Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fraser

Web MD- can pre diabetes be reversed?

Fraser

Here we go again reversing a diabetes condition. My opinion we should drop the pre duabetes term . It is still diabetes just early stage. The article offers all the same solutions as t-2. Weight, diet exercise stop smoking, sleep etc. check out on web MD sorry I am not good at adding links.

I have no idea what information this article would give to someone who was dx as "pre diabetic."

Minor rant.

CandaceV

My doctor told me at one point relating to another issue, that WebMD is run by big Pharma.  I took his word on it, didn't investigate.  Might be true, might not be.

The only way my diabetes stays in "reverse" is if I eat 20 grams of carbs a day and exercise. 

Fraser

I am more concerned with the message, again, that something is reversible.

Even Dr. Berstein makes money from his books etc.

And for those who use the term "big pharm" in a negative context, no one is forcing you to

Take advantage of the research they do and the medicines they produce. ;-)

CandaceV

I have taken antibiotics in the past, which probably saved my life more than once, for strep infections, one in my throat, one in my foot, which was very close to amputation.  So antibiotics saved my foot, and my heart valves.  I do my best not to take drugs because of side effects and dangerous allergies.

I am curious if there are any studies which prove diabetes has been reversed.  For example, an a1C of 9, losing weight, exercising, cutting carbs.  Then an a1C of 5 for the rest of their life after eating the standard western diet again.   

I can tell you that my husband was "pre-diabetic" and now lives on a low carb diet, his last a1C was 5.2 (which is higher than mine).  Has he reversed it?  No.  It's 140 after an ice cream cone, and will stay there for over an hour.  But that's one person and everyone is different, dependent on the levels of beta cell death and insulin resistance.

I suppose we may find an answer sometime in the future.  As of today, I don't believe it can be reversed for the rest of your life if you continue to eat the foods that got you there in the first place.  T2 of course, I know nothing about T1.

Dr. Bernstein and Dr. Atkins saved my life.

Fraser

My experience going from an A1c of 12.0 and after 7 years off meds and an A1c of 5.6

If I gave up my LCHF diet an ate "normal food, It just would not work and and I would be back to square 1

I am carb intolerant. And if I had a Peanut allergy and eat Reese Cups, well it would not work either.

So I just eat what my body can deal with

,by the way am I really allowed to end a sentence with a proposition ?? My fourth grade teacher would be appalled

Bishop

Here we go again reversing a diabetes condition. My opinion we should drop the pre duabetes term . It is still diabetes just early stage. The article offers all the same solutions as t-2. Weight, diet exercise stop smoking, sleep etc. check out on web MD sorry I am not good at adding links.

I have no idea what information this article would give to someone who was dx as "pre diabetic."

Minor rant.

post-58054-0-68774800-1474262365.jpg

Barry6547

I guess my question is what percentage of those diagnosed as Pre-D transition to full-blown diabetes?  I read somewhere that the number is low.  But, I don't remember the source, so I wouldn't bank on that info. being accurate.  Here's what I would really like to know:  Of those who are considered Pre-D and never make the transition to D, what percentage perhaps eat without carb limitation, and their numbers are in the Prediabetic range, but don't go beyond that...and what percentage are considered to be Pre-D, even though they keep their numbers below the numbers recognized as Pre-D?

ShottleBop

Having pre-diabetes is like the Highway Patrol pulling you over and giving you a ticket for going 57 in a 65!

No, it isn't.  It's more like the Highway Patrol pulling you over at 57 when you've got your gas pedal floored and are still accelerating, to give you a warning.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.