Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PatriciaJ

Desserts?

PatriciaJ

I looked up low carb desserts online and the recipes call for a zillion ingredients! Do any of you know web sites describing desserts with only a few ingredients? What about desserts at restaurants.. Do they have low carbohydrate foods or desserts? I'm just starting to pay more attention to my pre diabetic condition and trying to exercise more and stick to the appropriate diet..
What do you do when you go to a birthday party and the host offers cake and ice cream?
Thanksgiving is coming and I usually have dinner with family and they always have pumpkin pie!

Thank you:)

adiantum

I mostly have a one minute muffin & theres many choices of  flavour for  these.

Kit's Mousse  is just 8oz cream cheese & 1 cup cream  with sweetener . Mix in berries, or vanilla for flavours.

Or check out the recipe forum http://www.diabetesforums.com/forum/forum/10-recipes/

Theres a  few recipes for low carb pumpkin pie, cheesecakes or pavlova.

miketurco

I just say no to it all. When I go out, I wear a hip pack with my insulin and stuff + enough low-carb treats to make it home if something goes wrong. It's really not hard to carry a days worth of food, and at least some of that food will come in handy if you're somewhere there's nothing good (for you) to eat. Nuts, sf seeds, individually wrapped cheese sticks, etc. Jerky would work well, too, but I'm not a fan of that. Atkins and other low-carb protein bars are easy to carry too.

As far as "desserts" what I have is more like snacks. I keep it -really- simple. Cream cheese and butter, peanut butter butter, butter tea, etc. All of the above makes for good snacks too. Cottage cheese with splenda can fix the sweet tooth problem in a low-carb way. Sounds really bad but actually it's not.

NoraWI

I like full-fat Daisy sour cream. Pure cultured milk. Add a drop of liquid Splenda and maybe a few berries or nuts or unsweetened cocoa and, voila, it even has the mouth feel of ice cream. In a restaurant if you really have to have something, the best choice is cheesecake and leave the crust uneaten.

NoraWI

Lee, that request will earn you a stare from the server, except in the really high end European style restaurants of which there are few, if any, in Wisconsin, which purports to be the cheese capital of the Midwest. :(

Moonpie

I love cheese for desert, but it;s not standard issue, sometimes they might  have a cheese plate as an appetizer, if so, I order it as desert.

dice

Yes most restaurants carry maybe some line of sugar-free dessert , but as for low carb  NO!!!!!! ( ex: the sugar - free cherry pie or sometimes the sugar-free raisin pie) {My Mother's get} ; the cherries have natural sugar, as well do the raisin's( & the natural sugars are concentrated in the raisins) & he crust's are not low carb by any means. If you must have any sweets try a cheese platter as Moonpie suggested or take a few vanilla wafers sandwiches spread with peanut butter... that usually satisfy my sweet tooth.  I occasionally  take some cool whip ( you can buy the fat- free kind) & put in some sugar- free jello (any flavor) lime's my fav mixed with a few chopped pecans of course you couldn't take that to a restaurant unless you take it in an insulated bag  & maybe put an ice pack in it  ( for the extra coldness) & like Mike suggested Atkins bar's & Atkins makes milk ( like French vanilla or Mocha Latte....etc.) freeze them at home till there slushy  for a mock shake & take them along in the bag ( course you might have to let the get a little slusher),

princesslinda

I guess I look at things a little differently, but this is what has worked well for me. On Thanksgiving, i'll have a super low carb breakfast, usually scrambled eggs. At our Thanksgiving meal, i'll have my favorite foods (dressing, small slice of pumpkin pie)but the rest of my meal will be the blood sugar friendly foods (green beans, deviled eggs, veggie tray). I figure it's one meal, one day, so it's not going to kill me. Usually the ladies in our family go on a post-meal walk and visit, also a good way to keep blood sugar levels lower.

As for birthday parties, there's usually cheese and veggies, so i'll nibble no them. If it's MY birthday, my husband and I have a nice dinner and share a dessert, with me having just a couple bites.

I don't feel nearly as deprived that way. I was diagnosed in August, and my Thanksgiving that year was extremely stressful due to me not knowing what to eat and being afraid to eat. I vowed that I'd never let diabetes ruin a holiday. If I'm hosting, I make sugar free sweet potato casserole, and if I'm taking a dish, I make sure that it's something I can eat (or i'll bring 2, one as requested, one more blood sugar friendly).

You may not get the huge Thanksgiving meal that you ate in your pre-D days, but you can still enjoy a taste of tradition and put more focus into enjoying time with the family.

Kit

My favorite cheesecake mousse recipes have been mentioned already (though its certainly not mine.  I've just explored variations).

http://www.sugarfreemom.com/recipes/low-carb-pumpkin-cheesecake-mousse/

It comes together in just a few minutes and only has a handful of ingredients and I've made it every year for Christmas since I was diagnosed.  Once I finally got Mr Fuzzy (my husband) to give it a taste, his comment was "it tastes just like pumpkin pie".  Well Duh!  :)

I've also liked this one for lemon almond shortbread cookies using almond flour

http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2013/03/lemon-almond-shortbread-cookies-low-carb-gluten-free.html

(4 ingredients)

I've also left out the lemon and added various spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, and similar to make spice like cookies.  One or two with a nice cup of tea make a wonderful fall evening treat.

As for what to say when at a birthday party and offered cake and ice cream.  That's pretty simple.  "No thank you.  It looks very lovely though."

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.