

Well, actually, DP is Dawn Phenomenon....when your liver releases extra glucose to give you the energy to get up in the morning.

As for Prandin, ANY oral diabetes meds that force your pancreas to produce more insulin will eventually wear our your pancreas.  Oh, and yes, if your pancreas is releasing a lot of insulin, that can cause CVD (cardio-vascular disease), whereas injected insulin doesn't.  They don't know why injected insulin doesn't cause cardio-vascular disease, like your own pancreas insulin causes, but they have found that it's better to use injected insulin, rather than to force your body to over produce it's own insulin.

Papa Diva

In my case I believe that my particular problem is caused by a signaling issue. That is, my body does not properly signal the pancreas to release insulin for some reason. Prandin, being very short acting, helps "stimulate" the release of insulin without putting the pancreas into overdrive for hours on end. I am not sur I would agree that it forces the pancreas to produce insulin, but even if it does, it's for a lot shorter duration than a Sulfonylurea.

I believe that using Prandin has improved my overall insulin response in general and I do not need it as much now. Since using Humalog in the morning to combat DP issues, things have gotten even better and I seem to have balanced things out and gotten my signaling to work better. I was also able to break through years of false hypos that kept my baseline BG levels higher.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.