Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

macncheese

Had a scare last night

macncheese

Hello. Just wanted to talk about this experience and get some feedback from fellow diabetics ;)

I'm 34, Type 1.5 diabetic diagnosed 2 years ago, a first time mom, 19 weeks pregnant. I work 12 hour shifts and yesterday was especially busy so I didn't get to eat for the last half of my shift. I take Lantus 28 units at night. My I:C ratio is 1:10.

Anyway, after I got off work last night I was so hungry I bought a burger and fries and scarfed it. Of course I took humalog before I ate. I felt fine but after I'd been home for about an hour I was feeling really full and not so good. I ended up vomiting everything I'd eaten earlier and I felt better but my blood sugar went from 120 to 43 pretty quickly. I quickly realized my insulin was still in my system but with no carbs.

There was no way I could get anything down by mouth. I tried sipping some juice but I threw that up. I started sucking on some hard candies but was afraid it wouldn't work quick enough. I was home alone because my husband works swings so he was still at work. I started getting really scared so I finally grabbed my emergency glucagon and gave myself a shot in the thigh. I did not want to end up in the hospital.

Anyway I just wanted to talk about it and see what you guys think. Did I panic or did I do the right thing? What would you have done? I've tried talking to my friends and family but none of them seem to understand how scary it was for me. I wanted to talk to someone who understands :/ Thanks for reading.

miketurco

You absolutely did the right thing. Glucagon is specifically for use when you're not able to get sugar by eating something. If it happens again you have to do that again. You may have saved your own life. G-d bless you!

That being said, wow, you can't eat a ton of carbs and take an industrial-sized dose insulin to cover and expect to get away with that. You're a new member and I don't want to be Mr. Diet Cop or anything. Just that you're pregnant and you have to take care of yourself.

If I can be so bold as to ask, what is your diet like? What's your A1c and what do you usually see in the way of blood sugars? I know that's really personal, but there are a lot of really smart people here. IF you want, there are a lot of people here who can help you get on track (if you need to) and provide a *lot* of support.

Mike

macncheese

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate it. My friends and family support me the best that they can but they just don't really understand what it's like to be diabetic. It's nice to talk to other diabetics ;) I am usually very calm and level headed so it was unusual for me to get scared like that. I really did not like it.

I have struggled with my diet since becoming pregnant and am still getting used to trying to eat smaller more frequent meals. You are absolutely right! Yesterday was really dumb for me not to eat for six hours, then take a big bonus of insulin and eat a ton of junk like that.

My A1c went from 6.4 to 5.6 during this pregnancy and I worked hard to get it there. I usually eat a lot of vegetables, I'm not really a big sweets person but I do have trouble resisting savory fattening foods and bread. I'm a fried chicken, steak and potatoes type of girl. I usually eat about 40-80 grams of carbs in one meal on average. I know that's a lot and my diet can be better but every diabetic knows that's the toughest part of this haha. I do try to make sure I eat some protein and fiber with carbs so it stays somewhat stable and doesn't drop too low.

I've been wearing a CGM for about 2 months now and it really helps me keep track of my blood sugars. I've become more aggressive with my insulin since becoming pregnant because I am terrified of going too high and hurting my baby. Blood sugars are usually between 100 to highs of 200. I have had more lows since getting pregnant so my doc had me lower my Lantus from 34 to 28 units at night. That helped a lot.

Thanks for your help!

miketurco

You're right about diet being the hardest part! I eat really-really low-carb because (I guess) I'm highly allergic to carbs. So I follow a ketogenic diet. Most people here eat between 30 and 80 carbs/day. You can keep a lot of the stuff you like, such as fatty meat. Bread doesn't work so well but there are a lot of alternatives. Like this: http://www.lowcarbreviews.com/swedish-breakfast-buns/

That's not to say I'm perfect at it this whole diabetes thing. I mess up a lot. Am just now getting back on-track with my diet after eating poorly for several weeks. I'm good to go now, though. What works best for me is keeping a food diary and counting calories. The low-carb part comes ok naturally because I've been doing it for so many years. 

Mike

janice21475

Mike: "What works best for me is keeping a food diary and counting calories."

Record keeping works for almost everything. My husband is the diabetic but I have to document my BP multiple times a day.  Once you get in the habit it is easy to keep good records. However, slack off a day or 2 and you have to build up your momentum all over again. So, try to get in a groove and stick with it, for yourself and the 'little one.'

Please join us here as we all strive towards better health.

Regards, Janice

Nita

I will have to applaud you for being able to administer the glucagon shot.  I carry one with me at all times but am afraid I would be so nervous I could not figure out how to do it.  I have had to go to hospital with lows before thus me now carrying the shot.  

Also, having dealt with diabetes and insulins for soooo many years I have found that I CANNOT give my Humalog for food until after I have eaten it.  That might have saved you.  I never know the correct amount until I eat as sometimes I don't finish it or eat more than I intended to.  Works for me.

Nita

macncheese

Thanks everyone. I use myfitnesspal to figure out carb counts but don't really keep track of it. Guess I should start!

Nina I was definitely shaking when I took the shot and I wasn't even sure if I could figure it out haha. Everything was slowing down. I would have felt so stupid if I had to call an ambulance for myself. All I could think about was the paramedics showing up and looking at me like I was an idiot...plus they would probably try to make me go to the hospital and I didn't want to do that. I have had lows before and they don't concern me too much cuz I just eat something. But this time was different since I couldn't keep anything down :( I'm glad I was home cuz I don't normally take the shot with me to work. I will from now on though!

Bar&In

Glad you are okay and good luck with the pregnacy.

I always get a kick out of though when people say, they don't know what it's like to be diabetic. I don't get it, minimal effort and half a brain and one lives a normal life. Go the extra mile and one lives far more healthier than his/her non diabetic friends. Now if you said they don't know what it's like to be pregnant, I'd be onboard because as a guy I have no clue the pain associated with giving birth.

Moonpie

can you keep a snack in your pocket, in case you get really busy at work again, & miss your meal break? Or stash something in the locker on the way to bathroom.

ant hill

For a start, Congratulations!!!!

While you know about yourself as you know that you have this disease as control can go ari, add a baby then thing will go stupid as you share the Baby's pancreas. Confused? Control will be difficult later in the pregnancy. But that is just my thinking I am just a Mere Male.

JohnSchroeder

Yeah, you definitely made the right choice.  If you had waited longer you might have been shaking too badly to administer it at all.  For what its worth.. I've been T1 for about 35 years now and in that time have had paramedics called on me maybe 4 or 5 times.  Mostly overnight lows that my parents (and once my wife) couldn't bring me out of.  Never taken to the hospital, it wasn't even mentioned.  They just stick a glucose IV in you and wait for your BG to come up to like 70 before they are allowed to leave.

Not that I want to encourage you to call the ambulance or anything, but on the flip side, don't NOT call them because you are afraid of going to the hospital.  Although, being pregnant might change things there.

SB_Krista

Controlling your sugars while being pregnant is a never ending roller coaster as the pregnancy hormones REALLY make it so much more difficult. I had two diabetic pregnancies and my endo always stressed to not go too high OR too low...either can hurt the fetus. Definitely always carry a snack or sugar tablets...I had the latter stashed everywhere (at work, in my car, at my bedside, in my gym bag, in my waist workout pouch, in my purse). You will get better each day in managing this! Good luck!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.