Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SheaMaximo

Newly diagnosed

SheaMaximo

Hi I am 30 yro and has been diagnosed with diabetes my fbs result was 135 and was advised to take hba1c test.. I dont know how to start my diet please help

adiantum

Welcome to the forum.

You will get great advice  from members here, so don't  think your on your own through this.

Learn to google carb content in your food choices.

get a blood glucose meter with strips , check for better priced ones perhaps at Walmart or amazon. 

The meter will tell you what foods you tolerate & those which you don't.

Test before a meal & again 2 hours afterwards keeping these numbers under 126 if possible.

Foods to avoid are those which have been processed. Bread,pasta & anything made of flour, rice, fruit & root vegetables like potato & carrot.

Naturally icecream, cookies, candy & full sugared soft drinks/sodas are off the list.

Post here often & ask anything.

sugarguy

hi sheamaximo the first thing to do is start by keeping track of what you eat paying close attention to your carbohydrates eaten. 

sugarguy

this company U.S. Diagnostics  has affordable test strips (50 for 9.99 at american diabetes warehouse) and reliable meters.this is the one I use The INFINITY Blood Glucose Monitoring System from U.S. Diagnostics. 

samuraiguy

Welcome to the forums. Get a blood glucose meter and let it be your guide as to what you can eat. Set some blood glucose goals (fasting, 1 and 2 hours after eating) and either eliminate, lower the portion size of, or find a low carb alternative to any food that makes your blood glucose go higher than your goal range, i.e. If you want to keep your A1C under 6 then you will need a fasting under 100 mg/dl, 1 hour after a meal under 140 mg/dl and 2 hours under 120 mg/dl.

miketurco

It's not unheard of that one's blood sugar goes high for some seemingly random reason. That A1c test will help a lot in terms of telling you where you're at. I hope things go your way! In terms of diet, cutting carbs is a good idea for mostly everyone. A low-carb diet is, hands down, the best way to go with diabetes.

You might consider buying a book on low-carb eating. I started with Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution many years ago. If that book is still out, buy and read that one. If buying/reading a book seems like a bit much, I suggest this: search for "letter on corpulence by William Banting" and go with that. It's only a few pages long and it gives you the basics. It's not the be-all and end all of healthy low-carb eating, but it's a really good start.

I'm not convinced you're diabetic. Let us know how things go with your A1c results.

Mike

meyery2k

Welcome to the forums.  You will get great advice here.  Hopefully, you are not diabetic.  1 random test of 135 would not, to my understanding, lead to a diagnosis of diabetes.

SheaMaximo

Thank you guys for all your wonderful comments and suggestion towards my journey to good health i really appreciate it. :) i have enrolled my self to this 1 day diabetic wellness program where they will teach us how meal planing works.. I'll keep you all posted.

davef

Hi there and welcome,

You have found a great place for information, support and help. The early days can be rife with a range of emotions but it really does get better.

A sometime ago somebody asked what our top tips for the newly diagnosed would be, well here are mine for a Type 2:

1. Relax, I know it seems like the end of the world right now, but it really isn't that bad. You can and will gain control, you will feel much better. But you have to give yourself time.

2. It's normal to feel a whole range of emotions, anger, grief, denial, sadness, fear and to feel overwhelmed. Yes, diagnosis is a big thing, it's a milestone but you will feel better. Grasp it as a chance to live a healthier life and don't ever feel alone, the forums are full of great people here to help and support you.

3. Test, test, test. Testing is probably your best tool in gaining control. Test morning, before each meal and two hours after first bite and last thing at night. By testing before/after meals you learn how different foods work for you, we are all different and it's only through testing that we learn what works best for ourselves. As Art here on the forums once wrote "Test, Eat, Test, Learn".

4. As another wise person (xMenace) once said, you can eat anything you want, but you will choose not to eat somethings. Don't get frightened about the idea of being on a special diet, you are not, you will find what works for you and you will find treats that you can eat from time to time.

5. Exercise, if you have not been exercising then fit some into your life. Don't try and do it, there is no try there is only do or do not (Yoda I think said that ). It really does help, especially with fasting numbers - in my experience.

6. Watch those carbs. Many of us find that reducing/limiting the number carbs we eat really helps. I have found that it helps to avoid high carb foods such as white bread, white rice, pasta & potatoes.

7. If you have been prescribed Metformin (Glucophage) don't expect to see immediate results, it does not work like insulin. It takes time to reach full effect, it is not unusual for it to take 3-5 weeks to reach full effect. Some people experience gastric issues (wind, diarrhea) but in most cases this will pass, reducing carbs helps this as does making sure to eat and then take the metformin. If you have gastric issues that don't subside after a week or so, talk to your doctor and see if Metformin ER (Extended Release) might be better for you, or if you could start on a lower dose and build up to the dose that was prescribed.

8. Get the book "The First Year: Type 2 Diabetes" by Gretchen Becker. I found it easy to read and very informative.

9. Relax (I know I said that, but do try)

10. Visit these forums, ask lots of questions, never be afraid to ask for help/advice, if something works for you then do it, if not then don't. Know you can come here to vent to people who will just "get it".

11. Build new habits. I found that working to build new habits, whether it's about what/how you eat, when you test etc. it really works. Once a habit has been established it's hard to break it.

12. Build a relationship with your Doctor, drug store etc, they are all part of team you. Don't be afraid to ask questions of your Doctor. Become the captain of your team, work with your team and draw on their knowledge/experience.

13. When I joined these forums, I was told to remember that "You control your diabetes, it does not control you" - it's true. Don't let it rule your life, there's is no such sentence as "I can't I have diabetes" - you can do what ever you choose to do.

14. Oh yeah, relax

Remember you are not alone. Will you stumble? quiet possibly, most humans do stumble from time to time, the important thing is to get back up and start over.

Visit and post often,

meyery2k

Shea - Davef has given some great advice.  One piece of advice that put things together for me on the way of eating is to not try and substitute favorite foods with new foods.  This will result in disappointment and can cause you to get off track.

As an example, cauliflower riced in a food processor or by hand is touted as a substitute for rice.  Make this and you will not even miss rice (is the claim)!  For me, this was not true, and was disappointing.  Other ideas had similar results.

Kit suggested the advice I am giving.  It is so simple it is laughable but she pointed out that I should eat cauliflower because I like cauliflower and to use the merits that it has when planning meals.  She was spot on.  It was a mental thing.

I now rice cauliflower and will then serve with stew or curry.  It tastes great and since I expect it to be cauliflower it works out great.  My twenty something y/o daughter hates cauliflower but likes it when I rice it and use it with Chinese food (go figure).

My comfort foods are now cauliflower, zucchini, and cabbage lol...

SheaMaximo

I must admit that it has been a rough week for me.. i have seen cases of Type 2 with some of my relatives and trust me i got goose bumps. After finding out about my condition the realization comes in.. i had this co worker whom have been bring her food of steamed veggies and green juices.. i laughed at her asking what the heck was that food about.. and now i realized id be needing those.. silly me.. im a bit teary eyed yes i agree with all if you.. i love the quote that i control DM it does not control me ... i really appreciate all your help and advices.. i will do my best and i will not DM take me down :) i cannot thank you enough for this :)

Fraser

Shea all the thanks we need is to see you get going on the right track. Soon it will be 8 years since my dx, I don't really remember what it was like before that. I do know I am healthier, more active and feel much better since I have changed my way of eating.

Yep I had my cries so ahead and have a good one Your mourning the loss off what you thought was normal.

I always say my new normal is just better.

FYI there are so many more foods that iare good for us other than steam veggies ( which are good too )

Kit

I must admit that it has been a rough week for me.. i have seen cases of Type 2 with some of my relatives and trust me i got goose bumps. After finding out about my condition the realization comes in.. i had this co worker whom have been bring her food of steamed veggies and green juices.. i laughed at her asking what the heck was that food about.. and now i realized id be needing those.. silly me.. im a bit teary eyed yes i agree with all if you.. i love the quote that i control DM it does not control me ... i really appreciate all your help and advices.. i will do my best and i will not DM take me down :) i cannot thank you enough for this :)

Smoothies and steamed vegetables. How revolting.

You really can eat a lot better. I'm remote on my tablet and sadly can't give a direct link, but go to this post and scroll down a few to mine with all the images.

http://www.diabetesforums.com/forum/topic/79212-could-this-really-be-working/?fromsearch=1

You can see that this way of eating doesn't have to be boring or disgusting. :D

meyery2k

Shea - That is good news.  I would encourage you to try some of the things we do.  Even if you are not diabetic, you may be what they call pre-diabetic.  Many here believe that just means you are not "diabetic" enough to be classed as one.

The LC is healthy and once you get the hang of it, delicious.  I dropped some serious weight on LC in addition to getting my diabetes under control.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.