Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mrs_burb

Nutrition help for high BG in 14th week of pregnancy

mrs_burb

Hello all! I am 31 years old, diabetic for about 9 years but due to lack of insurance and a proper doctor as well as sheer laziness and irresponsibility it has been pretty poorly maintained. I am now almost 14 weeks pregnant and when they took my a1c at 8 weeks it was 9.8. I was very hesitant and anxious for the rest of my first trimester but I'm on 60/30 insulin N/R and 55/30 in the evening and it has gotten a little better. I guess what I'm looking for here is nutritional help. I think I could really benefit from a strict meal plan. Any advice? Thanks in advance! and congrats to all of the fellow soon-to-be mommies :D

miketurco

Hi, welcome to the boards. I can definitely see your concern. Yes, the first part is managing your diet. If you tell us what you eat now, it'd help a lot. Low-carb is the way to go and there are ways to do that that aren't so difficult. For example, replace a breakfast of oatmeal with bacon and eggs and that's step one. (Only if you don't already do that.)

Also, you're taking mixed insulin instead of two different insulins. Really important that you learn about insulin in terms of how much to use and how to calculate doses. So I'm going to start with a question there: do you know your needs for long acting insulin in terms of units? What about how to calculate mealtime insulin?

Wishing you the best! Congratulations! You can do this!

Mike

jwags

Since you are pregnant,,it is important to eat healthy for your baby. I would talk to your medical team about getting a good diet plan that keeps you healthy. It also seems you are on a mixed insulin which may not be as effective as two separate long acting and fast acting insulins. The mixed Insulins don't give as good control as separate insulins. Have you been tested for Type 1? With the young onset of your Diabetes I would check into getting a full antibody panel.

NoraWI

Being 76, I haven't been pregnant in a very long time. But, then, Mike has never been in that condition :D. However, his advice is right on. Cutting down on carbohydrates is a dietary necessity for control of diabetes, as is matching insulin to your body's needs. And that can't be done by taking mixed insulins like the ones you are taking. You have a bit of a learning curve there on making the change to a separate basal/bolus regimen but the results will be immensely beneficial to both you and your growing baby. I don't think I'm mistaken, but the recommendation for pregnant women is an A1c in the normal range, the lower the better. You can do it!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.