Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nursenugget

Pre-diabetic swinging over to diabetes

nursenugget

This is my first post on this forum. This is a bit of a "woah is me" post, so I apologize in advance.

My last A1C 2 years ago-ish was 6.014, so into the pre-diabetes range. Well, I have been on/off trying to stave off the onset of Type 2 since then and now I just think my efforts have not been very effective. I have a meter that recently I have been using probably way too much. My sugars are around 99-111, but usually on the higher side (I use the ReliOn Prime, eventhough I am a Canadian). I have no other symptoms of diabetes.

Last week I ate a mochi candy (Japanese rice candy), sort of as a test. I checked my sugar 45 mins afterward and it was 200. I had a meltdown. I ate a healthy dinner and checked my BS 60 mins post-, and it was 117, which is great. 30 minutes after that, I was anxious and sweaty and I was having a low (66.6). So weird. This has never happened to me before. I don't know if this occurred because I had just, the day before, finished antibiotic treatment for a UTI, or if my pancreas is in its death throes and I am tipping over into diabetes land.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, and unfortunately in this case, I am a registered nurse. I have been waiting and waiting to see my doctor and today my appointment arrived; however my doc had to cancel. I have been having a total breakdown this past week and having to wait longer to get a blood requisition is just making me crazy.

This sucks. I know diabetes can be manageable, but I have also seen how detrimental it can be, and I am, in no other terms, freaking. out.

samuraiguy

Welcome to the forums. I know how you feel, my diagnosis came out of left field, but what helped me to get over the angst was to set some blood glucose goals (A1C, fasting and 1 and 2 hour after meal) and then focused my daily activities (eating lower carbs, exercising more, losing extra weight, taking meds if needed) on keeping my blood glucose in my goal range. Getting stressed just raises your blood glucose even more so take solace in the fact there are many people on this forum who have have managed their diabetes well for many years and either stopped, minimized or kept from having any complications.

jwags

I was dx'd almost 10 years ago with a HbA1 c of almost 10.9 I had no symptoms either. I think one thing doctors fail to tell us is pre diabetes is already diabetes and is serious. I was in the best shape of my life when I was dx'd.

Fraser

Most likely you had what is known as a reactive low, your body over compensated for the spike by over producing insulin, which eventually pushed you BG to a minor low of 66. Put that candy on your list of do not eat!

meyery2k

Welcome!

Please try not to be overanxious.  If you do get diagnosed with diabetes then, yes, you will have to acknowledge that fact and respect it but not fear it.  IF you are pre-D then it is better to just start management now and possibly stave this off.

I was diagnosed by surprise nearly 1 year ago and, to be honest, it was a catalyst to get my life in order.  I am healthier now and, ironically, might live longer because of diabetes.

Many here find that it can be managed with diet, exercise, and taking the first-line medications like Metformin.

You have a meter and you are using it, very good!!!

The best way to use the meter is to, as we say here, eat to your meter which you are doing.  Test right before eating, test at 60-90 minutes after, then 2 hours, then 3 hours if your 2 hour reading is not near where you started.  This will help you see what foods, and what quantities your body can tolerate. 

Try to reduce (with the goal of elimination) bread, rice, potatoes, pasta, sugar. and fruit.  Your primary source of carbohydrates should be primarily non-root vegetables.  Many here, including me, have seen dramatic improvements in their A1C readings and find daily management to be very simple following this advice.

You will find many wonderful recipes here and, if you are willing to think around corners a little, will find the diet to not be boring at all.  I actually eat a much greater variety of food now than ever before.

Quality life does not end with a diagnosis of diabetes.  It is something we learn to live with and incorporate into our lives.  We do everything non-diabetics do except eat all the carbohydrates.

I hope you decide to become a member of our community.  You will get sound advice from people that have lived with this for decades. ~ Mike

adiantum

Welcome to the forum nursenugget. 

I'd not worry about being unable to see the doctor immediately as you have the skills to reduce your carb intake & know that exercise must be incorporated into the plan.

Perhaps you have been running high for some time if that UTI is telling a story.

The difficulty I envisage will be addressing the ambiguity in nutrition for diabetics.  The ADA are by far too generous  in carb allowance & preach that fat is the enemy.

Low fat items are higher in carbs then regular products , so I avoid anything low fat.

Glad you joined us & I hope you become a regular contributor.

Lee

nursenugget

Thank you everyone, for your kind responses. Unfortunately I am still super anxious (I know that's not helping), but I'm trying to relax until I get my bloodwork done. I am a numbers person. It will make me feel better, once I know what's going on. I am hoping above all that I am still "just" pre-diabetic, but this high-then-low really has me terrified that I'm now diabetic.

adiantum

Cheer up nursenugget & try to  relax.

I was Dx with an A1c 10 years ago with an A1c of 11

Since then it has always been 6.1 to 6.3 & that is with no meds, just diet & exercise.

I really don't believe there is such a thing as pre-d unless you consider  ones genetics then I guess I've always been pre d until the Dx

Fraser

Well nurse nugget , I was dx with An A1c of 12.0 now 5.6' no meds, my best friend and ex wife is a nurse. Probably the worse patient I know.

And every time the kids coughed they were going to die ; - )

It is really hard to relax when you know too much.

Welcome to the site and congradulations on becoming a member.

Please retread my reactive low post.

Kit

Hi and welcome to the group.

Everyone is allowed the periodic woe is me moment.  We're all human.  As long as you pick yourself up afterwards and keep on working, you are good in my eyes.  :)

It does indeed sound like your response to the candy was a high followed by a reactive low.  Your BG went high enough that your pancreas put out a large amount of insulin which eventually managed to bring the number down, but over compensated.

To be 100% honest, pre diabetes\diabetes, its all really the same thing.  Many full blown T2 diabetics still produce insulin and often over produce.  The problem is our bodies struggle to be able to make use of it.  I wouldn't be too worried about your pancreas giving up the ghost at this point.  :)

As for numbers, I do my best to try to stay within non diabetic ranges.  It takes more initial effort, but once you get used to the new way of eating/new lifestyle, its pretty easy to stick with.  At least it is for me.

I don't crave candy very often.  but when I do, I like to go for fat bombs.  There are a ton of different recipes out there, but my favorite is a chocolate/peanutbutter mix.

6 Tbsp Coconut oil

6 Tbsp Unsalted Butter

6 Tbsp Natural peanutbutter (creamy by personal preference)

3 Tbsp unsweetened coco powder

Sweetener to taste (I personally use the Davinci SF syrups, 3 caps full) but any sweetener should work.

Stick the first 3 items in a measuring cup and nuke in 30 second increments until liquid.

Add in cocoa powder and sweetener and stir until well blended (it happens easily)

I poor into mini muffin tins.  This recipe makes 24.

Freeze for 1 hour, then I pop them out of the tins and put into ziplock bags and store in the freezer.  Taste almost just like Reeses Peanutbutter Cups and each one has around 1g carbs and 1g protein and takes nect to no time to make.

Remove the peanutbutter and add shredded unsweetened coconut for a change of flavor (Mounds Bar)

If you google fat bombs you will find a massive variation of flavors.

nursenugget

I have to share my news, because it came as a complete shock to me. My A1C is 5.4! No 'beetus for me, at least for now. I had a bit of a pig out moment at a party last night, but make no mistake, I am continuing with my rigorous exercise and diet ("lifestyle") change. I am overweight and definitely carry my weight in the middle, so I know I am at risk. Thank you all for the kind, welcoming and reassuring responses. I will be sure to continue to visit this forum!

Cheers,

Michelle

meyery2k

Congratulations Michelle! It would certainly not hurt to adopt some of the principles here as you plan to do. For what it is worth, I am glad you are not a member of ClubD!

mystiquarte

This is my first post on this forum. This is a bit of a "woah is me" post, so I apologize in advance.

My last A1C 2 years ago-ish was 6.014, so into the pre-diabetes range. Well, I have been on/off trying to stave off the onset of Type 2 since then and now I just think my efforts have not been very effective. I have a meter that recently I have been using probably way too much. My sugars are around 99-111, but usually on the higher side (I use the ReliOn Prime, eventhough I am a Canadian). I have no other symptoms of diabetes.

Last week I ate a mochi candy (Japanese rice candy), sort of as a test. I checked my sugar 45 mins afterward and it was 200. I had a meltdown. I ate a healthy dinner and checked my BS 60 mins post-, and it was 117, which is great. 30 minutes after that, I was anxious and sweaty and I was having a low (66.6). So weird. This has never happened to me before. I don't know if this occurred because I had just, the day before, finished antibiotic treatment for a UTI, or if my pancreas is in its death throes and I am tipping over into diabetes land.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, and unfortunately in this case, I am a registered nurse. I have been waiting and waiting to see my doctor and today my appointment arrived; however my doc had to cancel. I have been having a total breakdown this past week and having to wait longer to get a blood requisition is just making me crazy.

This sucks. I know diabetes can be manageable, but I have also seen how detrimental it can be, and I am, in no other terms, freaking. out.

UTI's and other kind of infections can give you a high blood glucose reading; my readings are high atm and my diabetic educators always ask if I have or could have an infection/s so don't freak out after your completely healthy do another check.  If your worried about crossing over to diabetes land then why are you eating crappy food and sugar!!  you know that diabetics can't process sugar...right?  you can't eat any sugar period.  food that have natural sugars you limit or not eat the choice is yours...for example:  I'd choose to eat fruit that has natural sugars but I would choose not to eat a potato or corn or peas...why?  they all have natural sugars...it comes to nutritional value, there is more nutrition and antioxidants in the fruit than the starchy vegies....I'd prefer to eat 'free value' vegies because there sugar content is negligible and don't count as a carb it's all about the choices

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.