Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stl-T2

Air fried croquettes

Stl-T2

My hubby got me an air fryer for my birthday.  I've been playing around with it some today.  I wasn't measuring stuff for the most part, so I can't give you an exact recipe, but I can give you a general idea of what I put in.

For the salmon ones, I combined 

1egg

1 small can skinless, boneless pink salmon

enough coconut flour to soak up the excess moisture

handful of finely shredded cheese (mexican blend, I think.  Swiss or mozz probably would have been better)

dill

kosher salt

For the mushroom ones:

1 egg

1 small can of mushrooms (drained and chopped finer)

2 oz cream cheese

coconut flour 

italian seasoning

The mushroom ones were gooier so I made a "breading" with ~1Tbs ground flax, black pepper, salt and garlic powder.  (Ran out of the first batch and made a second with less salt and a pinch of Swerve.)  

The mushroom ones were for my husband because he said he didn't care for salmon much, but while I was elsewhere he ate the last six salmon croquettes (the ones I was tentatively planning to have for lunch tomorrow!) so I guess they were pretty good.

Both were "fried" for about 10-12 minutes at 370F with a stop to turn them over in the middle.  They came out nicely browned and crispy.

Trying to think how to do a cheesecake version of these, but in the meantime I made some of this flavored sour cream we like:

~1cup of sour cream

1 packet True Lemon

confectioners Swerve

a few drops of EZsweet

That is something I originally derived from a topping for cheesecake, but my husband and I like it enough to just eat it on its own.  I recently bought some of those 2 oz condiment cups.  I divided the lemon cream into those, so we can go grab one when we want something sweet. (It made four after I ate some of the stuff out of the bowl. Guess the hubs is still hungry because we finished off all the croquettes earlier and he just ate one of the lemon creams, too.) 

May have to go give cheesecake croquettes a try before putting the airfrier away for the night!

adiantum

another DF'er recommended the air fryers so I bought a cheaper one from aldi.

I love it & use it most days to bake fish.

Mine has a knob in the centre so I had to buy a  ring cake pan to go over  that.

I guess I could've just used the dish it came with but that knob is corrugated.

Ive made great carrot cakes in it using almond meal.

Moonpie

we recently bought an air fryer too & I love it, it makes fish & chicken so easy to cook. I will have to try out your croquettes. Ours is a cheap price too, but it still cooks the food ;)

Stl-T2

I had some chicken thighs I wanted to try in it, but I chickened out.  Wasn't even sure of a ballpark range for how long to cook it.  When my hubs cooks chicken he does it in the oven at 300F for about an hour.  I know that's lower and slower than most people do.  Didn't think that would work in the airfryer, though.  Wouldn't it get terribly dried out?

I wanted to try the baking powder trick and then coat with a "honey" mustard sauce of mustard mixed with some Swerve.

Stl-T2

First try at "fried" cheesecake balls failed.  Kind of.  Still edible and actually tasty, but they cracked open an oozed (though not enough to get through the basket.) I was trying to make them eggless, but not sure that's going to work, though they weren't half bad uncooked.

I am out of vanilla extract of all things!  (I use too much of it making cream, diet orange soda, and vanilla drinks.)  I was going to try making them with vanilla whey protein powder, but apparently that didn't survive the expiration date based purge we did a couple days ago.  So.

4 oz cream cheese

an ounce or so of granulated Swerve

about 4 drops of EZ sweet

a tsp or 2 of coconut flour

~8 drops of English Toffee flavored Stevia drops

a sprinkle of True Lemon (way less than a full packet)

Then rolled balls of the above in a mixture of:

coconut flour

Confectioners Swerve

cinnamon

Ended up kind of rolling them twice:  once so they'd be less tacky and the second time to thicken the coating.

mzteacher

I think you will love it! I use mine all the time. There is a page on Facebook with recipes called I Love Phillips Airfryer.  There are some recipes on Youtube, lots of pinterest and just google what you would like to make and say in air fryer. There are now a fair amount of cookbooks too. Any cookware you can put in a reg oven you can put in an air fryer. I have given them to family as gifts. If you have the Phillips the grill pan is an excellent thing to have. I have not found things dry out. A thin rib eye steak can go from frozen to cooked perfectly with just salt and pepper in about 12 minutes or less on high. Makes terrific pork chops. Using a silica or parchment paper keeps things with cheese from sticking or oozing through the holes. jJust make sure to to cover all around the fryer. You can do individual cheesecakes in the title 1/2 cup pyrex bowls or similar type.

It is my very favorite kitchen gadget  I love roasted veggies in it. Have lots of fun!!

Moonpie

I made fried chicken thighs in it they turned out fine, I marinated the bone in thighs in buttermilk & made the coating, some recipe I found on the internet, & I had to cook them  longer than the recipe called for, but then I realized they had different temperatures , as it was a recipe from overseas. SO yes, you can cook chicken in it.. There is a ton of recipes online, I joined a FB group called "this old gal" & it is all about air fryers, Mine is a cheaper model, (Chefman) but it works for us.

Mzteacher, thanks I haven't done roast veggies in it yet, but I will :)

Kit

Kind of like a convection oven but more so?  never heard of one myself before this thread.  Sounds interesting, but lord I do not have any room for more gadgets.  :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.