Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

meyery2k

Was there any particular art that heped when first DX'ed?

meyery2k

I thought it might be fun to find out if there was a particular song, band, movie, game, etc... that helped you when first diagnosed.  It is easy to forget how scary it was at first.  I then remember when there is a new post and they are asking for help.  We all have that one thing in common no matter what our background.

For me, the song "I'll Make a Man Out of You" from Mulan defined being a diabetic and what I had to do.

In the movie, the song opens with the general proclaiming something to the effect of "We have a long way to go.." and then the opening drumline underscores that sentiment.

The counterpoints between the general's and troop's frustrations is brilliantly scored.  As a diabetic we play both parts simultaneously.

To me, the music really highlighted the frustrations of being diabetic and the triumph when you figure out what to do.  Basically you have to take a broken body and figure out on your own how to make it work for you.

"Heed my every order and you might survive...".  How true is that? 

hexex0

Yes, but not in the way you're describing -- at least, not exactly.  Not something inspiring, or even emotionally connecting, but there was definitely a game that saved my sanity.

I had been living as type 2 (and doing pretty well at it, if I do say so myself, still having some juice left in the old pancreas) and then found out I was actually type 1.  My new doctor wanted to start me on insulin immediately, and, to be perfectly honest, it was a bit stressful (if not exactly terrifying).  I didn't know much, but I knew the bad: insulin could make me hypo, put me into a coma, kill me, etc. and I managed to get myself worked up into this negative thought loop resolving that I was going to end up accidentally killing myself.

I live alone in a rural area and don't have many neighbors, and it was also snowing the day I started MDI so that made me feel even more isolated.

I knew that I had to do something to take my mind off of it, so I just randomly grabbed this PC puzzle game called Infinifactory and hoped it'd take my mind off of it.  Pretty neat little game, it lets you build these complex mechanical assembly lines to produce parts that are then combined together on your assembly line to produce more complicated parts, etc.  It was the perfect choice because it required me to really focus on what I was doing.  I swear, I must have checked my blood sugar every 30 minutes for 20 hours straight that day, but I am still grateful to that game for keeping me distracted for the remainder.

Meh.

It takes a lot to get to me, to be honest, but starting insulin did, I admit.  In retrospect, it was a completely baseless reaction as I now see it as the absolute best tool in my diabetes fighting arsenal.

Cora

I was too young to have anything like that at diagnosis (I was 2), but over the years I've had a lot of bad medical stuff happen and one of my favorite songs is by 54-40  called "Baby Have Some Faith" and the chorus that really strikes me is thepart that goes...."daylight will follow the darkness"....and ....."good is as real as the evil"...  I just like the tune.

Kit

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy radio series.

I'm odd.  When I'm under a lot of emotional stress, I cannot concentrate on much of anything.  Can't stand to watch TV, music annoys me, can't concentrate on reading, etc.  But for some reason, THHGTTG Radio series I can focus on.  Likely because it is light and silly and only takes about 2 brain cells to focus on it.  :)

Fraser

From long ago The Movie score of Chaiots of Fire. Of course a movie about running,

It helped me through coming out as a gay male divorcing and then starting life over as a single father with custody of two great kids.

Like 35 years ago. It always helps me feel stronger. I had not thought about it for awhile.

I mentioned it to my daughter the other day, she said oh no your aren't going to play it are you?

But my go to for any difficult times.

Diabetes came many years later.

meyery2k

Kit - I remember listening to that when it first aired on public radio! 

Vogon poetry would probably NOT inspire me to manage my diabetes...

Kit

Oh freddled gruntbuggly,
Thy micturations are to me,
As plurdled gabbleblotchits,
On a lurgid bee,
That mordiously hath blurted out,
Its earted jurtles,
Into a rancid festering confectious organ squealer
Now the jurpling slayjid agrocrustles,
Are slurping hagrilly up the axlegrurts,
And living glupules frart and slipulate,
Like jowling meated liverslime,
Groop, I implore thee, my foonting turling dromes,
And hooptiously drangle me,
With crinkly bindlewurdles,
Or else I shall rend thee in the gobberwarts with my blurglecruncheon,
See if I don't

Actually it might inspire me to never eat again.  :D

SweetAndBendy

Even though I was 20 when diagnosed with T1, I didn't really have anything artsy to get me through it. As strange as it may sound, being diagnosed wasn't much of a personal disaster for me. I was diagnosed and that was that, I decided there and then that I'd make the best out of the situation and manage this, and I've always been like that with things and try to turn things into something positive rather than negative in life. But whenever I feel down and need a kick in the ass to get back on track with something, I listen to The show must go on with Queen, the lyrics are so powerful and to think Freddie was dying from AIDS at the time it was recorded... It works every time: If he could keep his spirits up and keep singing like that while being so desperately ill, then I should be able to cope with anything thrown my way! 

To this day there's no singer who can nail The show must go on like Freddie did it, and the singers who've tried did so at full health. I guess in a sense you could say Freddie Mercury in general inspires me to keep going and do my best in life, the difference is that for me the battle is against T1 diabetes, a genetic connective tissue disorder and issues related to it, plus a spinal cord injury that is in a sense caused by my CTD. Freddie's battle was against the HIV virus at a time where there was no effective treatment against it. Had he been affected by it just some years later, he'd likely be alive still today because the medicines came not too long after his passing. Bit like it was for T1 diabetics in the old time, those who got diabetes before insulin was discovered didn't live long, while those who got diabetes once insulin was available could live longer or even live a normal life span. 

Hope this makes sense. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.