Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

miketurco

40+ Drugs to Be Dropped By Insurance

miketurco

This has come up before, and happens every year, but... has been some new folks around & I thought this worth posting. Lantus is one 'em.

https://www.goodrx.com/blog/40-drugs-to-be-dropped-by-insurance/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=sendgrid.com&utm_campaign=em_nurture&utm_content=blog_40_drugs&e=893bca70a6221d56fb38225635020c2d

Hammer

I got my formulary from Express Scripts for the year 2017, and Lantus, Novolog, and all of my other drugs are covered by them.  I called Express Scripts and asked them about the drugs I take, and I was told that all of the drugs that I take will still be covered by them.

jwags

I think if you are on Medicare there are no changes except some price increases. Other insurance plans may have to limit drugs based on cost. I recived one letter lfrom SilverScript saying they would no longer cover a certain cream I use on mynPort and to ask my doctor to prescribe another one.

dice

This has come up before, and happens every year, but... has been some new folks around & I thought this worth posting. Lantus is one 'em.

https://www.goodrx.com/blog/40-drugs-to-be-dropped-by-insurance/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=sendgrid.com&utm_campaign=em_nurture&utm_content=blog_40_drugs&e=893bca70a6221d56fb38225635020c2d

Thank Mike for the info. Mother takes this but she is  still considered a Type II; she take oral meds as well.. BTW my Part D has went fom $50.40 a month to $41.70 under Silverscript.

Moonpie

I got a letter telling me I need to change one of my blood pressure pills, I am not happy about it, but I guess I will comply. 

hexex0

Apparently Caremark is indeed removing Lantus and Toujeo.  Great.  I guess my health care costs just jumped by a lot more than I thought.

http://www.caremark.com/portal/asset/Formulary_Exclusion_Drug_List_OE.pdf

"But perhaps the most worrisome thing about Sanofi’s basal insulin lock-out is also the most understandable: Lantus and Toujeo are being replaced with Eli Lilly and Boehringer Ingelheim’s biosimilar copy of Lantus, Basaglar. That insulin glargine formula is expected to launch in December, and at a discount to the brand."

Hammer

"But perhaps the most worrisome thing about Sanofi’s basal insulin lock-out is also the most understandable: Lantus and Toujeo are being replaced with Eli Lilly and Boehringer Ingelheim’s biosimilar copy of Lantus, Basaglar. That insulin glargine formula is expected to launch in December, and at a discount to the brand."

And let the lawsuits begin!  No generic is the same as the brand name drug, and I have proven that to myself numerous times over the years.  If a brand name drug works for you, that doesn't mean that a generic will do the same.  Generics are junk and should be banned by the FDA.  Once they start coming out with these "generic" insulins", the resulting complications and deaths of people who will be forced to use these generics by their insurance companies will result in huge lawsuits.  As I said, let the lawsuits begin!

hexex0

I have to say, I'm a little concerned.  I don't really want to be switched to a new "biosimilar" insulin that's just hitting the market the month before.  But it looks like my choice is going to be that or pay full retail price for Lantus.

notme

I am on two drugs that are "name brand only". Neurontin and synthroid. I dread the day I go on Medicare. I pray that things change with the end of Obamacare. Who knows.

Fraser

Unless you get your Heath insurance through the exchanges, nothing should change.

If you get our healthcare through the "Obama care exchanges"

You might just have no insurance.

miketurco

I'm good to go with N and R. It's more work, but I save a lot of money and don't need a script for it. I take that, metformin and bp related stuff. FWIW, name brand met is like $500 a bottle and I pay $12/mo-ish for generic.

TX_Clint

So far I've had no issues with using generic instead of name brand. I prefer generic because if I get in a situation where I must pay full price it is much cheaper. However, several of my meds are only available as name brand so they are always threatened by the November med chopping block.

JanetP

I am on medicare and there is always the dreaded doughnut hole at the end of the year.  Talked to my insurance company, a medicare ppo plan, about my Victoza.  I tried to go off of it last year because I could not come up with $350 a month while I was in the doughnut hole and my A1C shot up to 7 even on the max dose of metformin.  They told me about asking my endo to write a letter requesting a "Tier change" for it, which would lower the price some.  The doc has to certify that you cannot do without the med and there is nothing to substitute.  They also told me it would be helpful for when the yearly deductible kicks in come January.

dice

Mike, I checked with our pharmancy & he said that he thought Lantus would still be covered ( we havent recieved anything in the mail) to the contrery; I guess well have to wait & see.

hexex0

Just to update, I received a letter from Caremark today that says they will no longer cover my Lantus scripts and instead I am to obtain a script for Basaglar, Levemirm or Tresiba. Interestingly, they want to charge me more for Basaglar than I was paying for Lantus, which is a bit odd since the whole point was supposed to be that it was a "biosimilar" generic.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.