Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PatriciaJ

Meats and chicken

PatriciaJ

I was told red meat (steaks, ground beef, and lamb) are okay. Also chicken and turkey, right? What about ham? I used to make meat or chicken casseroles with noodles, but noodles seem to be on the restricted list. What would an alternative to noodles or spaghetti be?

Also question about soda and fruit juice: I have diet A&W root beer in refrig and it has 0 carbs and 0 fat. Isn't that a good choice?
What about fruit juices? Are there any on the market that would be a good choice for pre diabetes?

Thank you:)

NoraWI

The answer to your questions is, No, No, and No. Even diet sodas have phosphates that are not good for you. As to fruit juices, I use them to quickly bring myself out of a hypo. All fruit juice is pure sugar in a liquid form. There are sugarless flavoring agents on the market that some use to flavor water. They will have to speak up on that. I just drink water, tea, and my morning cup of coffee sweetened with liquid Splenda and whitened with whipping cream.

samuraiguy

My go to noodle replacements are, cooked shredded cabbage, spaghetti squash, spiralized or peeler shaved zucchini, and fathead dough (recipe below). Cauliflower chopped fine and microwaved can replace rice.

Low Carb Fettuccine

Ingredients
1 cup 2% Milk Shredded Mozzarella
1 egg yolk

Instructions
Melt cheese in the microwave at 30% power for 1 1/2 mins in a 1200 watt microwave (if your watts are lower increase the power or increase the time.)
Wait about 30 seconds for the cheese to cool just a little bit and then add an egg yolk.
With a rubber spatula press and fold the yolk into the melted cheese until it's completely mixed into the cheese. (It should look all egg yolk yellow when you're done mixing.)
Reheat the cheese for 10-15 seconds (longer if your microwave is a lower watt then 1200 watts)
Spray two pieces of parchment paper with cooking spray for rolling out the cheese.
Roll out to about 1/4 inch thick. Use the other piece of parchment paper on top to keep this from sticking to the rolling pin. Don't roll it out too thin.
Slice thin strips and let dry on a rack in the fridge for about 4 hours.
Bring water to a boil on high heat and boil the fettuccine for 1 min.
Strain in a colander and immediately pour cold water over the pasta. (This is so the noodles don't stick to each other so much.)
Reheat with any sauce you want in a pan or microwave for 20 seconds.

Moonpie

zuchini is a good sib for noodles, I jsut use a vegetable peeler & shave off long ribbons. Some people steam it slightly first, you will have to play around & find which way suits you best. I do eat ham, jsut make sure it doesn't have added sugar. , I drink teas, both hot or iced, there area huge amount of teas available.

William V

We cut Zucchini into 1/8" thin strips and dehydrate them. We use these to replace lasagna noodles. dehydrated zucchini makes the lasagna considerably less watery than with fresh zucchini.

dice

The answer to your questions is, No, No, and No. Even diet sodas have phosphates that are not good for you. As to fruit juices, I use them to quickly bring myself out of a hypo. All fruit juice is pure sugar in a liquid form. There are sugarless flavoring agents on the market that some use to flavor water. They will have to speak up on that. I just drink water, tea, and my morning cup of coffee sweetened with liquid Splenda and whitened with whipping cream.

Check out https://www.truelemonstore.com, & Ham I would think is a red meat also : chicken as well as turkey are good meat almost any meats especially tuna fish (packed in water not oil) & the fish filets course you have to watch how there prepared  : I used to get salmon filets( filets them here , at the house); roll that in seasoned  bread crumbs (I know not strictly low carb)I ;  spray pan with Pam quite heavily so salmon would kind of fry in oven, bake 15 min, on one side turn over bake 15 min. on other side ( I covered my pan with foil & poked holes in it). BTW for added crunch  try Panko bread crumbs & you can get lowcarb pasta (Dreamfields) at Walmart even Food City may have it or even get whole-wheat pasta for spaghetti noodles ( whole -wheat  buffers carbs).

Bar&In

I was told red meat (steaks, ground beef, and lamb) are okay. Also chicken and turkey, right? What about ham? I used to make meat or chicken casseroles with noodles, but noodles seem to be on the restricted list. What would an alternative to noodles or spaghetti be?

Also question about soda and fruit juice: I have diet A&W root beer in refrig and it has 0 carbs and 0 fat. Isn't that a good choice?

What about fruit juices? Are there any on the market that would be a good choice for pre diabetes?

Thank you:)

I eat red meat but limit it to about once per week or so, seem to lean on pork and nuts as my go to protein source.

Noodles sub as others suggested zucchini is hands down best sub I've tried.

I drink 2-3 diet Mt Dews daily, not saying it's goood but what I do.

I'm not familiar with juices currently, don't have lows much so don't drink juices.

princesslinda

I pretty much eat whatever meat I want, just adding no sweet sauces or breading. I drink iced green tea or hot tea in the mornings and drink a lot of the Crystal Light mixes (I buy the Walmart Brand, making 2 qts at a time). The rest of the time, I drink water, usually about 6 bottles a day, which helps me not be so hungry. I do occasionally have a diet drink, my faves are Diet Dr. Pepper and Diet Mountain Dew. I try to avoid dark sodas (with the exception of root beer). My brother in law is a dialysis patient and has to watch his phosphates and was told to avoid dark sodas other than root beer.

For milk, I like the Hood Calorie Countdown chocolate.

Kit

I eat just about any meat out there, with maybe a few exceptions, but mostly for personal preference.  I lean towards the fattier cuts with the benefit that they are cheaper and usually end up tasting 5 times better.  :)  You do want to be careful with ham though as it can have added sugar in it.  If you are buying pre packaged, just look at the nutritional label and ingredients list.

Fruit juice is pretty much pure sugar with most useful components removed and tossed out with the pulp.  Good for treating lows, but not much else IMO.

I don't have much of an opinion on soda.  I stopped drinking it when I was in collage and just couldn't afford it.  I can't stand the taste now, even well before I was diagnosed diabetic.  I adore teas however, hot or cold.  And the true Lemon (or True Citrus) link above is great.  My favorite is grapefruit.  I mix a packet with some club soda in cases where I'm craving a bit of fizz.

Barry6547

I agree with Kit about watching ham for added sugar.  I always check the number of carbs per serving on most all foods I purchase.  I have found spaghetti squash a great way to substitute for noodles...and Samurai Guy was spot on with cauliflower.  That has probably become my favorite vegetable as it can be fixed so many ways...and for me, it satisfies my appetite for rice or potatoes.

miketurco

Everything on your original list is totally fine except noodles and fruit juice. Probably not a good idea to drink tons of the soda, but the no-carb root beer is fine in terms of your blood sugar. (I hear that for some people that's different, but have never heard anyone say that's true for them.) Prepared/packaged meats almost always have added sugar. Some very little and some a lot.

When I buy packaged meat, I get it from the pre-packaged section so I can read the labels. Never know what you're getting from the deli unless you ask them. That being said, there's a local chain, Winco, and I like their deli. I emailed them for nutrition info on a couple of their deli products and they sent back a PDF of everything. Almost zero carbs/sugar across the board on their deli meats.

adiantum

Ive read so many praises for them here on df that Ive asked Santa for one.

We have one of those large " Pencil Sharpener" tools for making spaghetti out of zucchini. It's great!!

Kit

We have one of those large " Pencil Sharpener" tools for making spaghetti out of zucchini. It's great!!

I've got one like that myself.  I think I got it for around $15 on Amazon.  I've looked at the more delux models but they look like more of a hassle than its worth.  I can spiralize a couple of zucchini and have it cleaned up and put away in like 5 minutes.  Its so fast and easy.

meyery2k

I have had really good luck "spiraling" daikon (peel it first), cutting with scissors and then frying in bacon grease left over from the bacon I make for breakfast.  Like faux hash browns.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.