Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pingu82

Type 1.5 or 2

pingu82

Hi,

My friend (33 Yrs) has :-

HbA1c - 11.9

BS Fasting - 270 mg/dl

C-peptide Fasting - 2.5

C-Peptide PP - 5.9

The doctor diagnosed him with Type 2 and put him on Metformin.

I think he has 1.5 and should also take Insulin.

Any comments appreciated !!

miketurco

The C-pep tests show he's producing insulin (a lot of it). That sounds like T2 to me. If he were actually T1, C-pep results would be really low. The appropriate test for T1 is the GADA, which is a test for T1 antibodies. That test (I think) is the only way to know for sure. (Edit: I looked it up. There are other tests.)

Metformin and a change in diet (to low-carb) may be all that's needed to bring your friend's blood sugar into control. Insulin may be needed but it's too early to tell. 

jims_forum

Hi,

My friend (33 Yrs) has :-

HbA1c - 11.9

BS Fasting - 270 mg/dl

C-peptide Fasting - 2.5

C-Peptide PP - 5.9

The doctor diagnosed him with Type 2 and put him on Metformin.

I think he has 1.5 and should also take Insulin.

Any comments appreciated !!

I am not Doctor so have no comment on Type 1.5 versus Type 2. That said I am a type 2 at 30 years plus with this

pesky affliction! I am on metformin and use a Humalog lispro insulin ( fast - lasts 3 to 4 hours) I am very happy with that approach and get good numbers. I have been on all the pills - glpside, glucotrol, Starlix and today hate that stuff.

I also control my diet and eat to my finger prick caveman meter to watch and gauge that as well. I learned the hard way

watching a continuous Glucose monitoring system  -CGMS - Dexcom to watch body 24/7. Besides the metformin and insulin - controlling the diet and sufficient daily exercise  one to 2 miles or weight training is critical to get Diabetes under control.

People always harp  about the sugars and yes you need to watch them closely but the grains /rice/corn - breads are also just as bad.

Initially portion control will be the first simple diet one can implement. As one gets into this; one should examine all the foods you eat and modify diet to reduce spiking and maintain good control. I would also check into Low Carb High fat diets - LCHF

Mediterranean and Paleo diets!

Regarding A1C of 11.9 is most suggestive to me that Liver Dumps, Dawn effects and poor insulin pancreatic islet insulin generation is poor or stalled out. Metformin is the drug dejour used to tell liver to stop loading body with excess glucose. Externally adding liquid insulin helps ease strain on islets and improve pancreas Islet insulin and liver signalling. My A1C was up to 13.3. You also will need an accurate caveman finger prick glucose meter. I have been using the freestyle light and has been reliable and Accurate. Contrary to all  the bs peddled, all meters are not the same and you may need to try a few different models to see what works for you and your body!

For reference Dawn effect results from the liver pre loading Glucose into ones body from about 4:00 am thru 9:00 am preparing your body for wake-up. Unfortunately for type 2 diabetics with poor insulin generation/control, the liver is a right pain loading in excess glucose. Even if you have had great glucose control during the day, the liver will hammer your glucose up to 200+ readings at 4:00 am while you are sleeping driving you nuts!

Best wishes - good luck!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.