Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JohnSchroeder

Switched to Novlin R

JohnSchroeder

My insurance this plan year got much much worse.  Instead of charging ~60/month for Humalog and Levemir it went up to almost $300/month for Humalog and almost the same for Levemir.

Now my wife and I are both paid very well and live in a very nice neighborhood.   But $600/month for insulin is just not affordable.  Insurance has effectively priced us out of using it.  Funny how we are legally required to have it now right?  I honestly have no idea how people with less income than us could use any of the brand name insulins anymore.  I suppose we technically COULD afford it, but it would be such a drain we could do little else.

So thanks to Mike Turco's postings about how you can get Novlin R from Walmart for $25/bottle, I went over to Walmart to investigate and walked out with a vial of R insulin and syringes for $37.  WOW!

Novlin R = 2.5 Cents/Unit (cash, no insurance)

Humalog = 20 Cents/Unit (Copay)

That 1/8th the cost. 12.5%

Moonpie

I hope it will work out well for you, the costs are crazy, families need money to do other things besides buy medications.

macksvicky

Isn't it great to have the forum, some folks don't know they can get the older insulins from Walmart. Do you need an RX for the needles?

JohnSchroeder

You do not, and the entire box of Relion needles syringes was only like 12 dollars.

I think in the future I will probably GET an Rx, but only so that the cost goes towards our insurance deductible.

Also, it really is only Walmart.  I checked Market Street first and they did not have it.

m2hwb41

I don't use insulin, but you don't need a script for needles here in Iowa.  I have a friend that moved here from California---she can't believe they just have them hanging on a wall display for sale in any farm supply store because people buy them to inoculate animals. 

NoraWI

Oh, and the penalty for NOT buying insurance is sometimes worthwhile. I'm glad I am old enough to have the only viable health insurance in this country... Medicare. For how long? We don't know.

NoraWI

I don't use insulin, but you don't need a script for needles here in Iowa.  I have a friend that moved here from California---she can't believe they just have them hanging on a wall display for sale in any farm supply store because people buy them to inoculate animals.

But those are not insulin needles! Insulin needles are very short and thin so they don't hurt. They would never pierce the hide of an animal.

JohnSchroeder

But those are not insulin needles! Insulin needles are very short and thin so they don't hurt. They would never pierce the hide of an animal.

I don't know, maybe if you got a running start and did like a flying leap while thrusting your arm holding the syringe in front of you....

hexex0

Did you check to see if they cover Lantus/Novolog?  From what I've read, sometimes their preferred "new" insulins change year to year.  TBH, I'm expecting this myself.  Seems to get worse all the time, coverage wise.  Let us know how it goes.

m2hwb41

I know they aren't the same thing, but I think most drug addicts wouldn't care---they just freaked Janet out.

miketurco

Am really happy to hear this worked out for you. They have N there, "long acting," and I use that as well. A box of syringes lasts me forever because I re-use them until they get dull.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.