Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

miketurco

Metformin the miracle drug?

ant hill

Great suggestion re: B12. Mine was very very low, below the low range of acceptable. I've been taking supplements for two weeks.

I hope you're able to lower your dose. I've tried but after a week, my numbers started to go higher so I stopped.

I have Vegiemite is my B12 it's a Yeast Extract as for the Miracle drug as I see that there's no such thing. Eat more Veggies.

Phil

My T2 has been under control for 3 years with just diet. Last A1c was 5.9 and before that 5.7. Yesterday my doc suggested Metformin. I was under the impression that if A1c was below 6.5 one did not need meds. Is that true. I am 72 and don't want to take chances with the possible side effects.

Any advice? Thank you

mystiquarte

I was given metformin as its the first line of diabetic drugs and I hated it - it made me feel weird and I had chronic diarrhea until I had no more metformin in my body and by that time I was due for another dose...I stopped taking it as no dr would listen to me...it wasn't until I started seeing my current dr that I was listened too and it turns out I'm severely allergic to metformin, so its insulin for me.

If it doesn't agree with you it's not the-be-all-and-end-all there are plenty of other meds out there, don't be afraid to speak up. 

Fraser

Hi Phil , obviously your not a member of the way out of control group.( I was)

But there are three options for controlling diabetes, diet, exercise and medication. Or maybe avoidance will work , but I doubt it.

So you have a choice.

many react to metformin many don't ,

So choose or options, and realized you can change your direction.

Dave_KC

Those are very low numbers, so it is a bit surprising.  Metformin does have bad side effects for some.  For others (like me) none, in fact, a bit of the opposite.  So, it just depends on the person. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.