Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BigJ

How Soon to Notice Changes in BG

BigJ

If I make changes in diet and exercise and sleep, how long before I notice a change?

I've had Type 2 for 4 years. Till now I have been able to keep my blood glucose almost normal (below 120 in AM and below 140 2hr after dinner) and my a1c in the 6% range. I've done it mostly by taking Metformin and Glipizide. Now I can't get it below 214. It ranges from 214 to 310. (I'm also 130 lbs overweight) I've recently cut out things that I know raise my BG like white rice, pasta, bread. I also don't do soda, juice, potato chips, cakes, candy, cookies, and a few other things. I've cut my portions down and count my carbs. I've also started exercising 45 -75 minutes 6 days a week. How soon will I notice a change in my blood glucose? I don't expect a miracle overnight but I want some change so I know that I'm heading in the right direction? 3 weeks? 4 weeks? 6 months?

samuraiguy

Welcome to the forums. There is no set length of time because everyone's diabetes is different, but what helped me was to set some blood glucose goals (A1C, fasting and 1 and 2 hour postprandial) and then go from A1C to A1C making adjustments (diet, exercise, meds, weight loss) as needed. After my first 6 months of being on Actos and then Metformin along with 75 pounds weight loss and eating low carb my A1C dropped from Dx of 7.3 to below 5.4 and pretty much remained there for 5 years by keeping up my routine.

jwags

Glipizide is known to over stimulate your oancreas to produce insulin. The problem is after awhile your beta cells in your pancreas stsrt to die off. Have you had a C-peptide test lately? If not ask your doctor to run one. If your c-peptide is low all the Glipizide in the world will not lower your bgs. Many type 2's eventually need insulin. I would try to lose as much weight as you can on a LC diet. I would think if Younare eating very LC your after meal bgs should lower closer to normal. I know my c-peptide is in the lower range of normal and any large csrb meals send me quite high and I am 110 pounds,

OldTech

It took me about a month to get my fasting down 30 points to around 100. It took another 5 to 6 months to get it into the 90s and an another six months before I started seeing normal numbers. 

My fasting is now generally in the 70s, and my post prandial readings are rarely over 100. 

dowling gram

One thing stood out to me in your post--The cutting down of portion size. Do not starve yourself. There is no need to if you are eating low carb. If you do you won't stick with it and all your efforts will be out the window. Look for food that is high in fiber and low in carbs. You'd be surprised just how many things that includes. Vegetables like broccoli, Cauliflower, celery, artichokes, radishes and brussel sprouts are low carb and high fiber. Nuts like almonds, pecans, walnuts, macadamia and fiberts have lots of good fat and fiber but they do have some carbs so should be eaten in small amounts. Flax meal can be added to lots of things or use it for flax bread or making muffin in a mug. Flax has almost as much fiber as carbs so it's basically a free food. At least it is for me.

You'll have to search for other things by looking them up and read labels. Be sure to test them to see if they raise your BG. As time goes on you will know what raises you BG and what won't. That doesn't mean you can forgo testing. You just won't have to test as often

When I was first diagnosed I cut my carbs to almost nothing so it didn't take long (2 months) to lower my BG and drop 40 pounds. It was a diet I couldn't stick to so I gradually upped my carbs a bit. I found foods I liked and recipes I could make that kept me on the right track. It does take work and sleuthing to reach the right balance but once you do you'll find that it really is easy to stick to.

miketurco

Your question is basically, "I've been bad for a long time and now I'm straightening out. How long is that going  to take?" 

This may be a lengthy difficult battle, or maybe not. Some of that is in your control, like your diet. Some of that is not. Diabetes has a will of it's own and it may put up a fight.

Even when you get to where you want to be, you will probably have to continue the fight. 

Food for thought: normal BG's, for a person without diabetes, tend to stay well under a hundred at virtually all times. There's a lot of discussion and differences on this group regarding what good targets are, for A1c and BG. But nobody says that having normal blood sugar is bad. 

funkynassau

My doc once told me - you didnt get like this overnight and you won't get better overnight.

It takes time especially if you have been out of control for a long time.  Be patient with yourself and you will get there.  It may takes weeks or months.

Kellyg53

You are getting good advice. I've been on this journey since June 30 when I was dx' as type 2. I was in the midst of a BG excursion with a 704 BG and 11.4 A1C. I was prescribed 850 X2 Metformin and 4mg Glimepiride and as few carbs as possible. Plus of course obtaining a meter and religious testing. My results have been good. I rarely am over 120 BG in the morning and below 100 during the day. I've lost 30 pounds and have lost most cravings for sugar and carbs. I'm eating well and engaging the fight. You can too.

I'm going in for blood tests next month, so I hope I see a drop in my A1C.

My best advice is cut the carbs to the bone and continue your exercise.

Good luck!

Jeapa

I am in a similar situation as you. My last A1c was over 11. I started on lchf and added victoza to my 2000 mg of metformin. It has been about 3-4 weeks and my fbg is down 100 points.

You can do this!! The first week of eating 35-40g of carbs daily was the hardest. Everyday gets easier and I am feeling so much better. I think you will feel better once the carb fog and fatigue lifts. Congrats on your decision to take contro.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.