Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

provlima

When to take a fasting BG ...trying to determine average base BG level

provlima

I am pre-diabetic and my last A1c was 6.0  I have been on a low carb diet since early June and have learned to eat to the meter

Can someone advise when is the best time to take a fasting BG level.  My BG reading seem illogical at times

My BG today was understandably 177  two hours after eating 4 waffles with sugar free syrup. The test was taken two hours after breakfast. 

Three hours later  (or five hrs after bkfast) I took a pre-dinner test at 94

Two hrs after a low carb concious dinner BG was at 113

My pre bedtime reading seven hours after dinner was 122

I don't eat snacks in between meals

Thanks for any comments

miketurco

Fasting usually refers to being before you first eat or drink in the morning. Readings after meals are called postprandial readings, usually abbreviated PP. So after french toast, your 2hr PP was 177. 

A good, overall target is to keep your readings under 125 at all times. That'll basically keep your A1c in the safe zone of under six. Given you're at the pre-d level, you may be able to do this by going with a low-carb diet.

About that... there are some low-carb french toast that are worth a look http://peaceloveandlowcarb.com/30-low-carb-pancake-waffle-and-french-toast-recipes/ . Another good way go low-carb on breakfast is bacon and eggs.

samuraiguy

If you want the most consistent numbers, then immediately after you wake as long as you fasted at least 8 hours. Once you are awake and moving about then other factors begin to affect BG readings like exercise--even if it's just a walk up and down stairs to get breakfast, additional liver dumping if you delay eating, drinking water, etc...

jwags

I take my fasting bg, the minute I get out of bed. If I don't eat right away, my BG will go up 40-50 points. I take my pp bg, 2-3 hours after I eat. My bgs are all over the place, too.

miketurco

I take my fasting bg, the minute I get out of bed. If I don't eat right away, my BG will go up 40-50 points. I take my pp bg, 2-3 hours after I eat. My bgs are all over the place, too.

I have that same problem but bolus for it. If I wake up at 100, say, I bolus for 140. It's my least favorite shot of the day. I'm going to experiment with having something on-hand next to the bed to eat. Maybe that will fix the problem, and it sounds a lot better than my scary morning mega shot.

miketurco

I'm using N and R, most states (I think) no prescription. Regardless, sounds like you're doing good without it.

macksvicky

My Endo won't put me on insulin.

Doctors are so afraid of lows, Just a small amount of background insulin would probably get you to your goal. It's a shame!

Kit

That's because lows are immediate and can open the doctor to being sued for bad care.

Highs, however, take many years to cause problems which can be brushed off as "oh, diabetes is just progressive'>

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.