Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

leosmith

Was it all just a bad dream?

leosmith

I haven’t posted regularly on this forum since February, and I thought some people might be interested in what happened to me. It looks like I am out of trouble now, and this is how it happened.

About 2 years ago I went to the emergency care unit suffering from what I though were food poisoning symptoms. They couldn’t find anything, and prescribed a short term BRAT diet. That made the symptoms go away, but when I went back on my normal diet (very high in processed carbs), they came back. So I tried vegan with no luck. Then I tried paleo and thrived. It’s worth noting that my vegan diet included lots of processed carbs, and paleo had much less.

About a year later I had some labs done and my cholesterol was very high (409), and I had an a1c of 5.8, which made me pre-diabetic. I tried 2 or 3 variations of low carb diets, one of which was ketogenic, but that didn’t help. My total cholesterol was now 527, a1c 5.9 and I had frequent leg cramps.

At that point I got a new doctor, and he said my cholesterol was much more concerning than my a1c. He said because we have very little data, it may turn out that my blood sugar has been at this level for years, and that it’s not progressing. He suggested that I wait for several months to check it again. So I took his advice, and I also started to eat a diet low in fat and high in complex carbs (Fuhrman’s diet for diabetics). This was just before taking a 6 month vacation overseas.

My leg cramps went away a couple weeks into my vacation. My most recent labs were last month, and my total cholesterol was 261 (LDL 177/HDL 74/ TGL 30). My a1c was 5.8.

I don’t know if following Fuhrman’s diet controlled my bg, or if my doctor is right in saying that my bg is just naturally holding steady in what’s considered the pre-diabetic range. Bottom line is it looks like I can live my life like I am without fear of progressing into diabetes. Regarding cholesterol, it was definitely diet that fixed that.

So I won’t be dropping in here very often anymore. If I never was diabetic, I apologize for asking so many questions. This forum has been very helpful to me. Big thanks to every one of you, especially samuraiguy for his posts on exercise, Bishop for his extensive ketogenic performance knowledge, cplca for showing what an exercise fanatic can achieve and Fraser for being an inspiration and consistent supporter of using food instead of medicine. 

Fraser

Thanks for the update! And your great works. If ever you needs us we will be here. )

As I remember you were leaving to travel, sound like it went well

Bishop

I haven’t posted regularly on this forum since February, and I thought some people might be interested in what happened to me. It looks like I am out of trouble now, and this is how it happened.

About 2 years ago I went to the emergency care unit suffering from what I though were food poisoning symptoms. They couldn’t find anything, and prescribed a short term BRAT diet. That made the symptoms go away, but when I went back on my normal diet (very high in processed carbs), they came back. So I tried vegan with no luck. Then I tried paleo and thrived. It’s worth noting that my vegan diet included lots of processed carbs, and paleo had much less.

About a year later I had some labs done and my cholesterol was very high (409), and I had an a1c of 5.8, which made me pre-diabetic. I tried 2 or 3 variations of low carb diets, one of which was ketogenic, but that didn’t help. My total cholesterol was now 527, a1c 5.9 and I had frequent leg cramps.

At that point I got a new doctor, and he said my cholesterol was much more concerning than my a1c. He said because we have very little data, it may turn out that my blood sugar has been at this level for years, and that it’s not progressing. He suggested that I wait for several months to check it again. So I took his advice, and I also started to eat a diet low in fat and high in complex carbs (Fuhrman’s diet for diabetics). This was just before taking a 6 month vacation overseas.

My leg cramps went away a couple weeks into my vacation. My most recent labs were last month, and my total cholesterol was 261 (LDL 177/HDL 74/ TGL 30). My a1c was 5.8.

I don’t know if following Fuhrman’s diet controlled my bg, or if my doctor is right in saying that my bg is just naturally holding steady in what’s considered the pre-diabetic range. Bottom line is it looks like I can live my life like I am without fear of progressing into diabetes. Regarding cholesterol, it was definitely diet that fixed that.

So I won’t be dropping in here very often anymore. If I never was diabetic, I apologize for asking so many questions. This forum has been very helpful to me. Big thanks to every one of you, especially samuraiguy for his posts on exercise, Bishop for his extensive ketogenic performance knowledge, cplca for showing what an exercise fanatic can achieve and Fraser for being an inspiration and consistent supporter of using food instead of medicine. 

=)

Ela

Hmm Leo, very interesting case.  Maybe you don't have diabetes after all.  And maybe your elevated BG were caused by some food that irritated your stomach or whatever.  Who knows.  As your current doctor pointed out: we have very limited data.

Another possibility could be that the food overseas was better quality.  I went to Israel this summer and was surprised that some breaded food, like HEAVILY breaded shrimp for example - didn't elevate my BG much, while here at home it's a different story.  Some other things were different too.   

xMenace

What did the lipid panel look like on keto? A total number alone is pointless.

​A TG of 30 is difficult to believe on a high carb diet, as TGs are created from sugars. A drop from 527 to 261 is frankly not plausible. 409 up to 527 is not realistic either. Total cholesterol moves slowly, even with drastic dietary changes. I have trouble believing your testimony.

leosmith

I have trouble believing your testimony.

What possible reason could I have for lying about this? I'm not affiliated in any way with Fuhrman or anything else, if that's what you're implying. 

Seagal

Leo, hoping everything continues to go well with you.  If you feel like dropping in from time to time with updates, we will be here :)

I'm not sure how long you gave each diet you tried, but unless it was several months for each one, there may not have been enough time for true results.

No matter, you have found what does work and that is the most important part!  I am guessing you will hang on to your glucometer & test on occasion, just to keep tabs?

Best wishes.

leosmith

I am guessing you will hang on to your glucometer & test on occasion, just to keep tabs?

Guess again my friend, haha. But I will continue to check my a1c when I do labs, maybe once a year.

Fraser

My opinion, when we are exposed to a diagnoses, we explore and determine what indidually what functions for us.

And hopefully the consequences are minimal.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.