Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Suzamom

how long to convert from 1.5 to 1

Suzamom

I already know the answer to my question....no one knows, but I want to see if you can help me gain some insight.

Obese 13 year old with positive GAD antibodes (6.7....ref range goes to 5), Ai2 antibodies (>50) and Zinc uptake antibodies (>500) and no insulin antibodies. Aic was 6.6. Waiting on insulin level results. Elevated BUN. Biological brother type 1 for 7 years and pumping for 1.

Assumed that we would have a good deal of time before things turned ugly. Saw Endo on Friday. He said, "Next appointment in a month, unless I see you before then." I was surprised. I know the body is already fighting the beta cells but does it really happen THAT fast??

Bs is beautiful in 80-100 range all day. Diet is spot on but exercise is a challenge. 75 minutes per day is the standard.

Are we looking at weeks, months or years?? Thanks!!

Uff Da

Are we looking at weeks, months or years??

Any of the above. Sorry to inform you. I'd be more inclined to guess weeks or months in your son's case, rather than years, but in any one individual case, anything can happen. In people as young as your son, type 1 usually comes on pretty fast. It may be just something of a fluke that you caught it so early in your son's case. Most people don't know what to look for, so often don't recognize problems until the child goes into DKA.

I've also seen research indicating that, at least for adults, those who show more than one of the tested autoantibodies types have it progress faster than those with only one type. Your son shows three different types.

Enjoy what time you have without full blown diabetes while you can, and good luck. 

NoraWI

1.5 IS a Type 1, albeit a slower progressing sort. As Uff Da said above, no telling how long until all beta cells are virtually gone. Could go on for years.

oblivious

My beta cells worked for almost 6 years from diabetes detection to now at basically no function left.

I think how long they work is very individually and depends on a lot of variables..

Just keep track of dosage and keep an eye on when you have to increase dosage.
When this stabilizes for months and you don`t have to adjust the dosage any more, the beta cells are probably gone or close to gone.

Confer with your endo on this as well.

jwags

Sincehis HbA1 c is already 6.6, he is already in diabetic range. What was his c-peptide score. many Type 1.5's still make their own insulin for awhile. There is no telling how quickly this will decline and he will need insulin. often they start you off on type 2 drugs to help you become more sensitive to your own insulin, as long as you make it.

Cora

At age 13, this isn't really T1.5, it's classic T1. So the odds are that the honeymoon phase will most likely be typically short as with other kids. Children's immune systems, when triggered with diabetes, tend to react much more fiercely and quickly as opposed to when it happens in adults. So I would count on at most a year of wonky and sporadic insulin production and then things will most likely settle. Is every person the same? No. The best you can do is to watch, test, and do the best you can.

Suzamom

Thank you all!! We only lasted 10 days on Metformin....unknown cause of sustained moderate ketones with no illness caused us to stop therapy out of an abundance of caution. It has only been 2 days. Post pandials are definitely inching up slowly. Once we see sustained numbers in the 130-140s, we will start Levemir to allow beta cells a break. Then again, as numbers increase we will start adding a bolus to the Levemir basal. Older son received insulin early and his honeymoon lasted almost an entire year.

Still waiting on c pep and insulin level bw.

ant hill

Obese 13 year old with positive GAD antibodes (6.7....ref range goes to 5), Ai2 antibodies (>50) and Zinc uptake antibodies (>500) and no insulin antibodies. Aic was 6.6. Waiting on insulin level results. Elevated BUN. Biological brother type 1 for 7 years and pumping for 1.

Yes a Classic Type 1, If not diagnosed the drop in weight would be a problem. Type 1.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.