Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dznypal

how do you eat to your meter

Dznypal

Ive been DXed as in the pre (gray area) so I try to "eat to the meter"

but how does one eat to the meter--when you eat a certain food and it gives you ok #S not terrible you have the same thing

several times in a month all with ok #S

then all at once you have it again and the # goes through the roof

heres what exactly happened --I was coming down with a UTI I got an app for the afternoon---meanwhile we took my mom out to breakfast--I had a Belgain waffle which Ive had several times with no big issues

so when I get to my app its only 30 minutes after eating--and # is sky high and theres sugar in the sample plus the infection

so if I tested before and a waffle is ok to eat then why a month later is it not-so even if you get ok #s you still cant eat the same foods

the PA wanted me to see my primary dr--for a follow up which I couldnt see why I knew what she was to say--so I just messaged her--she want to another A1C just had one in June and it was 5.9 which youd think Id be happy about--but no now its supposed to be 5.6!!! so I still have a big red H by this one

but this was on Monday today is Thursday---how long is that blood sample good for--and how long do keep old blood

please any advice or tips--I am literally back to square1 paranoid to eat

thanks all

Fraser

Unfortunately I did not understand all your short hand terms,

But an infection alone can raise your blood sugar with or without the waffle.

There can always be variables, and every meter reading is not going to match the last one, it is the trend that is important.

Kit

There are so many things that may have affected that one reading.

1)  You have always been hitting that high with a waffle, but didn't test soon enough to catch it before.

2)  Your body is starting to struggle more and more with a higher carb load and is starting to not be able to cope as well.

3)  There were other factors involved at that moment which helped raise your blood sugar and it wasn't just the waffle that caused he effect.  Quite possibly the UTI.  What was your pre like?

Personally, I would try it again at some point after the infections has cleared up to see what happens.  Make sure you test at multiple post times as well as the pre so you can get a clear picture on what is happening.

OldTech

I have accepted that I am carb intolerant and use 'eat to my meter' to tell me what foods or portions that I can safely eat. I do not try to see how many carbs I can consume. I know that this can be hard to do but if a food contains more than 3-5  g of carbs per serving I do not even try to eat it. I'm now just looking for hidden carbs - labels are not always correct or clearly identify sneaky sources - and do not test all the time. I would never dream of even trying a waffle - I already know it contains too many carbs.

Dznypal

just to clarify by pre I mean Im in the pre diabetic range of #s  usually when I get #s done Im between 102-116

as far as last Monday with the waffle --for an example a few yrs ago we went for breakfast before seeing my oncologist for the first time

so once again it was only about an hr before getting pre-admit bloodwork and it was high-- around 217 they didnt say anything then-they knew I was totaling stressed after finding out the day before I had cancer--

so they took it again the next day before I went to surgery and it was down to 137    they figured it was from all the stress--I was also to pick anything off the menu to eat in the hospital no restrictions

so Im hoping this time it was from the stress of finding out this off the wall # and battleing an infection

just thinking now I had an UTI back in OCt I had supper the day before but nothing the next morning since by this time my throat was sore--I knew I also had strep throat besides--but with nothing to eat for over 12  hrs there was no sugar in the "P"

oh well Ill find out just after midnight when the results are on the website

thanks for hearing me out--I tend to ramble when I get upset

but honestly I still cant figure out how you eat to your meter when a few times its fine and then its not-can you or cant you eat that food

again thanks for listening and the advice--I really appreciate it

Kit

That's the reason you do indeed eat to your meter.  I still spot check my meals even if I don't test before and after every one anymore.  An abnormal reading means that I will check a little more often and that I will double check that meal and some others.  If it turns out to have been a fluke, then I will know.  If its still bad with that particular meal but not others, then I know something has changed and I can't do it anymore.  If all meals are higher than normal, then I start looking at other potential causes like sickness, etc.

In all honesty I just can't comprehend how any other way would work.  Even a T1 on insulin has to pay attention to their meter.  Now they may adjust through both diet and medication, but its still the same concept.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.