Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BVick56

24 yr Old Male Type 1 having loss of motivation and feeling constantly tired

BVick56

Hey everyone im new to this i usually look to solve the problem on my own but im having a hard time getting the motivation or even having the energy to get to my laptop which i finally did. 

So it started about 5 months ago I got into this very weird state, Im a guy who goes to the gym six days a week is ok with controlling my sugar levels and have no problems. But suddenly out of no where I have no energy i sleep until noon or one o'clock it takes me forever to actually get going. I've been in contact with my Doctor my A1C is 8.7 so im just trying to get some hints or help on what i can do to get my motivation and energy back. 

dowling gram

Have your doctor check your thyroid. Many times that kind of tiredness is because of thyroid problems. When you cut carbs did you also increase your good fats. Glucose is your energy source and if you cut back on carbs you are depleting your energy source. When the body does not have glucose for energy it switches to fat burning for energy. Adding fat to your diet gives your body something to run on.

As for motivation to eat low carb, the biggest motivator is a knowledge of the complications of diabetes if you don't keep your glucose in line. I don't know about you but I'm partial to my legs, fingers, kidneys and eyesight. I also don't want heart problems. Out of control diabetes effects every part of your body. I had a couple of relatives who had severe complications and I kept their photos on my fridge to remind me of what could happen. If you don't have that you could get some graphic photos and put then where you can see them every day.

JohnSchroeder

Is that 8.7 A1C an aberration or about normal for you?  That alone can make you feel tired, irritable and anti-social.  I start to feel a bit off at 170 or higher, and you are averaging about 230 at all times.  Sorry to be nosy, but you say you are okay with controlling your sugar levels.. but its not quite clear what your definition of okay is.  Outside of this last 5 months, what A1Cs do you usually have?

We already know that you've felt this way for 5 months, and an A1C measures the last 3.  So my first guess is that your high sugar levels are making you miserable

First order of business in my mind is to get your sugars in control.  Outside of that, loss of motivation and sleeping all the time is a symptom of depression.

meyery2k

B - You will get great advice here.  I believe a little more information might help with the advice.  What have been your last few A1c tests?  What is your diet like?  How much insulin do you use? ~ Mike

OneEye

This may not be physical...this could be psychological. Anything depressing happen 5 months ago? Saying you sleep until noon or 1 o'clock...and then go to the gym 6 days a week, good chance you still live with mom & dad and have no grown-up responsibilities. That would depress me in itself. So...a GF breakup...something like that? What happened 5 months ago?

ant hill

This disease can bite you if you don't get Control!!!

Having high BG's will make you feel EEK!! Terrible!! If you see above 180 for too long your Zest to do things just crumble. There's no incentive to go out and mingle. I know how you feel.

As for me I have no desire to go out, also Family have their opinions and you have yours, That said Depression is with this disease as the insulin & injections become the normal to you as people around you say eww!! That alone will send you to kick yourself. I am sorry.

Control is to aim at 6/108, don't worry if you cannot keep the target. If you get a low sae 4/72 get some Fast Carbs in you!! Like a OJ would be the best. It's all about Balance

Balance the Three

Food Insulin

Exercise

:) :)

:P

BVick56

My last A1C was 9.4 and that was about the time this all started. and my A1C now is 8.3 so its dropped my doctor felt I was depressed and after getting checked they started me on anti depressants. Also have some creatine showing in my urine so the put me on High Blood Pressure medication to fight that both medications actually cause the issues i was talking about so I have an appointment with my doctor after letting her know about it. sorry about the long response time everyone I work in security and have been ridiculously busy. 

meyery2k

B - That A1c is moving in the right direction.  Good job.  Diabetes sucks but it can be lived with.  I would encourage you to join our community.  There are people here that have lived with this for decades and I don't think you will find better advice than what you will get here.

While there can be other factors causing your lack of energy/motivation, high BG will mess with you mentally.  When I was first Dx'ed my A1c was 8.5.  As I got it under control and felt better I found my energy came back.  I now can't stand to just sit around the house.  I am always finding something to do.

SweetAndBendy

Being constantly high can throw you off pretty good at times even though you think you feel fine at the higher levels, it does affect you more than you'd imagine both physically and emotionally. But at least your A1c is heading in the right direction so that's a start. Have you had your vitamin levels checked? Low vitamin B12 can cause tiredness, as can low vitamin D. Thyroid is another thing, which has already been mentioned. Thyroid issues are oh so common with diabetes. Any imbalance in your body like a deficiency or something can affect both energy and mood and it can easily be mistaken for a depression, then of course it could be depression as well. Living with diabetes isn't easy and sometimes it's just too overwhelming. Depression can also be caused by imbalance and not be affected by your life situation so it can be tricky. 

Another thing is your sleep. Yes, sleeping a lot is one thing, but HOW are you sleeping? Is it good quality sleep or is your sleep disturbed and/or restless? If you don't know, then I can highly suggest getting some sleep analyzing app to your phone if you have a smart phone, there are many free apps out there that can measure your sleep by just starting the app and putting your phone in bed (I usually put it under the pillow) when you go to sleep, the app can tell you how long it takes to fall asleep, how many times you wake up between bedtime and waking up for the day, how deep you sleep and for how long you sleep. It's not 100% of course, but it gives a good hint. It senses your movements and you move differently depending on what sleep stage you're in. 

I find sleep analyzing apps to be pretty helpful even though my situation is a bit different when it comes to movement (paraplegic so turning around is a bit different as I have to manually move my legs, and there may be spasms from time to time) but it does confirm that my body values quality over quantity when it comes to sleep, and that I tend to sleep for a few hours at a time during an 8-10h period rather than sleeping 8h straight. 

clairedavas

Causes for increase blood sugar level in your case may be due to

1 Being inactive

2 Having an illness or infection

3 Experiencing emotional stress, such as family conflict or workplace challenges

Illness or stress can trigger hyperglycemia because hormones produced to combat illness or stress can also cause your blood sugar to rise. Even people who don't have diabetes may develop hyperglycemia during severe illness. But people with diabetes may need to take extra diabetes medication to keep blood glucose near normal during illness or stress.

So check whether you have any infection which not appear outside your body and investigate and treat it. If you are in stress and anxiety , try to get rid of that quickly. Also check your thyroxine level to see whether you have hypothyroidism. if yiou have it take thyroxine and treat it.

And try with multi vitamin and Vitamin E to energy to do your day today activity.

Diabetes is passed that way -- over and down, like a knight in chess

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.